Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,longview,nimnarb,sg31,Rhyd6, for Donating to support the site

Load of carp

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
88V8
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2872
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:22 am
Has thanked: 983 times
Been thanked: 1082 times

Load of carp

#460526

Postby 88V8 » November 24th, 2021, 11:32 am

During the summer we hear that batsmen are now to be called batters, and today I see this... French fishers are set to take action within days, including blocking road and sea freight bound for the UK through Calais and other Channel ports.... Guardian

So, anything with the suffix men is to be abolished? Or is it just the Grauniad?

Frogmen, pitmen, seamen, binmen...

What a load of carp.

V8

Mike4
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3782
Joined: November 24th, 2016, 3:29 am
Has thanked: 885 times
Been thanked: 1851 times

Re: Load of carp

#460531

Postby Mike4 » November 24th, 2021, 11:53 am

Bitumen?

Anyway carpe diem, or "Another crap day" as some people believe it means.

Whereas it actually means "Today,l I'm going fishing".

Dod101
Lemon Half
Posts: 9926
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 2327 times
Been thanked: 4382 times

Re: Load of carp

#460535

Postby Dod101 » November 24th, 2021, 12:02 pm

88V8 wrote:During the summer we hear that batsmen are now to be called batters, and today I see this... French fishers are set to take action within days, including blocking road and sea freight bound for the UK through Calais and other Channel ports.... Guardian

So, anything with the suffix men is to be abolished? Or is it just the Grauniad?

Frogmen, pitmen, seamen, binmen...

What a load of carp.

V8


Frog people. The French I suppose?

Seamen? That's easy, seafarers.

Binmen? Waste operatives to you if you don't mind.

PItmen? Don't think we have had any in this country for a long while.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1673
Joined: May 30th, 2021, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 647 times
Been thanked: 480 times

Re: Load of carp

#460537

Postby pje16 » November 24th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Dod101 wrote:Binmen? Waste operatives to you if you don't mind.
Dod

Actually, Refuse collectors
Operatives work on site
but all better than Binmen :lol:

MaraMan
Lemon Slice
Posts: 414
Joined: November 22nd, 2016, 3:30 pm
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Load of carp

#460538

Postby MaraMan » November 24th, 2021, 12:07 pm

I wonder when we will have to refer to Prince Anne, as I see Actress is no longer acceptable in some circles.

MM

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 7444
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 1037 times
Been thanked: 1808 times

Re: Load of carp

#460550

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 24th, 2021, 12:50 pm

MaraMan wrote:I wonder when we will have to refer to Prince Anne, as I see Actress is no longer acceptable in some circles.

MM

As the bishop said to the actor?

Before falling victim to Newspeak, "man" and "men" had two meanings: either male (by contrast with woman/women) or unisex, typically when describing a role or collective. On the other hand, "actor" was a clear male, albeit commonly a luvvie.

Words making diametrically opposite transitions. It's the language that's under attack!

Dod101
Lemon Half
Posts: 9926
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 2327 times
Been thanked: 4382 times

Re: Load of carp

#460611

Postby Dod101 » November 24th, 2021, 4:51 pm

pje16 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Binmen? Waste operatives to you if you don't mind.
Dod

Actually, Refuse collectors
Operatives work on site
but all better than Binmen :lol:


OK, I thought they were all the same.

Dod

tjh290633
Lemon Half
Posts: 6483
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:20 am
Has thanked: 667 times
Been thanked: 2705 times

Re: Load of carp

#460680

Postby tjh290633 » November 24th, 2021, 7:56 pm

That will be Romanian Carp, I suppose. They do have an idiosyncratic spelling which refects the nature of the beast.

TJH

bungeejumper
Lemon Half
Posts: 5994
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 2027 times
Been thanked: 2578 times

Re: Load of carp

#460793

Postby bungeejumper » November 25th, 2021, 11:24 am

pje16 wrote:Actually, Refuse collectors
Operatives work on site
but all better than Binmen :lol:

You mean dusters, surely? ;)

And what's wrong with cookers, posters and lifters?

BJ


Return to “Bitter Lemons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests