Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

A conundrum

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

A conundrum

Postby NomoneyNohoney » June 26th, 2022, 10:46 pm

Why did a 'free cash withdrawals' ATM send me overdrawn? I love the idea of free cash, can't see how its a good business model, but if it makes me overdrawn I want nothing more to do with it.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: A conundrum

Postby Mike4 » June 26th, 2022, 11:17 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Why did a 'free cash withdrawals' ATM send me overdrawn? I love the idea of free cash, can't see how its a good business model, but if it makes me overdrawn I want nothing more to do with it.

I have to say I too have wondered about this, but that the trap lies in word "withdrawals" I suspect. There has to be 'something' from which to 'withdraw' the cash with no charge.

Its a bit like those department store offers long ago to "Refund the difference if you can buy it cheaper elsewhere". Some wag actually managed to buy it <whatever> cheaper elsewhere, and demanded the advertiser pay him the sum by which his purchase from elsewhere was lower.

Their ingenious response was there had a be a 'fund' in the first place from which to issue a refund. And has he didn't buy it from them in the first place there was no such fund... so he could shove it!

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » June 28th, 2022, 10:01 am

I have similarly been ripped off with an All Day Breakfast. I got to the cafe early to get the best value but, even eating it fairly slowly, it only lasted half an hour.

Julian F. G. W.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 28th, 2022, 10:22 am

jfgw wrote:I have similarly been ripped off with an All Day Breakfast. I got to the cafe early to get the best value but, even eating it fairly slowly, it only lasted half an hour.

Julian F. G. W.

I was similarly disappointed with the bottomless coffee cup. It's not pleasant walking around for the rest of the day in clothes soaked with coffee...

Watis

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 28th, 2022, 12:28 pm

Long ago, I heard of some chap who bought a chocolate bar whose label read: "If you are not completely satisfied by this product, please write to us and we will refund your purchase, plus postage".

So he wrote to the company and explained that he'd eaten the chocolate but he still hadn't been completely satisfied - in fact, he'd found room afterwards for a Big Mac and large fries with a milkshake. The company grumbled, paid up, and amended the wording on its packaging pretty damn fast. ;)

BJ

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 28th, 2022, 12:40 pm

I always thought that meant there was no charge for withdrawing cash
some places do charge for that
It is up to you to know how much you have in the bank... surely

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 28th, 2022, 12:46 pm

pje16 wrote:I always thought that meant there was no charge for withdrawing cash

You're right of course, but . . . this is 'Laughing Lemons'!

Watis

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 28th, 2022, 12:59 pm

Watis wrote:
pje16 wrote:I always thought that meant there was no charge for withdrawing cash

Watis

Please explain the joke then

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 28th, 2022, 6:29 pm

pje16 wrote:
Watis wrote:

Watis

Against my better judgment, I'll take your request at face value rather than as a wind-up.

So, due to sloppy grammar, 'free cash withdrawals' can be interpreted in two ways: the intended 'there are no charges for withdrawing cash from this machine' - or 'your account won't be debited for the value of the cash you withdraw from this machine'. As a grammar Nazi, this has irked me for years.

In similar vein, if you're travelling into London on the Tube, don't forget to take a dog with you. For, as the signs say: 'Dogs must be carried on escalators'. No dog? Take the stairs.

Watis

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 28th, 2022, 6:55 pm

Watis wrote:
pje16 wrote:
Watis wrote:

Watis

Against my better judgment, I'll take your request at face value rather than as a wind-up.

So, due to sloppy grammar, 'free cash withdrawals' can be interpreted in two ways: the intended 'there are no charges for withdrawing cash from this machine' - or 'your account won't be debited for the value of the cash you withdraw from this machine'. As a grammar Nazi, this has irked me for years.

In similar vein, if you're travelling into London on the Tube, don't forget to take a dog with you. For, as the signs say: 'Dogs must be carried on escalators'. No dog? Take the stairs.

Yes but... IMO, this sort of thing is less about "grammar Nazis" and more about "Idiocy". (Could be much the same thing, of course.)

Not sure how funny that is. :)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 28th, 2022, 7:44 pm

Watis wrote:
I was similarly disappointed with the bottomless coffee cup. It's not pleasant walking around for the rest of the day in clothes soaked with coffee...

Watis

The House of Marbles cafe in Devon used to do Medium or Large filter coffees, with free refills.

It was quite surprising how many people paid for the large.

Paul

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 28th, 2022, 7:46 pm

Watis wrote:So, due to sloppy grammar, 'free cash withdrawals' can be interpreted in two ways: the intended 'there are no charges for withdrawing cash from this machine' - or 'your account won't be debited for the value of the cash you withdraw from this machine'. As a grammar Nazi, this has irked me for years.

Watis

I have always loved that dog one - makes me smile every time
If anyonme really thinks 'free cash withdrawals' means giving way money,
I have met some idiots in my time, but that makes them go to the top of the class :lol:

chrissyr
2 Lemon pips

Postby chrissyr » June 28th, 2022, 11:11 pm

I like the road sign (usually on country lanes) that states 'cats eyes removed' - is it a warning about the next village :)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 29th, 2022, 3:23 am

I remember an English lesson in primary school where it was discussed that "Nothing works better than xxxxx" would never work as an advertising slogan because of the obvious
- everytime I see it used these days a bit of me winces

I suppose some might feel similarly to the appending of "with every packet of cornflakes" to signage calling for the "freeing" of high profile political prisoners - whereas I think that's held up quite well

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » June 29th, 2022, 8:02 am

Large posters in shop windows announcing "Sale " or " Everything must go " have always seemed meaningless. If the goods inside are not for sale or they are to be kept , then why stock them in the first place.

Punctuation or a lack can cause confusion viz. "No more whisky " ; " No, more whisky ".

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » June 29th, 2022, 8:26 am

Usually you can find out your balance from the machine.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » June 29th, 2022, 10:59 am

marronier wrote:Large posters in shop windows announcing "Sale " or " Everything must go " have always seemed meaningless. If the goods inside are not for sale or they are to be kept , then why stock them in the first place.

Then there are the ones that say, "Everything But Everything Must Go". Is this just to confuse illiterates? Otherwise, why bother? "There is No Necessity For Everything to Go" means the same thing and would be clearer.

Julian F. G. W.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » June 29th, 2022, 11:01 am

I bought some brake pads once where the packaging clearly advertised, "Asbestos Free". I looked in the box but I didn't find any free asbestos.

Julian F. G. W.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 29th, 2022, 11:27 am

Some of my favourite things are eating the children and not using commas.

Steve

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 29th, 2022, 11:58 am

CliffEdge wrote:

Usually you can find out your balance from the machine.

...if that machine involves strain gauges and you perturb the users calf muscles in a known way; but enough of that former life !

I heard a related joke from Jimmy Cricket once at a wedding

"I asked the girl at the bank to check my balance"
"So she gave a shove!"
"No..no.. I said.... I'm worried about the overdraft"
"So she shut the door behind me."

Now even if you don't imagine the pauses for comic effect between those utterances - it's honestly funnier written here than it was at the time

-sd

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”