Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Pre-booking and Pre-planning

Mind that apostrophe.
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Pre-booking and Pre-planning

Postby bruncher » September 8th, 2023, 12:35 pm

If I pre-book a seat at the theatre, is that different from booking a seat?

Wandsworth prison escape ‘pre-planned’, says Met chief as police search Richmond Park

Why can't he say it was 'planned'? Was pre-planning a stage before planning?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Pre-booking and Pre-planning

Postby DrFfybes » September 8th, 2023, 12:53 pm

Dunno - irrtates me as well.

Same way everything is Super Super exciting, and the way you utilise a spoon to eat your soup.

Paul

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » September 20th, 2023, 11:23 am

Or people who say ‘planned in advance’ – when else can you plan? At the theatre, you must ‘book in advance’ – what, as opposed to booking after you’ve seen the performance? ‘Advance warning’: the whole essence of a warning is that it’s given in advance – if it’s not given in advance, it’s not a warning! Like those idiot drivers who ‘indicate’ only when they’re actually manoeuvering – what’s the point, I can already see you’ve turned!

Another is ‘pre-recorded’. No! If it’s not live, it’s recorded! (As Laugh-in’s Gary Owens said “this show was pre-recorded earlier because we couldn’t think of a way to pre-record it later”.)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 20th, 2023, 11:42 am

MyNameIsUrl wrote:Or people who say ‘planned in advance’ – when else can you plan? At the theatre, you must ‘book in advance’ – what, as opposed to booking after you’ve seen the performance? ‘Advance warning’: the whole essence of a warning is that it’s given in advance – if it’s not given in advance, it’s not a warning! Like those idiot drivers who ‘indicate’ only when they’re actually manoeuvering – what’s the point, I can already see you’ve turned!

Another is ‘pre-recorded’. No! If it’s not live, it’s recorded! (As Laugh-in’s Gary Owens said “this show was pre-recorded earlier because we couldn’t think of a way to pre-record it later”.)

Mostly I agree with you. However ‘to book in advance’ is surely taken to mean as an alternative to just turning up at the time of a performance and booking then. For instance, I have booked a concert series over the winter in advance in order to get a particular seat, rather than just turning up on the night and taking what was available.

Dod

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 20th, 2023, 12:36 pm

But surely 'just turning up' is not 'booking'.

MyNameIsUrl wrote:Another is ‘pre-recorded’. No! If it’s not live, it’s recorded!

On some shows they use recorded laughter in order to play it back during the performance to tell the audience at the recording what is funny.
I guess that laughter is pre-recorded.
:)

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » September 27th, 2023, 10:21 am

DrFfybes wrote:But surely 'just turning up' is not 'booking'.

MyNameIsUrl wrote:Another is ‘pre-recorded’. No! If it’s not live, it’s recorded!

On some shows they use recorded laughter in order to play it back during the performance to tell the audience at the recording what is funny.
I guess that laughter is pre-recorded.
:)

That would be a correct use of pre-recorded - i.e. applause recorded at an earlier occasion.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 27th, 2023, 10:26 am

bruncher wrote:If I pre-book a seat at the theatre, is that different from booking a seat?

Wandsworth prison escape ‘pre-planned’, says Met chief as police search Richmond Park

Why can't he say it was 'planned'? Was pre-planning a stage before planning?

In a non-penal setting we might call it a feasibility study. :D

Return to “Pedants' Place”