Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Turkey Bowl

Laughter is the best medicine, find and post jokes. nothing too saucy please, Dad jokes, Current news jokes..
Forum rules
Material posted here that is disparaging towards any group on the basis of race, faith, nationality, gender, disability or sexual orientation will be deleted and any poster of such material risks suspension.
laladonny
Lemon Slice

Turkey Bowl

Postby laladonny » November 16th, 2021, 1:10 am

Every Thanksgiving we play a Turkey Bowl (American style) football game to determine neighborhood bragging rights. One year our team was close to scoring a game-winning touchdown, so we all listened carefully as out quarterback explained a play to us in the huddle.
"I'll look over the defense when we come to the line," he said. "If I call out a color, I'll hand the ball off and we'll run left. If I call out a fruit, I'll throw a pass into the end zone."

Wow, we're actually using strategy this year, I thought. How can we lose with such a wise leader?

When our quarterback came to the line, he looked around, then barked out the signals: "15, 43, 13, orange, hike!"

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Turkey Bowl

Postby bungeejumper » November 16th, 2021, 10:28 am

I'm sure that joke will raise a smile somewhere on the planet, but over here you'd probably have to do a little explanatory work first. Never mind, can I interest you in a couple of hundred well-used cricket gags?

BJ

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 16th, 2021, 11:08 am

bungeejumper wrote:I'm sure that joke will raise a smile somewhere on the planet, but over here you'd probably have to do a little explanatory work first. Never mind, can I interest you in a couple of hundred well-used cricket gags?
Not totally sure we need an explanation as the gist of it (orange coloured fruit confusion) doesn't really rely on the rest. Besides which it would be a bit demoralising for the OP to explain the joke. C.

OJ: Why did the orange fail his exams? Lack of concentration.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 16th, 2021, 11:15 am

csearle wrote:Not totally sure we need an explanation as the gist of it (orange coloured fruit confusion) doesn't really rely on the rest. Besides which it would be a bit demoralising for the OP to explain the joke. C.

Fair enough, Chris, I somehow missed the double meaning of the orange. It must have got lost somewhere among all those numbers and the unexpected hike? Still, it did give my morning caffeine something to work on, so thanks for that.

Now, what is the hike? :)

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 16th, 2021, 2:13 pm

Two great nations divided by a common language? Not for much longer, perhaps?

I believe that Americans sometimes refer to the male member as a "Johnson" - a reference to President Lyndon B, who was inordinately proud of his personal equipment, and who rarely missed an opportunity to put it to use.

Just think, it's taken us British nearly sixty years to catch up with the joke. :lol:

BJ

laladonny
Lemon Slice

Postby laladonny » November 16th, 2021, 11:02 pm

Now, what is the hike?
It's the term used to tell the center to pass the ball to the (usually) quarterback.
You're welcome.
LLD

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 15th, 2021, 12:02 pm

I believe that Americans sometimes refer to the male member as a "Johnson" - a reference to President Lyndon B, who was inordinately proud of his personal equipment, and who rarely missed an opportunity to put it to use.

Just think, it's taken us British nearly sixty years to catch up with the joke. :lol:

BJ

That sign-off always amuses with me, especially in this context.

Return to “Laughing Lemons”