Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Disjointed service

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Disjointed service

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 29th, 2021, 6:52 pm

Just placed an online order from Sainsburys. A bigger order than my usual, 'cos it's replenishing the wine rack. 8-) Delivery slot tomorrow - all good.

I also need a very small item for which Argos would be my ideal supplier. I know the Sainsburys that fulfils my order contains Argos: I've used it in person before.

Sainsburys' purchase of Argos was supposed to deliver synergies. So why the **** can't I include an item from Argos in my order from Sainsburys? I even 'phoned them and asked when I failed to find any way on their website! :evil:

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Disjointed service

Postby servodude » March 29th, 2021, 11:41 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:So why the **** can't I include an item from Argos in my order from Sainsburys? I even 'phoned them and asked when I failed to find any way on their website!

what reason did they give?

- sd

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 29th, 2021, 11:55 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Just placed an online order from Sainsburys. A bigger order than my usual, 'cos it's replenishing the wine rack. 8-) Delivery slot tomorrow - all good.

How did you break your wine rack? I'm assuming you overloaded it? May I offer some advice, if I may please ... drink faster or shore up the wine rack with metal ties.
UncleEbenezer wrote:I also need a very small item for which Argos would be my ideal supplier. I know the Sainsburys that fulfils my order contains Argos: I've used it in person before.

Ah ha. Sorry I was too premature. Seems you've ordered the necessary metal ties from Argos.
UncleEbenezer wrote:Sainsburys' purchase of Argos was supposed to deliver synergies. So why the **** can't I include an item from Argos in my order from Sainsburys? I even 'phoned them and asked when I failed to find any way on their website! :evil:

Are the synergies near the sausages?

I think we can arrange for counselling. I really think you need it. Breaking a wine rack and losing your sausages can be very stressful. Don't worry, help is on its way.

AiY

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 30th, 2021, 1:39 pm

servodude wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:So why the **** can't I include an item from Argos in my order from Sainsburys? I even 'phoned them and asked when I failed to find any way on their website!

- sd

Reason?

As far as I can gather, they never thought of it!

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 30th, 2021, 1:55 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:

- sd

Reason?

As far as I can gather, they never thought of it!

They are separate companies and unlikely to have connected supply chains. How that pans out, and whether potential synergies allow for complete integration to become a single business is unclear. I doubt it, at least for some considerable time.

Most shoppers, at least pre-Covid, for Sainsbury's would physically go to the store to shop and pay. For Argos I imagine most do the buying away from the store, some will "click and collect" some will choose delivery (and pay for that delivery). Many of those products purchased won't reside in the limited stock in an Argos store in a Sainsbury's.

For it to make sense for a Sainsbury's to deliver an Argos item, it will either have to be in stock (and a member of staff collect it, in similar fashion to the food ordered), or it will need to be sent to the store (in the same way click and collect would be). So not impossible, but not necessarily efficient. And the customer having this option would be saving on the delivery cost (in other words it will be costing the company more).

It doesn't sound like it is efficient, or profitable, for it to work like that. Now if as customers there was sufficient demand for the service, and a preparedness to pay the appropriate costs for that convenience, the time taken for it to be offered would accelerate. I suspect there isn't that willingness across a sufficiently sized mass for that to happen anytime soon.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » March 31st, 2021, 5:54 pm

Read the title of this thread, and thought: Someone's been watching me play tennis

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » March 31st, 2021, 6:12 pm

Or it was a voodoo ceremony

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 31st, 2021, 8:50 pm

TUK020 wrote:Read the title of this thread, and thought: Someone's been watching me play tennis

I'm not watching you or anyone else play tennis unless you drag me along.

If you're not family, your chances of dragging me along are negligible.

As of now I have no family who play tennis.

Conclusion: it's definitely not about you :P

pompeygazza
Lemon Pip

Postby pompeygazza » April 13th, 2021, 11:03 am

If i need something from Argos I order through ebay. Argos have a shop on there.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 13th, 2021, 2:00 pm

pompeygazza wrote:If i need something from Argos I order through ebay. Argos have a shop on there.

Thanks for the tip. Not that it helps with aggregating orders and minimising separate deliveries.

I now have a shopping list of two Argos items. Both show as in-stock at the Sainsburys I use for online orders, but they refuse to deliver (at all, never mind with a regular grocery order).

Looking at Argos, I see one of those items is £45 from Argos but £89 from Argos's listing on ebay. :evil: The £89 is more like similar items from other suppliers, which is why I'm particularly keen to get the £45.

pompeygazza
Lemon Pip

Postby pompeygazza » April 13th, 2021, 3:42 pm

click and collect it is then.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 4th, 2021, 8:41 am

pompeygazza wrote:click and collect it is then.

No it isn't. I physically can't click and collect the bulky item. It would be easy for a driver, but my eyesight is no longer good enough (I last drove in 2005).

I wonder if I could play the Unlawful Discrimination card over their refusal to deliver? Their Click-and-collect clearly involves delivery to the stores, as it offers different dates from different stores in the area! And they have entrapped me into trying to buy this item, by letting me order online and only when I reach the checkout do they tell me they won't deliver!

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 4th, 2021, 12:37 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Looking at Argos, I see one of those items is £45 from Argos but £89 from Argos's listing on ebay. :evil: The £89 is more like similar items from other suppliers, which is why I'm particularly keen to get the £45.

£89 vs 45? How much would a taxi cost?

Julian F. G. W.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 4th, 2021, 12:40 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I wonder if I could play the Unlawful Discrimination card over their refusal to deliver?

I would be surprised, since their lack of a delivery service applies to everyone.

Julian F. G. W.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » May 4th, 2021, 10:58 pm

A bigger order than my usual, 'cos it's replenishing the wine rack
. (my italics)

How did you break your wine rack? I'm assuming you overloaded it?

How did you reach that conclusion?

I had a 48-bottle wine rack (wood and metal construction) which after years of faithful service holding bottles of water finally collapsed. Thinking it might be of use to one of the many residents in our road i rang doorbells galore to ask if someone would like it. One occupant said they had a built-in wine rack, another said got two already and didn't have room for a third, most of the drinkers (the majority of residents) had existing arrangements. In the end, i did the honourable thing and picking up a hammer smashed the rack to smithereens.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”