Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fog

Laughter is the best medicine, find and post jokes. nothing too saucy please, Dad jokes, Current news jokes..
Forum rules
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Fog

Postby brightncheerful » September 15th, 2021, 12:08 pm

Driving in fog this morning, I saw a sign stating 70mph. I found it hard to reach that speed and thought it dangerous. Perhaps the maximum should be reduced in these circumstances.

--

Reminds me of a cartoon in Punch magazine or was it Private Eye; anyhow:
Two people in an open-top sports car, Driver says to passenger "splendid! a nice bit of fog. Now they won't see us doing more than 70".

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Fog

Postby stewamax » September 16th, 2021, 8:55 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Two people in an open-top sports car, Driver says to passenger "splendid! a nice bit of fog. Now they won't see us doing more than 70".

Sounds like a 'Peter Simple'* quote from J. Bonington Jagworth who espoused "the basic right of every motorist to drive as fast as he pleases, how he pleases and over what or whom he pleases" and was spokesman of the Motorists' Liberation Front

* the late Michael Wharton

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » September 17th, 2021, 9:01 am

stewamax wrote:Sounds like a 'Peter Simple'* quote from J. Bonington Jagworth who espoused "the basic right of every motorist to drive as fast as he pleases, how he pleases and over what or whom he pleases" and was spokesman of the Motorists' Liberation Front

Sounds insane. Should be called the Motorist's Insane Liberation Front.

Or maybe not...

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » September 17th, 2021, 9:37 pm

Reminds me of paradoxically named speed-bumps which, if anything, make you go slower.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » September 17th, 2021, 10:35 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:
stewamax wrote:Sounds like a 'Peter Simple'* quote from J. Bonington Jagworth who espoused "the basic right of every motorist to drive as fast as he pleases, how he pleases and over what or whom he pleases" and was spokesman of the Motorists' Liberation Front

Sounds insane. Should be called the Motorist's Insane Liberation Front. Or maybe not...

Peter Simple's wonderful world was inhabited by insanely bizarre and eccentric characters, a few of which were modelled on real people such as MP Colonel Sibthorp - am ultra right-wing reactionary who* "...stoutly opposed Catholic Emancipation, Emancipation of the Jews in England, the Reform Act of 1832, the repeal of the Corn Laws, the 1851 Great Exhibition and the construction of the National Gallery. He was convinced that any changes from the Britain of his youth (in the late 18th century) were signs of degeneracy, that Britain was about to go bankrupt, and that the new railways were a passing fad which would soon give way to a return to 'chaises, carriages and stages'"

* from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sibthorp

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » September 18th, 2021, 11:21 am

csearle wrote:Reminds me of paradoxically named speed-bumps which, if anything, make you go slower.

Like level crossings as you can clearly hear they're bumpy when driven over.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » September 23rd, 2021, 9:36 am

kempiejon wrote:
csearle wrote:Reminds me of paradoxically named speed-bumps which, if anything, make you go slower.

And how about zebra crossing and pelican crossing?

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » September 23rd, 2021, 9:53 am

When I see 'Heavy Plant Crossing' I have visions of a huge worn-out geranium slowly dragging itself across the road.

SteelCamel
2 Lemon pips

Postby SteelCamel » September 23rd, 2021, 3:34 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
kempiejon wrote:

And how about zebra crossing and pelican crossing?

There's a whole family of them now. Apart from the abandoned Panda crossing, there's the Puffin, Toucan (for bikes and pedestrians - "two can" cross..) and Pegasus (for horse riders - the height of the button it looks like it's for flying horses).

Should a zebra need to cross the road, it would presumably use a Pegasus crossing - while puffins, toucans, pelicans and Pegasus can fly and so have no need of a crossing. Pandas would seem to be out of luck. And don't even start on the chicken...

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 25th, 2021, 10:40 pm

stewamax wrote:Peter Simple's wonderful world was inhabited by insanely bizarre and eccentric characters, a few of which were modelled on real people such as MP Colonel Sibthorp - am ultra right-wing reactionary who* "...stoutly opposed Catholic Emancipation, Emancipation of the Jews in England, the Reform Act of 1832, the repeal of the Corn Laws, the 1851 Great Exhibition and the construction of the National Gallery. He was convinced that any changes from the Britain of his youth (in the late 18th century) were signs of degeneracy, that Britain was about to go bankrupt, and that the new railways were a passing fad which would soon give way to a return to 'chaises, carriages and stages'"

* from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sibthorp

Probably best not to mention his username on LF.

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » September 28th, 2021, 4:30 pm

stewamax wrote:When I see 'Heavy Plant Crossing' I have visions of a huge worn-out geranium slowly dragging itself across the road.

They remind me of John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids.

Return to “Laughing Lemons”