Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

I'm a celebrity get me out of here

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
doolally
Lemon Slice

I'm a celebrity get me out of here

Postby doolally » November 23rd, 2021, 12:36 pm

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Is it just so that the participants can officially class themselves as celebrities? I can think of no other reason to justify its existence

doolally

didds
Lemon Half

Re: I'm a celebrity get me out of here

Postby didds » November 23rd, 2021, 2:05 pm

doolally wrote:Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Is it just so that the participants can officially class themselves as celebrities? I can think of no other reason to justify its existence

doolally

along with so much other weekend prime time viewing. Big strictly Britan's voice factor on ice bake ... what a crock.

but millions enoy them.

Suppose it leaves room in the pubs...

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 23rd, 2021, 3:50 pm

doolally

What is it?

AiY

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 9th, 2021, 10:37 am

AiY, I'll tell you what it is - it's a pain in the rear end that's what it is. It's almost impossible to use the A55 because it gets clogged up with fans - translated as dim wits with nothing better to do. Pop into any shop in Abergele and your confronted with large cut outs of Ant and Dec who I am led to believe are very popular TV hosts. The TV company tries to make out that the Victorian monstrosity which is Gwyrch castle is medieval and they want you to believe that the so called celebrities are roughing it, they nedglect to show you the posh hotel and conference centre behind and to the side of it.
Grrrrrrrrrr. Shame storm Arwen didn't blow the lot away.

R6

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Because? ... Because? ... it's your choice to worship at the altar of Celebrity.

Get rid of the telly. Feel a new serenity in your life.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 9th, 2021, 7:59 pm

doolally

I've heard of it, but never watched it. I'd love to hear the modern definition of a celebrity. Someone who advertised washing powder in the 1980s? 8-)

Steve

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 9th, 2021, 8:08 pm

stevensfo wrote:I've heard of it, but never watched it. I'd love to hear the modern definition of a celebrity. Someone who advertised washing powder in the 1980s? 8-)
Steve

Likewise, especially those who think they're famous (for being famous)
While I'm at it Bake-off
WTF... watching people bake cakes ... really..... :roll:

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » December 9th, 2021, 9:22 pm

pje16 wrote:While I'm at it Bake-off
WTF... watching people bake cakes ... really..... :roll:

Clearly, but watching people cook well on Masterchef, that's fine*. YMMV.

* the best would be to see a good chef working through how and why a recipe works, without the competition noise.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2021, 9:41 pm

genou wrote:* the best would be to see a good chef working through how and why a recipe works, without the competition noise.

Or talking underlying principles that liberate the student from the need for recipes.

I have several cookbooks, despite never having bought any. The only one I consider worth anything (other than the historical value of ones that were old when my granny had them) is Clement Freud's Below the Belt.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » December 9th, 2021, 9:56 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
genou wrote:* the best would be to see a good chef working through how and why a recipe works, without the competition noise.

Or talking underlying principles that liberate the student from the need for recipes.

I have several cookbooks, despite never having bought any. The only one I consider worth anything (other than the historical value of ones that were old when my granny had them) is Clement Freud's Below the Belt.

Don't google "below the belt" without prior thought.

We don't disagree. I am a fan of the idea of being liberated from recipes ( and will do the "cook what you have" on demand ) , but equally I want to eat without every meal demanding deep thought. I'm happy to riff on recipes, but I shop as well, and I feel the need to have a connection between what I'm buying and what I'm planning to do with it.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 12th, 2021, 9:44 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:

In our house, you can spot which cookery books are most popular by the state of the pages. An old Masterchef book from about 25 years ago takes second place, but the winner is my old 'Floyd on France', in particular the Boeuf Provencal recipe that everyone begs me to do. Like most beef stews, you don't need expensive beef (quite the opposite) but the wine marinade must be a full deep red, not the awful cheap cooking wines used for Beef Bourguignon I remember from my childhood.

Steve

PS Anyone tried the 'Chicken with beer can up its bum' on the bbq? Brilliant!

Return to “Bitter Lemons”