Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Your call is important to us

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Your call is important to us

Postby Rhyd6 » January 30th, 2022, 2:32 pm

Like hell it is. If it was you wouldn't take the best part of three and half hours to answer it. We've been trying to get through to a certain LPG company for days now. Our tank is almost ampty, there is no information on their web site and several friends in the village are in the same position, some of whom have very young children. When the lady finally answered she was sympathetic but couldn't say when they would be able to make a delivery. We have a contract with them but this doesn't seem to make any difference. A chap phoned us later on after OH had fired off a somewhat blistering email, again plenty of sympathy but no concrete information. We're lucky we have other forms of heating but for people who don't have an alternative it must be very nervewracking.
We live in an area that was renowned for coal mining in Victorian times, I can see some people starting to open up old cast mines if this continues.
Hey ho, throw another log on the fire!

R6

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Your call is important to us

Postby stewamax » January 31st, 2022, 9:57 am

Rhyd6 wrote:We live in an area that was renowned for coal mining in Victorian times, I can see some people starting to open up old cast mines if this continues. Hey ho, throw another log on the fire!

Hmm... they were still mining the Flintshire seams when I was young - chap across the road was a miner at Point of Ayr. And the Denbighshire seams were still going until the mid-1980s; I think the bit at Bersham was the last (and into which the lovely Erddig Hall had already subsided...).

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 31st, 2022, 10:04 am

Rhyd6 wrote:Like hell it is. If it was you wouldn't take the best part of three and half hours to answer it. We've been trying to get through to a certain LPG company for days now. Our tank is almost ampty, there is no information on their web site and several friends in the village are in the same position, some of whom have very young children. When the lady finally answered she was sympathetic but couldn't say when they would be able to make a delivery. We have a contract with them but this doesn't seem to make any difference. A chap phoned us later on after OH had fired off a somewhat blistering email, again plenty of sympathy but no concrete information. We're lucky we have other forms of heating but for people who don't have an alternative it must be very nervewracking.
We live in an area that was renowned for coal mining in Victorian times, I can see some people starting to open up old cast mines if this continues.
Hey ho, throw another log on the fire!

R6

Just make sure the water content is below 20%.

Dod

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 31st, 2022, 2:50 pm

Dod101 wrote:Just make sure the water content is below 20%.

Nah - just dry the coal out in front of a ..... good fire

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 31st, 2022, 8:24 pm

stewamax wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Just make sure the water content is below 20%.

Nah - just dry the coal out in front of a ..... good fire

Your coal is important to us. Please don't burn up.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » January 31st, 2022, 11:24 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Like hell it is. If it was you wouldn't take the best part of three and half hours to answer it.

Sign of the times. Businesses come first, consumers aren't protected by consumer protections.

Businesses taking too long to answer calls - solution have a automated answering service so that all calls are answered in seconds/instantly. Problem resolved (a tick in a spreadsheet). That you might be left hanging on a 'your call is important to us' for 40 minutes+, paying for the call !! Wasn't so bad when the calls were free for the caller, companies paid for the call (0800 numbers), but then along came 0845 numbers where the teleco's pay them for calls made to that number, so incentivised to keep you hanging as long as possible, perhaps reading out a whole torrent of Covid or other irrelevant 'information'.

Complaint? Here's a web link, that often doesn't even work or when it does its a automated email to thank you for submission and we may get back to you in a few months time.

Don't like our service, well goodbye, we don't give a toss.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 6th, 2022, 6:05 pm

Companies care while it suits them. After all, companies are run by people, and with a few exceptions, that's how people are.
If you've ever tried to get up steam for events in a village you'll know how very few people are willing to put themselves out and help.

From our first house - built 1932, ours 1975 - we have ensured that we had alternate heating. Open fires, then in our next house an open fire and two-gas coal with no nannying controls just a gas tap, and now in our cottage two woodburners.

We had some coal once. By which I mean real coal, the shiny stuff, just as it came out of the ground. Not the doesn't-want-to-light smokeless pap. We inherited it in 1980, in the coal hole of our second house where the PO had lived since he built the house in 1921.
I burned a little then realising how special it was I put it in a tin bath at the back of a shed to burn in the open fire of our library.
But the library never happened or at any rate not for 32 years just before we moved, by which time I'd forgotten about the shiny coal the real coal.
It reappeared on the morning that we moved house, in the last knockings of clearing the shed(s), we couldn't fit it in the overstuffed Land Rover and had to leave it behind, so I never did get to burn it. :(

V8

Return to “Bitter Lemons”