Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

I don't get it

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

I don't get it

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 30th, 2021, 8:47 pm

Brexit, covid, Suez blockage and trade wars.

We're told we don't have enough lorry drivers. The figure varies between 20 to 60,000. There's indications that some restaurants can't get staff.

But we have over a million unemployed?

I've applied for a job with Bumble who have announced unlimited leave for their staff

All we need is a few lousy bricks, roof tiles, roof trusses, cement, concrete, pavers, doors and we can build the countries future houses and buildings.

We don't seem to have planned for anything to bring us out of the pandemic other than to work those who are working even harder.

You couldn't make it up

AiY
Fed up

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Re: I don't get it

Postby Bminusrob » July 31st, 2021, 9:46 am

Oh, how I wish you hadn't started this thread... but since you have...

While I agree that there is a great dearth of planning (see later), it is also about the snowflake work ethic. I read far too often about people demanding flexible working, more time off, and to only work when they feel like it. Well that's fine, as long as during their vast amounts of free time, these snowflakes are happy to go to the shop/garage/pub/restaurant, only to find a sign saying "Closed due to snowflake staff". Once upon a time, I would have blamed this on trades unions, but that is no longer the case. This is something instilled in children from school - you don't have to work hard because we know you are clever really, and we can always fiddle your grades to take account of that - and then going on to get Mickey Mouse degrees, and expecting to earn £50k+ for working the hours they feel like, despite almost no ability in maths or written and spoken English. Whoever invented the slogan "Because you are worth it" should be hung, drawn and quartered.

As for planning, the government wouldn't recognise a plan if it hit them in the face, preferrably while used to wrap a house brick. There is far too much policy based on Twitter sized snippets, and far too much concentration on the green agenda at any cost. We need a plan which is joined up. I can't say I have no problem with making most things electric, but if we are going that way, the corollary is that we need a lot more reliable power generation. This should have been planned years ago. The trouble is the politicians are too afraid to bite the bullet and commission nuclear power stations, because of the snowflake backlash. Wind power is unreliable, but even if it were the answer, the snowflakes and nimbys object to wind turbines. They just want clean, green energy supplied for free by the good fairy.

...and finally, please can we sack all the people writing "learned" papers in green, electric transport, and recruit a whole new team. The only rule I would impose is that nobody living inside the M25 would be recruited, as they don't have a clue what the difference between London levels of public transport and rural levels is.

Oh, I feel so much better for getting that off my chest!

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Re: I don't get it

Postby TUK020 » July 31st, 2021, 11:31 am

Bminusrob wrote:Oh, how I wish you hadn't started this thread... but since you have...

While I agree that there is a great dearth of planning (see later), it is also about the snowflake work ethic. I read far too often about people demanding flexible working, more time off, and to only work when they feel like it. Well that's fine, as long as during their vast amounts of free time, these snowflakes are happy to go to the shop/garage/pub/restaurant, only to find a sign saying "Closed due to snowflake staff". Once upon a time, I would have blamed this on trades unions, but that is no longer the case. This is something instilled in children from school - you don't have to work hard because we know you are clever really, and we can always fiddle your grades to take account of that - and then going on to get Mickey Mouse degrees, and expecting to earn £50k+ for working the hours they feel like, despite almost no ability in maths or written and spoken English. Whoever invented the slogan "Because you are worth it" should be hung, drawn and quartered.

As for planning, the government wouldn't recognise a plan if it hit them in the face, preferrably while used to wrap a house brick. There is far too much policy based on Twitter sized snippets, and far too much concentration on the green agenda at any cost. We need a plan which is joined up. I can't say I have no problem with making most things electric, but if we are going that way, the corollary is that we need a lot more reliable power generation. This should have been planned years ago. The trouble is the politicians are too afraid to bite the bullet and commission nuclear power stations, because of the snowflake backlash. Wind power is unreliable, but even if it were the answer, the snowflakes and nimbys object to wind turbines. They just want clean, green energy supplied for free by the good fairy.

...and finally, please can we sack all the people writing "learned" papers in green, electric transport, and recruit a whole new team. The only rule I would impose is that nobody living inside the M25 would be recruited, as they don't have a clue what the difference between London levels of public transport and rural levels is.

Oh, I feel so much better for getting that off my chest!

"Powered by fairies"
As a slogan it's got legs.
When it becomes government energy policy, remember you read it here first

Return to “Bitter Lemons”