Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Do you need a bag at all?

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Do you need a bag at all?

Postby redsturgeon » January 28th, 2017, 4:43 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:And contrary to popular belief there are now some very good beers actually being made in the US.

Indeed, craft beers can be excellent, according to my Camra mate, who flies out to the States just to drink them. A pity you can't buy them here, then. :cry: Or rather, not the genuine article. All I ever see in my local stores are brewed under licence in Kent or somewhere - hideously sweet, even the Boston lagers. I must have tried a dozen, but I've never found one that makes me want to open a second bottle. What am I doing wrong?

BJ

Try the Beer Hawk.

I had their advent calendar at Xmas and perhaps half the beers were from the US and most were excellent.

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/american-mixed-case

John

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 28th, 2017, 5:16 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
melonfool wrote:
Maybe they have an upper age limit?

Mel

I seriously hope not...I was looking forward to many more years of drinking...

John

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you had hit the upper age limit. Merely that you looked like you had :lol:

Mel

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 28th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you had hit the upper age limit. Merely that you looked like you had :lol:

Mel

Moderator Message:
Whoa there! I must warn you that I have moderation rights on this board and I'm not afraid to use them ;)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 28th, 2017, 7:27 pm

redsturgeon wrote:

Mel

Moderator Message:
Whoa there! I must warn you that I have moderation rights on this board and I'm not afraid to use them ;)

That's quite a conflict of interest in a board where you participate. Shouldn't you recuse yourself?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 28th, 2017, 8:36 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

Mel

Moderator Message:

That's quite a conflict of interest in a board where you participate. Shouldn't you recuse yourself?

It might be if I was serious. ;)

What they gonna do, dock my wages. ;)

John

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 28th, 2017, 9:21 pm

It's a light-hearted board.

There was a discussion on moderator conflict of interest on the Biscuit Bar if you'd like to read it.

Mel

Wuzwine
Lemon Pip

Postby Wuzwine » January 28th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Hi,

It must be in Scotland. "at all" makes me think of Ireland, but Morrisons don't trade there!

Wuz

Interest - Hold Tesco may move to Morrisons next week!

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 1st, 2017, 12:56 pm

what are you doing wrong?

buying the stuff in the first place when its not the real and original. Its that simple. And probably WADR relying on supermarkets, which cater for the commonest trends to stock "the real non-UK stuff" etc. generalising there obviously.

If you really want the real US stuff, then _maybe_ (I don't use them so dunno really) try these beer clubs where you get sent a dozen or two dozen beers per month. Or find a specialty bottle shop that can supply them - just google (I can recommend one offline if you like).

didds

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » February 2nd, 2017, 10:52 am

When on the US east coast I always asked for Sam Adams; unlike other US beers and lagers, it actually tastes of something other than just 'very cold'.
Until recently you could also buy the imported article in the UK from (e.g.) Majestic. But now it all appears to be a wishy-washy fluid made under licence by Shepherd Neame. If I were the brand owners, I would rescind Shepherd Neame's UK franchise as damaging to the parent brand. My bigger worry is that when we secede from the EU, we will see 'reinheitsgebot'-compliant German beers 'brewed in Northampton under licence' and tasting of .... nothing.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 2nd, 2017, 12:07 pm

stewamax wrote:My bigger worry is that when we secede from the EU, we will see 'reinheitsgebot'-compliant German beers 'brewed in Northampton under licence' and tasting of .... nothing.

I certainly hope we'll still be able to buy German Weizenbier. Some Brit breweries are now producing just-about-acceptable wheat beers, but they're not the same.

On the lager front, I'd be less concerned now than I was just a couple of weeks ago. That is to say, I was recently very pleasantly surprised by a lager from our local big brewery: https://www.staustellbrewery.co.uk/korev . If that's the direction of travel of UK breweries, I might start drinking lager rather more than my current couple-of-times-a-year.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » February 2nd, 2017, 4:01 pm

Hijacking this thread with inaccurate and dated notions about US bottled beer is going overboard! Please educate yourselves on the excellent US hoppy beers in the Drink section.

GJHarney
Lemon Slice

Postby GJHarney » February 7th, 2017, 4:29 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
stewamax wrote:My bigger worry is that when we secede from the EU, we will see 'reinheitsgebot'-compliant German beers 'brewed in Northampton under licence' and tasting of .... nothing.

I certainly hope we'll still be able to buy German Weizenbier. Some Brit breweries are now producing just-about-acceptable wheat beers, but they're not the same.

On the lager front, I'd be less concerned now than I was just a couple of weeks ago. That is to say, I was recently very pleasantly surprised by a lager from our local big brewery: https://www.staustellbrewery.co.uk/korev . If that's the direction of travel of UK breweries, I might start drinking lager rather more than my current couple-of-times-a-year.

I would strongly recommend that you seek out and try Tzara by the excellent Thornbridge Brewery, to my palate it actually tastes much better than the German Kolsch (Fruh etc.) it is modeled on. I'm lucky to be in the Booths supermarket area who are second to none in my experience for supermarket beer (and decent value too) and who stock it.

Being someone who grew up on Skol and Greenalls Grunhalle I'm surprised I have the palate I do all things considered, although I do also remember (being an old Chester lad) the delights of the original Wrexham lager that was very much a 'proper' take on a German original as a result German brewer immigrants in the 1880s. Apparently they also developed a way of cooling the beer by having a coiled copper pipe that the beer was pulled through inside a barrel that was then filled with ice on a daily basis, and in fact when the brewery delivered the lager to it's pubs it also delivered fresh supplies of ice that it also made at the brewery, although all that was long gone by the time I started to drink it!

Return to “Bitter Lemons”