Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Guardian online headlines

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Watis
Lemon Quarter

The Guardian online headlines

Postby Watis » November 2nd, 2020, 3:32 pm

I find it beyond bizarre that, with the Covid crisis and the imminent US election being the main issues of the day, the main headline in today's Guardian Online is . . .

. . . the outcome of a court case for libel against a newspaper who reported on the breakdown of the relationship of two 'celebrities'.

I must be getting old.

Watis

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Guardian online headlines

Postby simoan » November 2nd, 2020, 4:28 pm

Watis wrote:I find it beyond bizarre that, with the Covid crisis and the imminent US election being the main issues of the day, the main headline in today's Guardian Online is . . .

. . . the outcome of a court case for libel against a newspaper who reported on the breakdown of the relationship of two 'celebrities'.

I must be getting old.

Watis

Even worse than that. Perhaps I was dreaming, but sometimes I look at the newspaper front pages on the BBC website and I'm pretty sure either The Times or Sunday Times front page had a piece about a former member of the pop group East 17 starting to read books because of lockdown last weekend.

All the best, Si

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » November 2nd, 2020, 4:31 pm

At least these stories make a change, rather than endless Covid.

Best news story of the year today, train saved by landing on whale.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 2nd, 2020, 4:32 pm

simoan wrote:
Even worse than that.

Perhaps I was dreaming, but sometimes I look at the newspaper front pages on the BBC website and I'm pretty sure either The Times or Sunday Times front page had a piece about a former member of the pop group East 17 starting to read books because of lockdown last weekend.

It was no dream -

The Times - East 17 star Tony Mortimer turns 50 and reads his first novel — then 64 more -

If a new lockdown seems just too depressing, take heart from Tony Mortimer, lead singer of the chart-topping 1990s boy band East 17.

Before the coronavirus, he was too busy writing hip-hop lyrics to have time for books. He thought about reading Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights, but watched the film “because it was quicker”.

Until April he had never finished a novel. Then lockdown changed his life. Since then he has read 65 books and begun to write a novel with the help of a how-to guide written by Stephen King, the best-selling American author...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/east-17-star-tony-mortimer-turns-50-and-reads-his-first-novel-then-64-more-prlgj2ng7

Inspirational...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » November 2nd, 2020, 5:02 pm

Now I see that the headlines relate to Covid and the US elections . . .

So, did someone from the Guardian see my post?

Or - did a fellow Fool grass me up?

Watis

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 2nd, 2020, 5:40 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
simoan wrote:
Even worse than that.

Perhaps I was dreaming, but sometimes I look at the newspaper front pages on the BBC website and I'm pretty sure either The Times or Sunday Times front page had a piece about a former member of the pop group East 17 starting to read books because of lockdown last weekend.

It was no dream -

The Times - East 17 star Tony Mortimer turns 50 and reads his first novel — then 64 more -

If a new lockdown seems just too depressing, take heart from Tony Mortimer, lead singer of the chart-topping 1990s boy band East 17.

Before the coronavirus, he was too busy writing hip-hop lyrics to have time for books. He thought about reading Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights, but watched the film “because it was quicker”.

Until April he had never finished a novel. Then lockdown changed his life. Since then he has read 65 books and begun to write a novel with the help of a how-to guide written by Stephen King, the best-selling American author...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/east-17-star-tony-mortimer-turns-50-and-reads-his-first-novel-then-64-more-prlgj2ng7

Inspirational...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

That's the one! Thanks for confirming I was not hallucinating. I just thought it was a bizarre story to have on the front of The Times with everything else that's going on in the world. He must have a very good agent...

All the best, Si

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » November 2nd, 2020, 6:01 pm

I find that surprising, it's usually filled with hate filled bile directed at Boris and Trump. I've just had a look and it has reverted to type. It's such a negative news site, not good for mental health of its readers.

What really irks them is every election in the last 10 years, the "wrong" side has won, successive Tory governments, Scottish referendum and Brexit. Suck it up losers :lol:

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » November 3rd, 2020, 9:17 am

Watis wrote:I find it beyond bizarre that, with the Covid crisis and the imminent US election being the main issues of the day, the main headline in today's Guardian Online is . . .

I must be getting old.

Watis

Don't worry, the Torygraph has re-established normality by combining stories on royalty and COVID

Return to “Bitter Lemons”