Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Keep to the left when walking

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Keep to the left when walking

Postby nmdhqbc » February 27th, 2020, 4:10 pm

Just found out what this board is all about. Is this the sort of thing to say here...

Firstly it makes sense for it to be universal. Everyone knows which side to pass on so no confusion. Now which side to choose? Well for consistency pick left as we drive that way. Also that means when walking on pavement the person closest to the danger (vehicles) can see them coming making it safer. And just for consistency the rule should also apply to other paths. Of course in countries where they drive on the right they should walk on the right.

I'm sick to death of people trying to walk into me when I very obviously plant myself to the left side of a path. They see me coming a mile away yet leave it until the very last second to move to the side as we pass. A couple of tricky interactions with people who seem equally committed to staying right with no logic on their side.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Keep to the left when walking

Postby didds » February 27th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Better still have one directional walking. So walking either with or against the flow of traffic only.

To some degree this means it makes sense to use the right hand pavement facing oncomng traffic as that fits with walking on non pavemented roads.

For roads with only one pavement either foillow the same rules, or share the pavement but everyone brings a pointy stick and its a survival of the fittest. Sort of like penguins on an ice floe.

didds

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » February 27th, 2020, 4:20 pm

didds wrote:Better still have one directional walking. So walking either with or against the flow of traffic only.

This needs deep thought. It could result in more road crossings hence more danger.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 27th, 2020, 4:28 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:
didds wrote:Better still have one directional walking. So walking either with or against the flow of traffic only.

This needs deep thought. It could result in more road crossings hence more danger.

meh. Its all about preventing people walking into other CF the OP

People getting mown down by traffic is merely Darwinism in action.

didds
PS I am being tongue in cheek here if its not obvious!

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Postby baldchap » February 28th, 2020, 9:49 am

nmdhqbc wrote:J
I'm sick to death of people trying to walk into me when I very obviously plant myself to the left side of a path. They see me coming a mile away yet leave it until the very last second to move to the side as we pass. A couple of tricky interactions with people who seem equally committed to staying right with no logic on their side.

It could be a seaman. We keep to the starboard side of the channel ;)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 28th, 2020, 10:30 am

It's not just what hand you wield the sword in. You also need to give consideration to having the space to unsheath it at the moment you need it.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » February 28th, 2020, 1:08 pm

It's not the keeping left or right that annoys me it's the idiots on their mobile phones who can't walk in a straight line whilst looking at the damn things. I keep an eye for them but they meander about and suddenly stop dead, I've cannoned into a few when this has happened and they always look surprised that there are other people on the planet.

R6

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 28th, 2020, 1:50 pm

baldchap wrote:
nmdhqbc wrote:J

It could be a seaman. We keep to the starboard side of the channel ;)

I thought one stuck to port when entering (and leaving, natch) a harbour?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 29th, 2020, 11:46 am

nmdhqbc wrote:I'm sick to death of people trying to walk into me when I very obviously plant myself to the left side of a path. They see me coming a mile away yet leave it until the very last second to move to the side as we pass. A couple of tricky interactions with people who seem equally committed to staying right with no logic on their side.

I get the sincerity of your good intentions, and indeed, there's a certain logic about organising our footpaths the same way as we do our roads. Stick to the left, or in Europe stick to the right, and you won't get accused of causing any accidents. But what a loss of personal liberty that would be. ;)

This old fart says that the pavements are for wandering, relaxing, discovering, and sometimes dreaming. They're for fast and slow people, dogs, mobility scooters and small children too. Not to mention shopping. Will we be required to execute a right signal every time we want to nip into Boots, across the flow of the oncoming traffic? And what will happen if we don't?

It's that sense of having a thousand years of consideration and fair play on our streets that puts us British well ahead of the Parisians, who don't - and who will brutally barge you out of the way if you dare to contravene the unwritten code of the trottoir. (Or, in Paris's case, the crottoir. ;) ). I love my Gallic amis dearly, but it gives me at least a bit of pleasure when arrogant Parisians encounter electric scooterists and other insolent newcomers coming at them with the same sort of aggression that Parisian pedestrians have always meted out with their elbows.

It isn't that Paris's pavements are too narrow, because they aren't. It's that, for a certain type of control freak, even walking has become a pastime that needs to be done comme il faut. How very "efficient", and how very awful.

If it feels good, do it, babe. 8-)

BJ

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Postby baldchap » February 29th, 2020, 12:05 pm

[/quote]

I thought one stuck to port when entering (and leaving, natch) a harbour?[/quote]

Don't try that, or do, and make the news :)

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » February 29th, 2020, 1:27 pm

I'm waiting for the home delivery robots who will be hogging the pavements soon. I plan to tease them, as I'm not giving way to a takeaway-bot.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » February 29th, 2020, 3:01 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Will we be required to execute a right signal every time we want to nip into Boots, across the flow of the oncoming traffic? And what will happen if we don't?

Will people who wear these be exempt?
https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk/en_GB/p/b ... ID_645712/

Julian F. G. W.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 29th, 2020, 3:20 pm

jfgw wrote:Will people who wear these be exempt?
https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk/en_GB/p/b ... ID_645712/

I doubt they'll care what anybody else thinks. Although this somebody thinks that an adult wearing Motorsport M trainers is like a kid wearing a cowboy hat and holsters because it makes him look really grown up. So sad.

BJ

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 29th, 2020, 3:28 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:Just found out what this board is all about. Is this the sort of thing to say here...

Firstly it makes sense for it to be universal. Everyone knows which side to pass on so no confusion. Now which side to choose? Well for consistency pick left as we drive that way. Also that means when walking on pavement the person closest to the danger (vehicles) can see them coming making it safer. And just for consistency the rule should also apply to other paths. Of course in countries where they drive on the right they should walk on the right.

I couldn't agree with you more! It's one of my pet peeves. [Grumpy! Grumpy!]

Some thoughts:

1. On the London Underground, in years gone by, there always used to be signs: "Keep Left". All gone now.

I particularly despise and genuinely HATE those individuals who, on the London UG, elect to go DOWN the UP stairs, or UP the DOWN stairs
against throngs of people proceeding in the CORRECT direction. What the **** is THAT about?

2. I sometimes speculate as to whether the apparent greater frequency of this these days is a side effect of globalism. More people from abroad, where 'traffic' IS on the right?

3. Then again, some joggers in my local park seem to INSIST it is their personal RIGHT to circumnavigate the outer perimeter of the path (longest route?) regardless of any other consideration. SO WHY NOT AT LEAST GO AROUND CLOCKWISE???

But that might take me on to those exercise groups who plump for the MIDDLE OF THE PATH, rather than some quiet spot out of everyone else's way.
I still - after decades! - get mad thinking of one such group who decided(????) to do their business on a narrow bridge over a stream! That's what, the 1% of the entire public path that really was 'non-negotiable?' Let's leave aside that, at the time, the same bridge had a warming sign: "No vehicles, structure unsound"!!!

It seems, where some people have brains, others have paper-weights. :x

Then there's people walking about in public using smart phones (aka 'phones for VERY dumb people?)...

It's a disgrace! It ought NOT to be allowed!

Return to “Bitter Lemons”