Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Disguised Consumer Price Inflation

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Disguised Consumer Price Inflation

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 27th, 2021, 3:00 pm

Just enjoyed a glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice. My first for far too long. So refreshing, so delicious.

Until about May this year, I'd buy the juice at Lidl: £1.60 for a litre bottle. If the shelf was empty I'd try again in a day or two. Or occasionally go next door to Morrisons and pay their £2.

Note that I don't count the so-called "smooth" version. I'd rather drink lower-grade (and cheaper) juice than have all the goodness removed.

But now Lidl's shelves seem to be perpetually empty. I've found the juice there exactly once in the last three months. Slightly more frequently at Morrisons: enough to keep me in intermittent supply, just mildly annoyed at the 25% higher price.

But now it seems to have vanished permanently not just from Lidl but also Morrisons.. Today after visiting both and coming away empty-handed, I finally bit the bullet and paid Coop's price. At £3 I definitely resent it, but what's the choice? Even the fresh oranges I've sometimes squeezed at home don't seem to have been in evidence of late :cry:

From £1.60 to £3 in a few months. But no actual price rises, just rationing by empty shelves. Grrr ... :evil:

(n.b. this started some time before the "pingdemic" or reports of driver shortages in distribution chains)

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Re: Disguised Consumer Price Inflation

Postby CliffEdge » August 27th, 2021, 4:00 pm

We're going to have to get used to permanent shortages now post brexit. Even Waitrose has empty shelves and many missing items eg frozen carrots, tinned potatoes, hardly exotic stuff you'd think.

What a disaster this is proving to be.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » August 27th, 2021, 4:32 pm

CliffEdge wrote:We're going to have to get used to permanent shortages now post brexit. Even Waitrose has empty shelves and many missing items eg frozen carrots, tinned potatoes, hardly exotic stuff you'd think.

Wow! I didn't even know tinned potatoes was a thing? :) Is this for real?

All the best, Si

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 27th, 2021, 5:11 pm

simoan wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:We're going to have to get used to permanent shortages now post brexit. Even Waitrose has empty shelves and many missing items eg frozen carrots, tinned potatoes, hardly exotic stuff you'd think.

All the best, Si

The Disguised Consumers have taken them all! :D
ps tinned potatoes sound really disgusting

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » August 27th, 2021, 5:16 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:
simoan wrote:

All the best, Si

The Disguised Consumers have taken them all! :D
ps tinned potatoes sound really disgusting

The obvious question is why do they even exist? I have no idea. Under what circumstances would you need potatoes out of a tin!? I find the whole idea bizarre so I'm probably missing something.

All the best, Si

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 27th, 2021, 5:19 pm

simoan wrote:

All the best, Si

Where have you been all your life?! Mind you, I guess you are right if you mean "tinned" in the sense of soldering a piece of wire :shock:

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 27th, 2021, 6:06 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:
tinned potatoes sound really disgusting

Not so bad with some chicken, maybe....

Source - https://www.bobshideout.com/view/foreign-horrifying-food/&page=1

Yum yum....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 27th, 2021, 6:13 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
tinned potatoes sound really disgusting

Not so bad with some chicken, maybe....

Source - https://www.bobshideout.com/view/foreign-horrifying-food/&page=1

Yum yum....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Oh dear, I made the bad mistake of clicking on your link. I think I'm going to throw up!
Advice to other fools, DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK unless you like things like Maggot Cheese

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 27th, 2021, 6:16 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:
Advice to other fools, DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK unless you like things like Maggot Cheese

But then they'd miss learning all about the culinary delights of 'Cowboy Caviar' and 'Mongolian Bodog'....

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » August 27th, 2021, 6:27 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Just enjoyed a glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice. My first for far too long. So refreshing, so delicious.

Until about May this year, I'd buy the juice at Lidl: £1.60 for a litre bottle. If the shelf was empty I'd try again in a day or two. Or occasionally go next door to Morrisons and pay their £2.

But now it seems to have vanished permanently not just from Lidl but also Morrisons.. Today after visiting both and coming away empty-handed, I finally bit the bullet and paid Coop's price. At £3 I definitely resent it, but what's the choice? Even the fresh oranges I've sometimes squeezed at home don't seem to have been in evidence of late :cry:

From £1.60 to £3 in a few months. But no actual price rises, just rationing by empty shelves. Grrr ... :evil:

(n.b. this started some time before the "pingdemic" or reports of driver shortages in distribution chains)

Are you sure the price has gone up at the coop or its just the normal (over priced) convenience store price. You don't normally go there.

I sometimes buy Innocent, it varies between 2.00 and 3.60. I only buy at the bottom, hopefully like shares. I can manage without at nearly double. Unfortunately you can't stock up too much with perishables. There was a website that tracked prices and showed where you could get cheapest items. It was good whilst it lasted.

Allitnil
Lemon Pip

Postby Allitnil » August 27th, 2021, 6:58 pm

simoan wrote:The obvious question is why do they even exist? I have no idea. Under what circumstances would you need potatoes out of a tin!? I find the whole idea bizarre so I'm probably missing something.

I expect they were initially created when it was the craze to can every & anything to preserve it, long before we had temperature controlled storage. As for use, they actually work rather well in Spanish tortillas. Hard to think of any other use for them outside an "end of the world" scenario.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 27th, 2021, 8:39 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:From £1.60 to £3 in a few months. But no actual price rises, just rationing by empty shelves. Grrr ... :evil:

Are you sure the price has gone up at the coop or its just the normal (over priced) convenience store price. You don't normally go there.

No, that's precisely the point. No actual price rises in any shop, it's the price I have to pay that's risen! It's gone from a choice of £1.60 vs £2 vs £3 to a choice of empty shelves vs empty shelves vs £3. I daresay the coop's shelves would be empty too if their price was in line with the others.

And this co-op is a supermarket (formerly Somerfield), and has some good stuff. It's prices are, by and large, a little higher than Lidl or Morrisons, but a lot lower than a convenience shop - including coops in some of the villages.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » August 27th, 2021, 9:43 pm

Yes. Those lorry driver shortages caused by Covid are a bugger, aren't they?
18 months of the older ones retiring/others leaving the job combined with nobody being able to do HGV driving tests for 18 months are taking their toll.

If you want to look for a Brexit bogeyman and insist on it being due to Eastern Europeans "going home"... then I will bite.
Brexit is doing the job we voted for it to do.
Locals not willing to accept £11 an hour for driving an HGV. Wages will have to rise.
Even if that wage doubles then the increase divided by all the goods in the truck = peanuts.
A good thing.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 27th, 2021, 10:17 pm

absolutezero wrote:

Yes. Those lorry driver shortages caused by Covid are a bugger, aren't they?
18 months of the older ones retiring/others leaving the job combined with nobody being able to do HGV driving tests for 18 months are taking their toll.

If you want to look for a Brexit bogeyman and insist on it being due to Eastern Europeans "going home"... then I will bite.
Brexit is doing the job we voted for it to do.
Locals not willing to accept £11 an hour for driving an HGV. Wages will have to rise.
Even if that wage doubles then the increase divided by all the goods in the truck = peanuts.
A good thing.

The story here is that brexit made the job a whole lot more unpleasant. Less productive driving, more unpleasant red tape, huge delays disrupting drivers' lives. Things they used to be able to plan for ("I'll be back home for that ..."), now out of their control.

The problem with orange juice started before the "pingdemic". I daresay other fresh products (to shortages of which I'm less sensitive) are affected.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 28th, 2021, 2:24 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Just enjoyed a glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice. My first for far too long. So refreshing, so delicious.

It were a "starter" at Christmas dinner when I were a kid
- it might be going that way again?!

-sd

Return to “Bitter Lemons”