Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

OT: Unsure how to understand a joke

Laughter is the best medicine, find and post jokes. nothing too saucy please, Dad jokes, Current news jokes..
Forum rules
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

OT: Unsure how to understand a joke

Postby NomoneyNohoney » June 17th, 2021, 7:45 pm

I'm at a loss to exactly understand a joke, so would appreciate if anyone could help. (I was going to post on DAK but that's for factual answers, not speculative answers, so apologies for being OT)

Anyway, the joke is simple: "I'm not saying it's rough in Stevenage but Poundland are selling Father's Day cards in packs of 5."

I'm assuming that is hinting that a baby's father could be any one of five men? Or, is it for a child to send to the men who have drifted in and out of his Mothers' life and been introduced as their new Daddy? Or is a Mum expected to send it to the five different fathers of her kids?

Just at a loss to know how to interpret it, so any suggestions appreciated.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: OT: Unsure how to understand a joke

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 17th, 2021, 7:54 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I'm at a loss to exactly understand a joke, so would appreciate if anyone could help. (I was going to post on DAK but that's for factual answers, not speculative answers, so apologies for being OT)

Anyway, the joke is simple: "I'm not saying it's rough in Stevenage but Poundland are selling Father's Day cards in packs of 5."

I'm assuming that is hinting that a baby's father could be any one of five men? Or, is it for a child to send to the men who have drifted in and out of his Mothers' life and been introduced as their new Daddy? Or is a Mum expected to send it to the five different fathers of her kids?

20p a card - daylight robbery :lol:

AiY

SW10Chap

Postby SW10Chap » June 17th, 2021, 8:02 pm

I suspect the mother is buying the cards

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 17th, 2021, 8:14 pm

Snorvey wrote:
I'd say anyone of those.

That's what the Mum said...

https://i.imgur.com/ekQpV59.gif

Cheers!

Itsallaguess

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » June 18th, 2021, 9:29 am

Everyone has a sense of humour but not every individual person's humour makes sense to everyone else.

For example, the following is not my humour but others may find it amusing:

Completely misunderstood pride month.
Does anyone want to buy 15 lions?

Whereas this is:

A Liverpool girl goes to the welfare office to register for child benefit.
"How many children?" asks the welfare officer.
"Ten" replies the Liverpool girl,
"Ten?" says the welfare worker. "What are their names?" "Nathan, Nathan, Nathan, Nathan, Nathan,Nathan, Nathan, Nathan, Nathan and Nathan" replies the Liverpool girl
"Doesn't that get confusing?"
"Naah..." says the Liverpool girl, "It's great because if they are out playing in the street I just have to shout 'Nathan yer dinner's ready!' or ''Nathan go to bed now!' and they all do it.
"What if you want to speak to one individually?" says the curious welfare worker.
"That's easy," says the Liverpool girl... "I just use their surnames"

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 18th, 2021, 9:50 am

"I'm not saying it's rough in Stevenage but Poundland are selling Father's Day cards in packs of 5."

Is it still bad in Stevenage? We lived there for 5 years and, apart from the large parks for the kids, I hated it. We used to call Stevenage and Luton 'the armpits of England'. On arrival we had to change our choice of school for our eldest because a kid burnt it down! New houses were being built so fast that over five years, a simple drive to the centre became a nightmare.

Steve

PS OB joke:
At school, I was always burying my head in the sand. The third time I did it, he expelled me. ;)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 18th, 2021, 4:04 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I'm at a loss to exactly understand a joke, so would appreciate if anyone could help. (I was going to post on DAK but that's for factual answers, not speculative answers, so apologies for being OT)

Are they not simply implying that family life in Stevenage is possibly not that err... stable? Along the lines you suggest.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » June 18th, 2021, 4:33 pm

Cards like this tend to be purchased by the women in the family, because the men wont bother to remember (see also emotional labour)

So one card for her father
one card for her childs father (the husband)
one card for the grandfather, because her father won't think to buy one
one card for the husbands father, ditto
One card to save for emergencies

Obviously this 'joke' was written by some bloke who has no idea what emotional labour is.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » June 18th, 2021, 5:07 pm

“I’m not saying it's rough in Stevenage but Poundland are selling Father's Day cards in packs of 5."
Makes sense to me, one purchase and you’re set for five years.
It’s like buying a book of undenominated stamps - inflation hedge. They’ll probably be four packs next year; “shrinkflation”. Just look at Wagon Wheels. And if I see an item of clothing I like, I tend to buy two or three of the same: I hate “clothes shopping”.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 18th, 2021, 6:08 pm

I'm not saying it's rough in Luton/Harlow/Trowbridge, but they've had to cancel this year's nativity play again. Three wise men and a virgin? That's what you might call a casting problem. :|

BJ

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » June 18th, 2021, 7:22 pm

I initially took it as 5 cards for the 5 children for their five different fathers. :o

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 18th, 2021, 7:30 pm

Gerry557 wrote:I initially took it as 5 cards for the 5 children for their five different fathers. :o

Why would the five children only need five cards if the fathers were different?

I hold that if there was only one father of all five children, five cards (one from each brat) would still be required.

OB joke:

Q: Why did the baker's hands smell terrible?
A: Because he needed a pooh.

Courtesy of my eldest daughter when she was about six.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 18th, 2021, 7:44 pm

Mike4 wrote:OB joke:

I'm half-minded to give you an obligatory thwack as I'm sure you're supplied that OJ before. I won't do it though because I'm too lazy to put in the footwork to demonstrate it. C.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 18th, 2021, 7:48 pm

csearle wrote:
Mike4 wrote:OB joke:

I'm half-minded to give you an obligatory thwack as I'm sure you're supplied that OJ before. I won't do it though because I'm too lazy to put in the footwork to demonstrate it. C.

Strangely, your post is failing to display correctly. I can't see your OJ. Not even a recycled one!!

Return to “Laughing Lemons”