Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

If it wasn't stupid it could almost be funny

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: If it wasn't stupid it could almost be funny

Postby Mike4 » July 16th, 2021, 7:34 pm

As a brat I used to like "Tomorrow's World" with Raymond Baxter. He used to actually understand what he was showing us and explain it properly, technically.

Programme went to the dogs when some bird came along as a professional 'presenter', with clearly no technical foundation knowledge. Just used to try to 'gee-whizz' us with how new and exciting everything was. Maggie Philbin was it, perhaps?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 16th, 2021, 7:41 pm

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » July 17th, 2021, 11:46 pm

Back to the original moan - 1970s Dept. of Employment I was on pay. One chap who seemed to exist on cider and meths had his money cut by the DHSS (for those youngsters amongst us Department of Stealth and Total Obscurity) to 1s 8d - roughly 7p. I was on pay duty that day, he took one look at the paltry amount, spit at it and threw it back at me with with the instruction to "give it to the widders and orphans". Six damn months it took me to finally complete the paperwork on that damn amount. There were procedures to be followed and by god did those procedures grind exceedingly small. It didn't help that the chap who was in charge of finances was a real by the book man and my suggestion that we just follow instruction and give it to the widows and orphans was met with disdain.
The chap who worked with him was a sweetie but a total alcoholic, I only discovered this by accident when I was in their office and had a coughing fit, I poured some water from the caraffe on his desk into my cup and my coughing fit got even worse, it was neat vodka. I'll never forget the look on his face when I went a delicate shade of purple. I didn't drop him in it though because Holy Joe was a vindictive bastard and would have crucified poor Gordon who'd come out of WWII with his nerves shot to pieces.

R6

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 18th, 2021, 3:21 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:If you want to recall cringeworthy game shows you should try Blankety Blank.
Ashamed to say that in 1994 was in the audience for two episodes of The Price is Right with Bruce Forsyth. In fairness it was so bad it was good :roll:

Cringeworthy? The worst was Michael Miles' Take your Pick with his catchphrase 'Take the money or open the box'
He always sounded like the smarmiest type of oleaginous salesman; I only discovered much later that he was a New Zealander!

Return to “Bitter Lemons”