Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

corona supermarket in/out logic

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

corona supermarket in/out logic

Postby nmdhqbc » May 1st, 2021, 10:51 am

why do so many supermarkets have the people leaving and entering crossing each others paths. occasionally i can see that there's nowhere for them to queue on the way in if they reversed it but most of the time there's no evident reason to have people walk into each other. a simple thing that would make it safer. the staff just shrug when i comment on it.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: corona supermarket in/out logic

Postby Mike4 » May 1st, 2021, 10:58 am

nmdhqbc wrote:why do so many supermarkets have the people leaving and entering crossing each others paths. occasionally i can see that there's nowhere for them to queue on the way in if they reversed it but most of the time there's no evident reason to have people walk into each other. a simple thing that would make it safer. the staff just shrug when i comment on it.

Odd. All the supermarkets around here (Wiltshire/Berkshire) I can think of have organised separate entrances and exits when physically possible. I visited two Tesco supermarkets yesterday and was pleased to note not only separate entrances/exits, but proper traffic light entry control systems at both to stop the shops getting too full.

(Edit to add a missing word.)

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » May 1st, 2021, 11:36 am

Mike4 wrote:
nmdhqbc wrote:why do so many supermarkets have the people leaving and entering crossing each others paths. occasionally i can see that there's nowhere for them to queue on the way in if they reversed it but most of the time there's no evident reason to have people walk into each other. a simple thing that would make it safer. the staff just shrug when i comment on it.

Odd. All the supermarkets around here (Wiltshire/Berkshire) I can think of have organised separate entrances and exits when physically possible. I visited two Tesco supermarkets yesterday and was pleased to note not only separate entrances/exits, but proper traffic light entry control systems at both to stop the shops getting too full.

(Edit to add a missing word.)

mmm, i may have worded it badly. the entrance and exit are separate but the people leaving have to walk past the entrance to get to the exit. if they swapped the exit and entrance they would not have two flows of people walking past each other.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » May 1st, 2021, 11:39 am

a logical layout is on this page. some i've been to have the entrance and exit the other way around. before corona they were not separate.
http://theseamlessretail.com/2018/05/31 ... sychology/

Return to “Bitter Lemons”