Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Geek test #4

Laughter is the best medicine, find and post jokes. nothing too saucy please, Dad jokes, Current news jokes..
Forum rules
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
laladonny
Lemon Slice

Geek test #4

Postby laladonny » July 15th, 2021, 12:25 am

George Bush: Who's on first?
Ariel Sharon: Me?
George Bush: No, the guy on first base.
George Bush: You are on first?
Ariel Sharon: No, I'm asking you. Me?
George Bush: Who?
Ariel Sharon: Wait, you mean that fellow over there?
George Bush: So he is on first?
Ariel Sharon: What are you talking about? There are no girls on this team.
George Bush: So who's on first?

laladonny
Lemon Slice

Re: Geek test #4

Postby laladonny » July 15th, 2021, 11:58 pm

In Hebrew, the word meaning "who" is pronounced "me", the word for "he" is pronounced "who" and the word for "she" is pronounced "he".

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 17th, 2021, 12:57 am

laladonny wrote:In Hebrew, the word meaning "who" is pronounced "me", the word for "he" is pronounced "who" and the word for "she" is pronounced "he".
Thank you for the education. Without that the wit was quite unfathomable. C.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 17th, 2021, 10:31 am

British English had many sources – predominantly Old English (Anglo-Saxon), Old Norse, Latin and French (medieval Norman French is still used occasionally in Parliament) – but the import of Hebrew is not one of its multifarious etymological qualities. Although the use of Yiddish (which is Germanic, not Hebraic) is common in New York, it is somewhat rare in old York, in spite of its having a Jewish settlement until as recently as 1190.
Sorry laladonny

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 17th, 2021, 1:09 pm

csearle wrote:
laladonny wrote:In Hebrew, the word meaning "who" is pronounced "me", the word for "he" is pronounced "who" and the word for "she" is pronounced "he".
Thank you for the education. Without that the wit was quite unfathomable. C.

Much more fathomable is the classic Abbott & Costello Who's on first? :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » July 21st, 2021, 5:03 pm

stewamax wrote:British English had many sources – predominantly Old English (Anglo-Saxon), Old Norse, Latin and French (medieval Norman French is still used occasionally in Parliament) – but the import of Hebrew is not one of its multifarious etymological qualities. Although the use of Yiddish (which is Germanic, not Hebraic) is common in New York, it is somewhat rare in old York, in spite of its having a Jewish settlement until as recently as 1190.
Sorry laladonny

Yiddish - gazump

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Postby Padders72 » July 21st, 2021, 5:08 pm

stewamax wrote:British English had many sources – predominantly Old English (Anglo-Saxon), Old Norse, Latin and French (medieval Norman French is still used occasionally in Parliament) – but the import of Hebrew is not one of its multifarious etymological qualities. Although the use of Yiddish (which is Germanic, not Hebraic) is common in New York, it is somewhat rare in old York, in spite of its having a Jewish settlement until as recently as 1190.
Sorry laladonny

Umm the settlement of which you speak pretty much ceased to exist that year in a genocidal event at Clifford's tower. Such pogroms were repeated all over Europe at the time and just goes to show that the events of the 20th Century had many precedents sadly. I would imagine there are many more jews living in York today than in 1189, certainly there are more than in 1191.

I would say to the OP, if you have to explain, it just isnt all that funny ;)

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » August 1st, 2021, 5:50 pm

Do you know the Hebrew for 'Oh, how we laughed!!' ?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 1st, 2021, 6:28 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:

Google Translate suggests: אוי כמה צחקנו :lol:

Hope this helps

--kiloran

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 1st, 2021, 8:08 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:

Oy vey!

Return to “Laughing Lemons”