Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

BBC News, Introduction and Interuption muisic

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
gnawsome
Lemon Slice

BBC News, Introduction and Interuption muisic

Postby gnawsome » October 22nd, 2020, 2:15 pm

BBC Introduction and Interuption music

I find it very annoying.
So annoying that I turn it off – thereby missing some content. Probably not the result sought by a public service organisation wanting the public to be kept informed.

The music is played for about 1m 05secs at the start of the programme
then interupts the programme for about 10secs
and closes the programme for – I don't know because it gets turned off.

So, allowing for the fact that I am a disagreeable, deaf octogenarian is there a sensible explanation for this expensive waste of 'airtime' or is it that someone gets paid for every second that this gets aired.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: BBC News, Introduction and Interuption muisic

Postby Gerry557 » October 22nd, 2020, 2:56 pm

Not sure what you are actually talking about. I know the HD channel goes off with a red screen when going to local news. I used to flick to the SD channel then switch back when done.

Now I just avoid BBC

Let me know if something good come on!

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 22nd, 2020, 3:40 pm

It's not just you, although I don't think the News music is the worst culprit.

For me, that would be the harsh, raucous intro music to The One Show. That sets my teeth on edge, although It is at least mercifully brief.

Then there are the totally unnecessary chimes that litter quiz shows, without adding anything to the proceedings. I'm looking at you, Tipping Point.

Watis

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » October 22nd, 2020, 4:00 pm

Not sure what you are actually talking about.

Nor me really...but
the prog starts with presenter reading the headlines - over which is playing some '''bash bash sqeak sqeak music''', continues to make no sense or entertainment for c 1m 05secs Then prog proper starts and runs for c12mins interupted by some more of said music and repeated screen display - about 10secs of mindlessness.
At prog end it starts again. I'm gone.
I have to declare that I never watch any prog live -- always via recording, largely to skip adverts but I find this stupid music and screen play worse than many adverts.

If you don't recognise it be very glad

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » October 22nd, 2020, 4:10 pm

[quote="Watis"]It's not just you, although I don't think the News music is the worst culprit.

For me, that would be the harsh, raucous intro music to The One Show. That sets my teeth on edge, although It is at least mercifully brief.

Then there are the totally unnecessary chimes that litter quiz shows, without adding anything to the proceedings. I'm looking at you, Tipping Point.

Watis
[/quote]

I'll not disagree that there may be worse offenders but tbf those are supposedly 'entertainment' shows and are of a type - sort of not serious.
I would expect a somewhat different presentation by a BBC NEWS prog

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » October 23rd, 2020, 5:07 pm

Watis wrote:Then there are the totally unnecessary chimes that litter quiz shows, without adding anything to the proceedings. I'm looking at you, Tipping Point

I know a guy whose full time job, is to write those tiny snippets of music for jingles, adverts, etc. According to him, the pinnacle of jingle writers is music for game shows. It gets played hundreds of times to a vast audience and the royalties are immense! So someone, somewhere is making a mint from your annoyance.

Gryff

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 23rd, 2020, 6:02 pm

I've no idea what this annoying music is, but now you have alerted me I will listen. There's nothing that I've become aware of which interrupts the BBC news broadcasts, though unfortunately now being forwarned, you've probably ruined the news at ten!

However, to join the (I assume) older person's moaning session, my bet noire is background music which is sometimes louder than the speech in any program, drama or factual. And actors who mumble or speak in constant sotto voce. And those apocalyptic voice-overs - generally on nature programs. I don't watch them much at all now, being fed up to the back teeth of that genre. And any program where the laughter is an assault on the ears, and louder than the normal speech. And interviewees or presenters that look somewhere over my left shoulder, instead of at the camera. Who the heck are they talking to and why do they insult me by not looking in my direction when they apparently want my attention?

But it's not all bad - we do have the enjoyment of some very competent and clear presenters on BBC (probably ITV too, but I don't watch much of it) who can still find the brain power to talk in properly constructed sentences.

That's all for now.... :)

Arb.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 23rd, 2020, 7:43 pm

gnawsome wrote:
Not sure what you are actually talking about.

Nor me really...but
the prog starts with presenter reading the headlines - over which is playing some '''bash bash sqeak sqeak music'''

What programme, exactly? Are we talking radio or telly? Local or national? Or their online news coverage?

If you don't recognise it be very glad

I'm very glad....

BellaHubby
Lemon Pip

Postby BellaHubby » October 23rd, 2020, 8:05 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I
But it's not all bad - we do have the enjoyment of some very competent and clear presenters on BBC (probably ITV too, but I don't watch much of it) who can still find the brain power to talk in properly constructed sentences.

Arb.

Not ITV. Three of their main presenters (Tom Bradby, Julie Etchingham and Lucrezia Millarini) are capably of speaking clearly but frequently resort to mumbling and talking under their breath instead of to the viewers. And also have the irritating habit, after talking to a fellow reporter, "OK Fred, thank you very much INDEED". Every time. Clearly mandated by the powers that be

bh

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 23rd, 2020, 10:26 pm

"BBC Introduction and Interuption music

I find it very annoying.
So annoying that I turn it off – thereby missing some content."

I watched the BBC news. OK, I'll admit that due to circumstances I might have missed a bit right at the beginning - I came in when Rita, standing up, was reading the summary. No sounds, no music - and there was none for the rest of the program, so I do not understand the problem at the moment.

If your difficulty is with the first minute of the program, I suggest you are being too impatient. Why not come in one minute late like I did ;) I see no reason to turn it off or miss content.

Arb.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » October 24th, 2020, 8:40 am

I too have given up on the BBC news. Their idea of what is important is not mine, not to mention the irritating woke angle given to everything.

I am waiting expectantly for Andrew Neil's new TV channel news. Good chance that will be a lot more objective with a better sense of what is newsworthy.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » October 24th, 2020, 8:51 am

My pet hate is factual problems with constant music played under the narration, especially dramatic or doom music. Thank God for YouTube where you can find new presenters who just talk about stuff. They eventually discover video editing software and add the dreaded music, but I can move on. I always watch at faster than normal speed and micro-jump through guff.

I never watch broadcast news, too little control of what I think is important, and no depth

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 24th, 2020, 9:37 am

Bash, badubbadubba, bash, badubbadubba, beep, badubbadubba, bash. Same old endless loop of BBC reporters looking all brave and determined while the technicians struggle to synchronise the news channel's 10 o'clock broadcast with BBC1's own report, and generally fail. One of the most annoying piles of totally synthetic audio junk on the airwaves. I'd pay an extra fiver on the licence fee not to have to listen to it.

Christ, if I want that kind of brain-dead shite assaulting my ears, there are a million black Corsas out there with gangsta rap vibrating their little floorpans to pieces, all the way down my local high street. But at least the Corsas will be gone in 15 seconds - unlike the news channel, where I'll probably have to suffer it for 80 seconds or longer on a bad night.

But that's as nothing compared with the crap sound quality of the videophone interviews. "Well, Fiona, there's a wfffffbbfull waffbbbrrrrr wurble of affle ablartifaff in this town centre tonight. Here's some unintelligible pfffffthwethle that I recorded this evening outside the sphgnuff burphit grrrrph in Wiffle an hour ago. No, I couldn't understand any of it either, but what the hell, here it is with the street-authentic echo and some old drunk shouting in the background. Maybe it'll sound clearer at your end? Now back to the studio, I'm off for a pint at the wffffborghfffgh before the fighting starts."

BJ

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » October 24th, 2020, 10:27 am

not to mention the huge outside broadcast unit with 30 overpaid staff who went along with the intrepid BBC reporter to cover something totally non newsworthy.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 24th, 2020, 10:59 am

scrumpyjack wrote:not to mention the huge outside broadcast unit with 30 overpaid staff who went along with the intrepid BBC reporter to cover something totally non newsworthy.

In fairness, not quite such an issue as it used to be. Probably three these days, or four if they need somebody to hold the lighting umbrella or fend off any drunks.

I had a schoolfriend who used to be an outside broadcast engineer for BBC Cardiff, and yes, they'd send twenty or more people to a rugby match (this was Wales, after all), and he'd get paid some six-figure salary (in today's money) to stand and watch a sound meter and cut in quickly with the interval music if somebody should accidentally blaspheme on camera.

He was quite put out when a microchip replaced him, but he got paid off quite handsomely, and he bought a house with the cash. That must have been 20 years ago now. Mind you, these days I expect there's an equality officer on the OB team instead?

BJ

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » October 24th, 2020, 11:20 am

You watch BBC ! Don't you know you're only s'pose to pay for it , not watch it ?

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » October 24th, 2020, 1:42 pm

I'm not sure how we manage it but whenever we turn on BBC News we seem to get Mark Drakeford - whose true vocation must surely be that of undertaker or Nicola Sturgeon whose whiney voice gets right up my nose. For both,the off button is deployed immediately, music of any sort would be a relief.

R6

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » October 24th, 2020, 2:07 pm

What programme, exactly? Are we talking radio or telly? Local or national? Or their online news coverage?

Tv - local - Southampton area BBC

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » October 24th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Arborbridge wrote:If your difficulty is with the first minute of the program, I suggest you are being too impatient. Why not come in one minute late like I did ;) I see no reason to turn it off or miss content.
Arb.

You are right of course. The PVR is set to skip 2mins fwd and .25mins back, even for me that's not a difficult task ( if only I could remember).
But why?
I doubt you would find many people who thought it improved the programme in any way.
Is not their purpose to be a more attractive provider than the opposition?

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » October 24th, 2020, 2:30 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Bash, badubbadubba, bash, badubbadubba, beep, badubbadubba, bash. Same old endless loop of BBC reporters looking all brave and determined while the technicians struggle to synchronise the news channel's 10 o'clock broadcast with BBC1's own report, and generally fail. One of the most annoying piles of totally synthetic audio junk on the airwaves. I'd pay an extra fiver on the licence fee not to have to listen to it.

Christ, if I want that kind of brain-dead shite assaulting my ears, there are a million black Corsas out there with gangsta rap vibrating their little floorpans to pieces, all the way down my local high street. But at least the Corsas will be gone in 15 seconds - unlike the news channel, where I'll probably have to suffer it for 80 seconds or longer on a bad night.

But that's as nothing compared with the crap sound quality of the videophone interviews. "Well, Fiona, there's a wfffffbbfull waffbbbrrrrr wurble of affle ablartifaff in this town centre tonight. Here's some unintelligible pfffffthwethle that I recorded this evening outside the sphgnuff burphit grrrrph in Wiffle an hour ago. No, I couldn't understand any of it either, but what the hell, here it is with the street-authentic echo and some old drunk shouting in the background. Maybe it'll sound clearer at your end? Now back to the studio, I'm off for a pint at the wffffborghfffgh before the fighting starts."

BJ

But then you do have subtitles -
running 10~25 secs out of sync and containing some 50% of garbled content, what more mental stimulation could we want

Return to “Bitter Lemons”