Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Corporate virtue signalling?

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
anon155742
Lemon Slice

Re: Corporate virtue signalling?

Postby anon155742 » June 19th, 2020, 6:32 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
anon155742 wrote:"At the moment, our young men in their leather jackets, who are the sons of watchmakers from Odessa, Orsha, Gomel and Vinnitsa, know how to hate everything Russian! What pleasure they take in physically destroying the Russian intelligentsia – officers, academics and writers!"

Humbly suggest that you take a few moments to google the context of that quote. It's been used so often online by neo-nazi and anti-semitic groups that it's acquired a distinctly bad historical smell. I'm not sure you meant it that way?

BJ

I took it from this book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17970310-rasputin

I think the offensive line by Trotsky picked up by the neo nazis was a few lines earlier:
"We must turn Rusia into a desert populated by white negroes upon whom we impose a tyranny such as the most terrible eastern despots never dreamt of. The only difference is that this will be left wing tyranny, not a right wing tyranny."

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 19th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Has anyone else noted that CK can post a new topic on quite an interesting and /or controversial subject and then, having set the hare running, contributes not another thing? Is this I wonder deliberate sh*t stirring or what?

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 19th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Dod101 wrote:Has anyone else noted that CK can post a new topic on quite an interesting and /or controversial subject and then, having set the hare running, contributes not another thing? Is this I wonder deliberate sh*t stirring or what?

Dod

Whatever else this is, it's not a new topic here.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 19th, 2020, 8:54 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Has anyone else noted that CK can post a new topic on quite an interesting and /or controversial subject and then, having set the hare running, contributes not another thing? Is this I wonder deliberate sh*t stirring or what?

Dod

Whatever else this is, it's not a new topic here.

Thanks my friend. I had no noted the topic you highlight.

Dod

roger4
Lemon Pip

Postby roger4 » June 20th, 2020, 4:21 am

I agree with CK. The current behavior pattern of being seen to be PC is nauseating. Witness Harry’s wife’s comments about why she left U.K. (To fight racism; what else?)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 20th, 2020, 7:23 am

Dod

This behaviour is actually the old fashioned and conventional definition of "trolling" on internet forums. Long before the advent of social meeja and the subversion of the term to the current meaning of being nasty, horrid and/or abusive.

Back in the day trolling was a quite a subtle and (fairly) harmless hobby where the goal was as you describe; to start a thread with a single post that runs and runs, descending into squabbling and argument with no further input from the originator. The longer the thread, the more successful the troll.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » June 22nd, 2020, 2:02 pm

JohnB wrote:Woke started as social awareness, but has increasingly taken on the critical elements of political correctness.

Allow me to introduce you to the concept of Purity Spirals. It's where being ultra-woke leads.

https://unherd.com/2020/01/cast-out-how ... ty-spiral/

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » June 23rd, 2020, 12:41 pm

It seems that Burnley FC have a. gained a badge in wokeness or b. offended every white supporter by being outraged at the banner White Lives Matter. You really couldn't make it up. I am of the firm belief that all lives matter but apparently this doesn't count according to my very woke and hop on any passing bandwagon cousin. Good job I've got a sense of humour.

R6

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 23rd, 2020, 12:49 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I am of the firm belief that all lives matter

I'm sure that's well intended but seeking to dismiss black lives matter in that way detracts from the immediate issues and danger facing black people.

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm

I wonder whether they've identified the pilot yet? It can't have been Nigel Farage this time, he seems to have had a rock-solid alibi. ;)

BJ

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » June 23rd, 2020, 2:32 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I wonder whether they've identified the pilot yet? It can't have been Nigel Farage this time, he seems to have had a rock-solid alibi. ;)

BJ

yes, surely he would have been in a hot air balloon

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » June 23rd, 2020, 8:59 pm

Hi Scott, I don't for a moment wish to detract from the suffering of black people but would suggest that the people marching for Black Lives Matter would be better to concentrate on the dreadful abuses that black people in Africa are suffering at the hands of their own black suppressors. I also wonder why no mention is ever made of the fact that it wasn't the white traders who went out and captured the slaves but other black Kings/chieftans. This is always overlooked by those protesting or maybe like a lot of unpleasant white history it's being swept under the carpet.
Lives of every hue matter and I don't like the implication, prevalent at the moment, that only one hue does.

R6

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 23rd, 2020, 9:13 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Lives of every hue matter and I don't like the implication, prevalent at the moment, that only one hue does.

But until black lives matter, all lives don't matter. To think otherwise is white privilege.

Maybe not the right place for this discussion, I'll stop there.

Scott.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » June 23rd, 2020, 9:40 pm

Hi Scott, nor problems, I'm in the middle of marking my Tues. night quiz at the moment, nice speaking to you. Must finish marking second half, can't have a drink until it's all finished.
Cheers
R6

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 23rd, 2020, 11:28 pm

In my view, objecting to a banner that says "White Lives Matter" is racist, but of course that is not a woke opinion.

TJH

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 23rd, 2020, 11:47 pm

tjh290633 wrote:In my view, objecting to a banner that says "White Lives Matter" is racist, but of course that is not a woke opinion.

TJH

Factually correct though, just as "Black Lives Matter" is too.

"Lives Matter" would be the most inclusive and non-racist slogan which I suspect, is the point the aeroplane banner sought to make.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 24th, 2020, 1:24 am

Mike4 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:In my view, objecting to a banner that says "White Lives Matter" is racist, but of course that is not a woke opinion.

"Lives Matter" would be the most inclusive and non-racist slogan which I suspect, is the point the aeroplane banner sought to make.

All political activism is predicated upon one class of people seeking to gain some kind of benefit or advantage, at the expense of some other class of people.

So whether it is white versus non-white, protestant versus catholic, landlord versus tenant, employer versus worker or whatever, the underlying theme is basically derived from Karl Marx, which I always interpreted thus:

1) Divide people into two classes. Forget that they are individuals. Just classify them.

2) Then make some argument that one of these two classes is inherently more worthy than the other class. Paint one as good and one as bad.

3) Justify activism, protests, pressure, revolution and any other effort based on the moral superiority of one class over the other, predicated rather conveniently on the arbitrary classifications and generalisations that you made in (1) and (2) above.

Bingo. Cue endless whining and kvetching about oppressors and victims, all in the name of some contrived and self-serving sense of "justice".

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 24th, 2020, 1:29 am

TJH

I don't object to the words per se: how could I? everyone matters
- but I do object to the glib attempt to disparage and demean those that have a valid reason for their protest
- does that make me racist? or trollist?

- sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 24th, 2020, 1:35 am

Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

All political activism is predicated upon one class of people seeking to gain some kind of benefit or advantage, at the expense of some other class of people.

So whether it is white versus non-white, protestant versus catholic, landlord versus tenant, employer versus worker or whatever, the underlying theme is basically derived from Karl Marx, which I always interpreted thus:

1) Divide people into two classes. Forget that they are individuals. Just classify them.

2) Then make some argument that one of these two classes is inherently more worthy than the other class. Paint one as good and one as bad.

3) Justify activism, protests, pressure, revolution and any other effort based on the moral superiority of one class over the other, predicated rather conveniently on the arbitrary classifications and generalisations that you made in (1) and (2) above.

Bingo. Cue endless whining and kvetching about oppressors and victims, all in the name of some contrived and self-serving sense of "justice".

Not a fan of universal suffrage are we? ;)

- sd

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » June 24th, 2020, 11:04 am

servodude wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Factually correct though, just as "Black Lives Matter" is too.

Not a fan of universal suffrage are we? ;)

- sd

That's a nice leap.

Our HR department recently launched a "Women's Health Week"

I had an email conversation with them that went roughly:
ME - Women have more sick days, more Dr's visits, more check-ups and better health outcomes than men. Shouldn't you be targeting men?
HR - Men can go to the general Company Health Week that is open to all employees.
ME - So can women. Why do they get a special event?
HR - What have you got against women?

Return to “Bitter Lemons”