Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Rishi cash give away

including Budgets
Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Rishi cash give away

Postby Adamski » September 11th, 2023, 1:08 pm

Rishi announced £1.6 billion record uk contribution to international climate change fund to impress his friend Neranda Modhi. On top of our foreign aid budget is part funding India's space programme. Every time we have a G20 gathering of the great and the good, our politicians are grandstanding to look important and are reckless with our money to boost their egos. I'm sure be no different when Starmer gets in, throw around billions of tax payers money like confetti! :roll:

ElCid

Re: Rishi cash give away

Postby ElCid » September 13th, 2023, 4:46 pm

Adamski wrote:Rishi announced £1.6 billion record uk contribution to international climate change fund to impress his friend Neranda Modhi. On top of our foreign aid budget is part funding India's space programme. Every time we have a G20 gathering of the great and the good, our politicians are grandstanding to look important and are reckless with our money to boost their egos. I'm sure be no different when Starmer gets in, throw around billions of tax payers money like confetti! :roll:

Could you include a reference to where our foreign aid budget is financing India's space program. I have tried to do this and failed but perhaps your googling skills are better than mine.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » September 13th, 2023, 6:55 pm

We give quite a lot of money to India, and India has a space programme, so indirectly we help fund their space programme.

Can't really blame Rishsi for this nonsense, it's been going on a long time, govts like to kid themselves that it helps us in some way.

V8

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » September 13th, 2023, 7:10 pm

88V8 wrote:We give quite a lot of money to India, and India has a space programme, so indirectly we help fund their space programme.

Can't really blame Rishsi for this nonsense, it's been going on a long time, govts like to kid themselves that it helps us in some way.

V8

There are rumours that there are Chinese, and Indian spies (amongst others) within elevated positions within parliament. Personally I don't think anyone who isn't at least third generation British should be permitted to work within Parliament. Weird things tend to happen if you neither protect your borders (defend the realm) or weed out those that might not have British best interests at heart.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » September 14th, 2023, 9:27 am

1nvest wrote:There are rumours that there are Chinese, and Indian spies (amongst others) within elevated positions within parliament. Personally I don't think anyone who isn't at least third generation British should be permitted to work within Parliament. Weird things tend to happen if you neither protect your borders (defend the realm) or weed out those that might not have British best interests at heart.

So no Sunak,Braverman or Patel?

Actually you might be on to something :lol:

Eob

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » September 14th, 2023, 9:39 am

robbelg wrote:
1nvest wrote:There are rumours that there are Chinese, and Indian spies (amongst others) within elevated positions within parliament. Personally I don't think anyone who isn't at least third generation British should be permitted to work within Parliament. Weird things tend to happen if you neither protect your borders (defend the realm) or weed out those that might not have British best interests at heart.

So no Sunak,Braverman or Patel?

Actually you might be on to something :lol:

Eob

No BJ either

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » September 14th, 2023, 1:21 pm

1nvest wrote:Personally I don't think anyone who isn't at least third generation British should be permitted to work within Parliament. Weird things tend to happen if you neither protect your borders (defend the realm) or weed out those that might not have British best interests at heart.

The Civil Service used to have rules about this. I remember having to check my parents' place of birth.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » September 14th, 2023, 1:25 pm

1nvest wrote:
88V8 wrote:We give quite a lot of money to India, and India has a space programme, so indirectly we help fund their space programme.

V8

There are rumours that there are Chinese, and Indian spies (amongst others) within elevated positions within parliament. Personally I don't think anyone who isn't at least third generation British should be permitted to work within Parliament. Weird things tend to happen if you neither protect your borders (defend the realm) or weed out those that might not have British best interests at heart.

Wow! I thought those attitudes had died out years ago.

Would have excluded Winston Churchill, among many others.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » September 14th, 2023, 1:45 pm

Spet0789 wrote:

Winston Churchill's father was Randolph Henry Spencer Churchill whose father was John Spencer-Churchill, 7th Duke of Marlborough and can trace his ancestry back to at least John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough in the 17th century (and probably a lot further).

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 14th, 2023, 1:58 pm

Wasn't it Winston Churchill's mother who was American.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » September 14th, 2023, 2:01 pm

richfool wrote:Wasn't it Winston Churchill's mother who was American.

Yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Randolph_Churchill

Jennie Spencer-Churchill CI RRC DStJ (née Jerome; 9 January 1854 – 29 June 1921), known as Lady Randolph Spencer-Churchill,[a] was an American-born British socialite, the wife of Lord Randolph Churchill, and the mother of British prime minister Sir Winston Churchill.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » September 14th, 2023, 3:28 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:
Spet0789 wrote:

Winston Churchill's father was Randolph Henry Spencer Churchill whose father was John Spencer-Churchill, 7th Duke of Marlborough and can trace his ancestry back to at least John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough in the 17th century (and probably a lot further).

He had a mother too…that’s how babies get made.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » September 14th, 2023, 3:37 pm

Although not a prospective parliamentarian, amusingly King Charles would also fail this arbitrary and racist test.

spasmodicus
Lemon Slice

Postby spasmodicus » September 14th, 2023, 3:52 pm

Spet0789 wrote:Although not a prospective parliamentarian, amusingly King Charles would also fail this arbitrary and racist test.

and the likes of Guy Burgess and Donald Maclean probably passed MI6's tests (did they seem like jolly good chaps?) with flying colours. It's the ones who seem most British that are the most dangerous
S

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » September 14th, 2023, 4:06 pm

Spet0789 wrote:Although not a prospective parliamentarian, amusingly King Charles would also fail this arbitrary and racist test.

Which Charles are you talking about? Charles I?

A number of monarchs would fail this test. Several Norman and Angevin monarchs - and even earlier probably Canute as well. Tudors? Georges, William.....

'British' is a moveable concept.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » September 14th, 2023, 4:52 pm

The royals were German weren't they? Yes crazy for bankrupt Britain to give money to countries rich enough to have a space programme or nuclear weapons and a large army.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 14th, 2023, 5:03 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:The royals were German weren't they? Yes crazy for bankrupt Britain to give money to countries rich enough to have a space programme or nuclear weapons and a large army.

I would have thought that India is at this point richer than the UK, and so they should be sending aid to us.

After all did India not buy our leading steel and car companies?

And you cannot move in Silicon Valley for rich South Asian tech billionaires, like the CEO of Adobe and these guys:

https://gulfnews.com/special-reports/me ... %20billion)&text=Born%20in%20Chennai%2C%20India%2C%20Kavitark,mathematics%20from%20Chennai's%20Loyola%20College.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » September 14th, 2023, 8:43 pm

77ss wrote:

Which Charles are you talking about? Charles I?

A number of monarchs would fail this test. Several Norman and Angevin monarchs - and even earlier probably Canute as well. Tudors? Georges, William.....

'British' is a moveable concept.

The current one!

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » September 14th, 2023, 11:49 pm

Always amusing to see how racists consider/define racism and are all too quick to show/shout the racist card :lol:

Interesting to see the UN claiming trillions from Britain for reparations of past slavery of blacks, whilst giving no regard to the massive degrees of historic slavery of whites. In the 17th century coastal dwellers of Britain lived in constant terror of being kidnapped and sold into slavery in North Africa.

A generation is around 25 years, three generations is around just 75 years of domicile history before being considered a citizen committed enough to be worthy of setting domestic laws or/and governance. If you want to seek out racism then look to Japan, African states ..etc. and their (lack of) diversity of MP's.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » September 15th, 2023, 12:06 am

1nvest wrote:

Always amusing to see how racists consider/define racism and are all too quick to show/shout the racist card :lol:

Interesting to see the UN claiming trillions from Britain for reparations of past slavery of blacks, whilst giving no regard to the massive degrees of historic slavery of whites. In the 17th century coastal dwellers of Britain lived in constant terror of being kidnapped and sold into slavery in North Africa.

A generation is around 25 years, three generations is around just 75 years of domicile history before being considered a citizen committed enough to be worthy of setting domestic laws or/and governance. If you want to seek out racism then look to Japan, African states ..etc. and their (lack of) diversity of MP's.

I would agree with you in respect of Japan. The rest of your post reads like a National Front leaflet. The industrial-scale enslavement which saw Africans taken to North America never happened to white people. Personally I find all this talk of reparations just silly. What’s done is done. But it doesn’t change the facts.

And if you don’t think that having a three-generation requirement for MPs isn’t racist then you’re delusional. 1930s Germany had similar laws.

Return to “The Economy”