Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Always someone elses fault

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: Always someone elses fault

Postby scrumpyjack » September 20th, 2019, 1:43 pm

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... report.pdf

This is the UK Chief Medical Officer's report on alchohol guidelines. It claims to be based on a thorough review of studies and research but then fails to list or identify any of them by name.

Any serious paper arriving at such important conclusions should have an appendix listing the scholarly material on which the paper's conclusions are based. This has nothing at all!

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » September 20th, 2019, 2:19 pm

I'm not disagreeing with the recommendation, but saying it is very very sloppy not to back it up with research to justify the conclusions.

IMO that severely diminishes its impact

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 20th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Snorvey wrote:Liver failure isn't a particularly nice way to go.

What way would you recommend to go?

Maybe the time I overextend myself that bit too far in the mountains? That kind of thing would imply going rather earlier than my time as determined by the ageing process (with or without the preserve-our-zombies services that will hopefully have been abandoned by the time I can no longer get out of bed).

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 20th, 2019, 5:23 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:What way would you recommend to go?

Regrettably we in the UK and probably most other developed countries seem extremely unenlightened when it comes to death and end of life care. For some reason best known to the medics present my OH's grandmother - who had been completely out of it for some years - was given a pacemaker aged 89.

Not being a medic myself I don't know how difficult it is to help someone on their way painlessly. They don't seem to be able to manage that very well when they execute someone in the US.

Having (probably) avoided death by liver damage which is indeed not a nice journey to the exit I would choose a Brompton cocktail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brompton_cocktail

with a side of Remy Martin Champagne Cognac, which I remember being a decent drop. But since they don't sell Brompton cocktail ingredients in Boots or anywhere else that I frequent, that choice is unlikely to be available. I have an unopened bottle of cognac in the cupboard, just in case.

RC

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » September 20th, 2019, 8:30 pm

I drink, I drink every day. My wife an I share a bottle of wine in the evening. On Friday or Saturday night we go to the pub and I have 2 or 3 pints of whatever beer or lager takes my fancy and on getting home we might have a glass of wine. Sunday night we might share a bottle of 5 or 6% beer with the evening meal and later split a bottle of wine.

On holiday we might go out most nights and drink like we do on Saturday nights. Usually we have 2, 1 week holidays each year. last year we went for a third week.

My doctor thinks I drink way too much and should limit my intake to 14 units per week. I ignore his advice.

I don't feel like an alcoholic, I never have a hangover, I am in complete control at all times. I don't feel guilty about the amount I drink.

Like CK commented I don't view a long life as something to be aspired to. Both my parents spent the last years of their lives with dementia. Mum started at age 70, dad in his mid 80's. Both died aged 89.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » September 20th, 2019, 10:48 pm

I very much enjoyed the episode of Inspector Morse, where the good inspector was being berated by a nurse about his alcohol consumption, and asking about his 14 units per week.

Morse's response:

"I don't drink units - I drink pints".

Now I'm 64. I have lived more yers than my father and my mother. I have had a heart condition, and had cancer six years ago. When I was diagnosed with cancer, in my darker moments, I thought that I had done a lot of stuff, and been a lot of places, and if this was my time, then so be it.

I recently lost a good friend to cancer in his late fifties. At his funeral, someone quoted the line "It's not the years in your life, it's the life in your years", and I can't argue with that.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”