Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

I or We

Mind that apostrophe.
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: I or We

Postby servodude » February 22nd, 2022, 10:28 am

stewamax wrote:
AWOL wrote:Do RCs believe that unbaptised children do not gain entry to heaven?

Not any more, since the RC belief in Limbo of Infants was abolished in 2007 by Pope Benedict XVI. The very idea that unbaptised infants who were personally sinless could nevertheless be barred from Heaven by the sins of their ancestors was repugnant even to those RC faithful who unquestioningly believed the RC magisterium, as elaborated by the Pope.

Oh that's good... did that work retrospectively?
Creating a kind of refugee crisis for the celestial city?
Or did it only apply to kids mis-baptised afterwards?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 22nd, 2022, 11:17 am

stewamax wrote:

Not any more, since the RC belief in Limbo of Infants was abolished in 2007 by Pope Benedict XVI. The very idea that unbaptised infants who were personally sinless could nevertheless be barred from Heaven by the sins of their ancestors was repugnant even to those RC faithful who unquestioningly believed the RC magisterium, as elaborated by the Pope.

ah - this possibly explains why in Sunday's "Call the Midwife" there was something i hadn't followed as to why a still born/dead baby was buried in a coffin of an adult with that adult, so it could be buried in consecrated ground (whatever year was being portrayed in this latest episode but I'm guessing the 60s? )

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 22nd, 2022, 12:21 pm

didds wrote:
stewamax wrote:

ah - this possibly explains why in Sunday's "Call the Midwife" there was something i hadn't followed as to why a still born/dead baby was buried in a coffin of an adult with that adult, so it could be buried in consecrated ground (whatever year was being portrayed in this latest episode but I'm guessing the 60s? )

Yes it was certainly in the catechism I was taught that "original sin" would be a bit of an issue in that regard
- they didn't have an advertising watchdog to rufute false claims back in the day :(

-sd (Lapsed and then some)

garfsuncle
Lemon Pip

Postby garfsuncle » January 1st, 2023, 4:37 pm

stewamax wrote:Hmm…

But since this is a Pendants thread

I know my pedantry is a little late, but I’ve been hanging about…

Alan

Return to “Pedants' Place”