Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

BBC again

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Dod101
The full Lemon

BBC again

Postby Dod101 » July 10th, 2020, 9:51 am

In The Times this morning the BBC is reported to be encouraging all staff to start including their pronouns in their email signatures 'as part of a drive to make transgender and non-binary colleagues feel more welcome', as in say 'Laura Kuensberg, she/her.'

Apparently transgender people have started introducing themselves as 'they/them' so that people know how they wish to be addressed.

What is the world coming to?

Dod

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: BBC again

Postby jackdaww » July 10th, 2020, 9:56 am

Dod101 wrote:In The Times this morning the BBC is reported to be encouraging all staff to start including their pronouns in their email signatures 'as part of a drive to make transgender and non-binary colleagues feel more welcome', as in say 'Laura Kuensberg, she/her.'

Apparently transgender people have started introducing themselves as 'they/them' so that people know how they wish to be addressed.

Dod

================================

i would like to be addressed as ---

david bloke trainspotter total returns etc

:D

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 10th, 2020, 10:05 am

Dod101 wrote:In The Times this morning the BBC is reported to be encouraging all staff to start including their pronouns in their email signatures 'as part of a drive to make transgender and non-binary colleagues feel more welcome', as in say 'Laura Kuensberg, she/her.'

Dod

Not unique to the BBC. Virgin, Goldman Sachs and a bunch of others.
But BBC-bashing is in-vogue

--kiloran

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 10th, 2020, 10:12 am

kiloran wrote:But BBC-bashing is in-vogue

BBC bashing is not in vogue with me except for its left wing agenda and its reinstatement of the TV licence charge for over 75s. Frankly I do not care about that but plenty will.

Dod

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » July 10th, 2020, 10:20 am

Dod

I think it's a great idea.

I would like to be 'Sir Watis' going forward.

Does it matter that I haven't (yet) been knighted?

Watis

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » July 10th, 2020, 10:21 am

Dod

I really do envy them if that is all they've got to worry about. Truly pathetic

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 10th, 2020, 10:24 am

Dod101 wrote:
kiloran wrote:But BBC-bashing is in-vogue

BBC bashing is not in vogue with me except for its left wing agenda and its reinstatement of the TV licence charge for over 75s. Frankly I do not care about that but plenty will.

Dod

I wouldn't mind them promoting their favourite causes (though it can get tedious).

I do find it offensive when they demonise me for who I am.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » July 10th, 2020, 11:51 am

Watis wrote:

Dod

I think it's a great idea.

I would like to be 'Sir Watis' going forward.

Does it matter that I haven't (yet) been knighted?

Watis

====================================

its quite easy --

next time you need to give your title on line , just select one you fancy from the drop down menu .

i accidentally entered "professor " on my Ichron , and it arrives as such .

:D

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » July 10th, 2020, 12:16 pm

kiloran wrote:Not unique to the BBC. Virgin, Goldman Sachs and a bunch of others.
But BBC-bashing is in-vogue

--kiloran

Yes, we live in a world full to the brim of virtue signalling. It is crazy and one of the worst aspects of the power of social media, of which there are many, let's face it. It's pretty easy to bash the BBC tbh, but not because of this or any perceived "lefty" political bias, just the very, very low quality of their journalism these days. Some of it beggars belief, quite frankly. I'll give an example...

During the statue stand off in London, someone got arrested for being pictured urinating on a memorial in London. Of course, it's a terrible thing to do but they probably didn't even realise it was a memorial after 10 pints of been and all public toilets were shut. Why did the BBC have to report that the person concerned was a supporter of Tottenham Hotspur FC? I've been most disappointed not to discover which football team was supported by all subsequent miscreants the BBC has reported on. This is not only irrelevant information but reinforces my view that there is a BBC bias against the club since they went in big on the Antonio Rudiger racism incident that was never proven and never saw fit to apologise for... and before that we had the BBC having a go at the club about their supporters use of the Y word in which they referenced David Baddiel, a well-known Jewish Chelsea fan. And we all know that a large minority of Chelsea fans aren't really racists that make ridiculous gas chamber hissing noises when they play Spurs...

Anyway, apologies for the rant. I'll go and lie in a dark room now but it's not my fault someone mentioned the BBC.

All the best, Si

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 10th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Language is capable of modifying itself to meet the needs of changing situations - indeed, that's part of its job. But its primary function is to act as a two-way channel, in which both the speaker and the listener understand the same thing, and agree on its use. ;)

And that's where it takes time, and quite often a lot of heavy lobbying, to get the word out that words have changed their meaning. I'm slowly adjusting my mindset to accommodate the idea that a woman can have a wife or a man can have a husband. (Although god knows what it'll do to the census records in future decades. :lol: ) I get a bit annoyed when a woman calls another group of women guys. (Indeed, my wife and I threw a bit of a flounce out of Marks and Sparks when the 16 year old shoe salesman addressed us both as guys.)

But messing with established language forms, so that a pushy minority can make its stroppy little mark on society, is surely going too far. So female transgenders (that's male-to-female, not that you'd have guessed it) are demanding that all women with a female birth gender should henceforth call themselves cis-women? Bonkers.

Speaking of which, am I still allowed to use that word? Or will we have to call ourselves cis-bonkers, to distinguish ourselves from the alternatives?

BJ

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » July 10th, 2020, 2:10 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Language is capable of modifying itself to meet the needs of changing situations - indeed, that's part of its job. But its primary function is to act as a two-way channel, in which both the speaker and the listener understand the same thing, and agree on its use. ;)

But messing with established language forms, so that a pushy minority can make its stroppy little mark on society, is surely going too far.

BJ

=============================

that use of language conveys your thinking very well ..

:roll:

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 10th, 2020, 2:13 pm

I had thought that guys had become a word meaning any group of one gender or mixed. Seems I was mistaken. About 10 years ago somebody referred to my wife and I as "guys", so it's been used like that for some time. Perhaps it's a bit like using "man" in some contexts to refer to all, such as "mankind".

On the more specific topic of this thread, my observation is that gender ID is the most highly charged area to debate (outside this forum of course), Brexit is nothing in comparison!

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » July 10th, 2020, 2:27 pm

The BBC are very hung up over titles, any news report has got to get someone's title right. I'd be happy if titles were dropped and we switched from he/she to they both for indeterminate people and reference to individuals. This makes a lot of sense in a globalised world where you don't recognise the gender of many given names.

But the trans community want to split everything into smaller and smaller subgroups with special terms which only a few understand and are all very touchy about. Tolerance not only means not discriminating, but accepting good faith from others.

I always chose the poshest title available in dropdown menus.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 10th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Yes, I quite fancy being "Sir Blue Donkey, Bart."

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 10th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Sir Simpson, Bart?

I'm happy with "Master Therion"
'Excellency' or 'Führer ' perhaps

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 10th, 2020, 3:00 pm

Who remembers the days when ladies' signatures took the form:

Joan Smith (Mrs) or Freda Evans (Miss)?

TJH

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 10th, 2020, 3:16 pm

I'm torn between Prince Consort, Dear Leader, the Most Reverend Metropolitan, and of course Herr Doktor Professor Doktor. I'd go for Celestial and Supreme Being, but I think Dominic Cummings has already bagged that one.

BJ

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 10th, 2020, 3:29 pm

The long-march continues:

"BBC Music magazine columnist calls for 'crudely jingoistic' songs Rule, Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory to be scrapped from Last Night of the Proms because they are 'insensitive' in wake of BLM movement"

It's a good time to sell-off the BBC to raise funds for the exchequer.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 10th, 2020, 3:37 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Who remembers the days when ladies' signatures took the form:

Joan Smith (Mrs) or Freda Evans (Miss)?

TJH

Or a woman would be introduced as "Mrs John Smith"?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 10th, 2020, 3:51 pm

jackdaww wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Language is capable of modifying itself to meet the needs of changing situations - indeed, that's part of its job. But its primary function is to act as a two-way channel, in which both the speaker and the listener understand the same thing, and agree on its use. ;)

But messing with established language forms, so that a pushy minority can make its stroppy little mark on society, is surely going too far.

BJ

=============================

that use of language conveys your thinking very well ..

:roll:

Conveys my thinking very well too.

Dod

Return to “Bitter Lemons”