Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Taking it's toll

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Taking it's toll

Postby bungeejumper » October 28th, 2020, 3:26 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:And now there's a hailstorm raging :) Think it's doing a west to east, so my prediction is bungeejumper experienced similar at about 1320 today.. (based on met office radar)

Not bad, AC, it was about 1340, and great cracks of thunder as it rolled up over the Mendips. We got hail yesterday, but we were spared it today. Wind has been quite exciting, but my wife is still chancing her luck up a tree, setting up the bird feeders.

I think it might soon be time to put the barbecue away for the winter. Although I daresay our hardy northern compatriots will be swapping their shorts for knee-length cargo pants and ordering up another few sacks of charcoal? :)

BJ

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » October 28th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:For the first time ever I feel really cheesed off and fed up with lockdown. Over the last few months all jobs, including those 'I'll eventually get around to it' have been done, garden planted, weeded etc. to within an inch of it's life, not a single item remains to be ironed, all cupboards in the house cleared of rubbish and tidied OH with help from friends and relatives has even built the balcony leading off the bedroom he's been promising for ages so now what do we do? It's pouring down with rain and more forecast on the way so a good long tramp is out of the question, it's not worth going for a drive because we can't visit anyone or go fo a meal or even a cup of coffee. I'm not a great telly fan and I've read so many books I feel my eyes might pop out. Our Pub in the Barn is on hold because of the restrictions so no gatherings to look forward to, friends are phoning up and they're as bored witless as us so what do we do? Are you feeling the same or are you still in an optemistic mood?

R6

I came very late to Gavin and Stacey. And late to Sports Personality of the year. But if I'm feeling a little down about how the country is run and lockdown, I remember this video. I saw it first a few months ago. It pre-dates some of the UKs successes in running the Olympics and some amazing sports feats.

Not to be taken too seriously. And, to me it's an antidote to some of President Trump's speeches.

Maybe (as in 2010) there are some good times ahead?

If, like me a few months ago you haven't seen it, I hope you enjoy it. Do watch the second half in particular.

regards :)

Howard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvvKUtHlDK8

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » October 28th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:For the first time ever I feel really cheesed off and fed up with lockdown. Over the last few months all jobs, including those 'I'll eventually get around to it' have been done, garden planted, weeded etc. to within an inch of it's life, not a single item remains to be ironed, all cupboards in the house cleared of rubbish and tidied OH with help from friends and relatives has even built the balcony leading off the bedroom he's been promising for ages so now what do we do? It's pouring down with rain and more forecast on the way so a good long tramp is out of the question, it's not worth going for a drive because we can't visit anyone or go fo a meal or even a cup of coffee. I'm not a great telly fan and I've read so many books I feel my eyes might pop out. Our Pub in the Barn is on hold because of the restrictions so no gatherings to look forward to, friends are phoning up and they're as bored witless as us so what do we do? Are you feeling the same or are you still in an optemistic mood?

R6

I feel quite jealous. We have a pile of young adults in the house (post uni, and attending uni remotely), so the house is in a state of attrition - more stuff gets broken faster than I can fix things, and my motivation to do any more has drained away.
I am finding it tough to get the enthusiasm to fill the hole with exercise and lose weight etc - which I need to do as I am on the vulnerable list.

On the plus side, I am fairly regularly meeting up with friends for socially distant walks in the woods. Just bought some tickets to visit a sculpture park for the next one.
Also my social life has developed in a new direction. I now have a fairly regular stream of Tele G&T calls, where I get shit-faced with mates over a video call, while agreeably talking [expletive deleted]. Don't need to worry about transport/driving, and one can catch up with friends/family further afield. A few weeks ago it was with cousins in Toulouse. This Friday it is some old friends in Glasgow. SWMBO not so approving of the state I get into.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 28th, 2020, 6:54 pm

If we could do it anonymously (I mean no surnames etc) as some want to keep their 'real life' identities confidential, for various reasons :)
How does this Zoom stuff work anyway?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 28th, 2020, 11:53 pm

Snorvey wrote:Dunno. Seen the missus do it - she did a make up thing with her buddies last week, although I think the make up was a side excuse for the hard boozing judging by the mass cackling coming from upstairs.

I think someone hosts and pings out invites and I guess you then join the party.

Did one during lockdown with some mates - well without the makeup:
- everyone ordered and had delivered the same sampler of whiskies (e.g. https://www.masterofmalt.com/tasting-se ... sting-set/)
- you all get on the zoom call at the same time and go through the "tasting notes"

Much like any whisky tasting exercise the first half an hour was a lot more considered than the rest of it

- sd

anon155742
Lemon Slice

Postby anon155742 » October 29th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Iv been living like normal. Going round to see a friend later today.

Good thing about lock down is the roads are quieter!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 29th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:For the first time ever I feel really cheesed off and fed up with lockdown. Over the last few months all jobs, including those 'I'll eventually get around to it' have been done, garden planted, weeded etc. to within an inch of it's life, not a single item remains to be ironed, all cupboards in the house cleared of rubbish and tidied OH with help from friends and relatives has even built the balcony leading off the bedroom he's been promising for ages so now what do we do? It's pouring down with rain and more forecast on the way so a good long tramp is out of the question, it's not worth going for a drive because we can't visit anyone or go fo a meal or even a cup of coffee. I'm not a great telly fan and I've read so many books I feel my eyes might pop out. Our Pub in the Barn is on hold because of the restrictions so no gatherings to look forward to, friends are phoning up and they're as bored witless as us so what do we do? Are you feeling the same or are you still in an optimistic mood?

Doesn't it depend a lot of where you are? So Wales and parts of the North are very restrictive, whilst if you take a trip to Cornwall (as I did last month) people are very relaxed and sanguine, and we visited a few pubs and restaurants without thinking about things that much.

I feel fortunate in a couple of ways. We have a home in London and another one in Devon, so we can move between them as the situation arises. And I have not worked in a long time so do not miss that at all. Moreover I am pretty good at feeling content even if there is nobody else about and nothing is happening. I am perfectly happy not to generate "make-work" to keep myself entertained. I am happy doing nothing, alone.

All that said I have hated not being able to swim every day as I usually do, although that has been improving recently. And the constraints on travel irk me, although I have been overseas twice since June. The key to withstanding the lockdown might be to be judicious about it, and know when to stay put and when to finesse the rules a little in the interest of sanity.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”