Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,mark88man,stirlo,johnstevens77,Rhyd6, for Donating to support the site

What should it be\/

Mind that apostrophe.
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice
Posts: 541
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:31 am
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 93 times

What should it be\/

#347846

Postby NomoneyNohoney » October 15th, 2020, 3:12 am

I found the following question on the internet, "Do you work at WhatsApp or Facebook, did you used to, or do you know anything else about the company?"

I feel that 'used to' is wrong but can't think what it should be - any suggestions please?

servodude
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1933
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:56 am
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 478 times

Re: What should it be\/

#347847

Postby servodude » October 15th, 2020, 3:22 am

NomoneyNohoney wrote:any suggestions please?


"did you use to" ?
- or "have you done so"?

- sd

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Slice
Posts: 355
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:40 am
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: What should it be\/

#347848

Postby GrahamPlatt » October 15th, 2020, 4:23 am

Just “did you”. The “used to” is redundant.
I’d also say that of the “else”

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 5391
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 690 times
Been thanked: 1094 times

Re: What should it be\/

#347849

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 15th, 2020, 5:54 am

Are you, or have you ever been, ... [a Facebook team member]?

dealtn
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2025
Joined: November 21st, 2016, 4:26 pm
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 701 times

Re: What should it be\/

#347889

Postby dealtn » October 15th, 2020, 8:55 am

"...about either company."

Not "...about the company."

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3438
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:17 am
Been thanked: 1872 times

Re: What should it be\/

#348004

Postby Gengulphus » October 15th, 2020, 2:24 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I found the following question on the internet, "Do you work at WhatsApp or Facebook, did you used to, or do you know anything else about the company?"

Even ignoring the clumsy (to put it mildly) wording, what a strange question. Everybody who reads it knows that this question has been asked about the companies, so knows something else about the companies besides whether they personally have worked at either of them - so anyone who answers "No" is not telling the truth!

Gengulphus

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 5391
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 690 times
Been thanked: 1094 times

Re: What should it be\/

#348031

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 15th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Even ignoring the clumsy (to put it mildly) wording, what a strange question.

It's muddled, in a manner typical of conversational speech. The speaker is reformulating (or attempting to formulate) a question on-the-fly, with results as seen.

Dealing with this, and its accompanying ummms and aaahs, is one of the big AI problems that make it particularly hard for machines to understand spoken language.

swill453
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4053
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 312 times
Been thanked: 1392 times

Re: What should it be\/

#348034

Postby swill453 » October 15th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
NomoneyNohoney wrote:I found the following question on the internet, "Do you work at WhatsApp or Facebook, did you used to, or do you know anything else about the company?"

Even ignoring the clumsy (to put it mildly) wording, what a strange question. Everybody who reads it knows that this question has been asked about the companies, so knows something else about the companies besides whether they personally have worked at either of them - so anyone who answers "No" is not telling the truth!

The context (found by Googling) is a journalistic exposé about the companies in question. The quote is in a separate section where the journalist is obviously "digging for dirt" to add to the story.

Scott.

madhatter
Lemon Slice
Posts: 293
Joined: November 12th, 2016, 9:25 pm
Has thanked: 406 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: What should it be\/

#348053

Postby madhatter » October 15th, 2020, 5:11 pm

The context (found by Googling) is a journalistic exposé about the companies in question. The quote is in a separate section where the journalist is obviously "digging for dirt" to add to the story.


It written by a journalist? Not some anonymous herbert but someone who writes for a living?

I fancy that pursed lips are definitely in order, and a perhaps a "tsk tsk".

swill453
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4053
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 312 times
Been thanked: 1392 times

Re: What should it be\/

#348054

Postby swill453 » October 15th, 2020, 5:17 pm

madhatter wrote:
The context (found by Googling) is a journalistic exposé about the companies in question. The quote is in a separate section where the journalist is obviously "digging for dirt" to add to the story.


It written by a journalist? Not some anonymous herbert but someone who writes for a living?

Well I didn't look up their CV...

Scott.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2528
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 11:14 pm
Has thanked: 673 times
Been thanked: 687 times

Re: What should it be\/

#348506

Postby GoSeigen » October 17th, 2020, 4:57 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I found the following question on the internet, "Do you work at WhatsApp or Facebook, did you used to, or do you know anything else about the company?"

I feel that 'used to' is wrong but can't think what it should be - any suggestions please?


OMG, first answer correct and to the point followed by a bunch of OT/irrelevant stuff!

SD was correct, the proper usage is "... did you use to, ..."

I used to ... / Did you use to ...?
I liked to ... / Did you like to ...?
I wanted to .../ Did you want to ...?

etc.

GS

Mike4
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1381
Joined: November 24th, 2016, 3:29 am
Has thanked: 216 times
Been thanked: 494 times

Re: What should it be\/

#348534

Postby Mike4 » October 17th, 2020, 8:57 pm

madhatter wrote:
The context (found by Googling) is a journalistic exposé about the companies in question. The quote is in a separate section where the journalist is obviously "digging for dirt" to add to the story.


It written by a journalist? Not some anonymous herbert but someone who writes for a living?


I doubt they earn very much!

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3438
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:17 am
Been thanked: 1872 times

Re: What should it be\/

#348568

Postby Gengulphus » October 18th, 2020, 7:48 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:Even ignoring the clumsy (to put it mildly) wording, what a strange question.

It's muddled, in a manner typical of conversational speech. The speaker is reformulating (or attempting to formulate) a question on-the-fly, with results as seen.

Dealing with this, and its accompanying ummms and aaahs, is one of the big AI problems that make it particularly hard for machines to understand spoken language.

I know - but this is Pedants' Place, so I feel completely at liberty to comment pedantically on the question that was actually asked!

Gengulphus


Return to “Pedants' Place”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests