Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Background music.

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Background music.

Postby redsturgeon » April 11th, 2022, 11:05 am

I'm not talking about music added to increase drama in films or documentaries but the incessant background music that seems to be added to all news broadcasts or segments where people are just talking or relaying information. The constant "thump, thump, thump" in the background of BBC news or just various odd background sounds on everything these days, even many youtube videos.

What is the point?

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Background music.

Postby pje16 » April 11th, 2022, 11:08 am

can't say I have noticed
I hope I don't now :lol:

mind you I have always been able tune out background noise eg working in an office

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 11th, 2022, 11:10 am

redsturgeon wrote:I'm not talking about music added to increase drama in films or documentaries but the incessant background music that seems to be added to all news broadcasts or segments where people are just talking or relaying information. The constant "thump, thump, thump" in the background of BBC news or just various odd background sounds on everything these days, even many youtube videos.

What is the point?

Well... we could think that it gave us the Bill Bailey sketch about the News theme being a rave track? Which might make it worth it?
That might predate you tube though?
-sd

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 11th, 2022, 11:14 am

servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I'm not talking about music added to increase drama in films or documentaries but the incessant background music that seems to be added to all news broadcasts or segments where people are just talking or relaying information. The constant "thump, thump, thump" in the background of BBC news or just various odd background sounds on everything these days, even many youtube videos.

What is the point?

Well... we could think that it gave us the Bill Bailey sketch about the News theme being a rave track? Which might make it worth it?
That might predate you tube though?
-sd

Maybe :D

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 11th, 2022, 2:38 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I'm not talking about music added to increase drama in films or documentaries....

Suit yourself, but I am]! Brian Cox's last series was probably the worst loud-music offender I can recall - it made the programme all but unlistenable. Although that might be because most of the music had been borrowed from half-strangled cats being thrown down an electronic well?

Over the last week we've been watching the BBC's 28 Up series about millennial kids, which was really rather good. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... generation . But the one thing that's harder than attuning your ears to an teenager's unfamiliar scouse or Ulster accent is when the speaker is mumbling into his crisps to an incessant thumpadumpadumpa eeeeoooowwwww whooshooshoosh soundtrack that's presumably a pretty fair reflection of life as he experiences it.

Then again, maybe I just need to adjust my set? What was it we used to say, fifty years ago? If it's too loud, you're too old. :lol:

BJ

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 11th, 2022, 2:43 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Then again, maybe I just need to adjust my set? What was it we used to say, fifty years ago? If it's too loud, you're too old. :lol:
BJ

Wow I must be a teenager (again)
I can turn the music in my car up so loud the reaer view mirror vibrates ( not for too long though :lol: )

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 11th, 2022, 3:45 pm

pje16 wrote:Wow I must be a teenager (again)
I can turn the music in my car up so loud the reaer view mirror vibrates ( not for too long though :lol: )

No, it's just that you're going deaf :)

RC

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 11th, 2022, 3:51 pm

Please read what I said or do you need glasses :lol:
I said I CAN, not I NEED to

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » April 11th, 2022, 4:19 pm

[quote="redsturgeon"]I'm not talking about music added to increase drama in films or documentaries but the incessant background music that seems to be added to all news broadcasts or segments where people are just talking or relaying information. The constant "thump, thump, thump" in the background of BBC news or just various odd background sounds on everything these days, even many youtube videos.

What is the point?[/quote

I hope you rouse more sympathy than I got when moaning about the the presentation of the news and all the crash bang crap
Can I also moan about how so much drama intentionally obscurs the 'background lighting' --- so that it cleverly makes the characters indistinguishable and the scenes pretty much all the same.
A variation of 'always leave them wanting more'
Give 'em nothing at the start
TELEVISION it aint!

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » April 11th, 2022, 5:51 pm

pje16 wrote:Please read what I said or do you need glasses :lol:
I said I CAN, not I NEED to

Pardon

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 13th, 2022, 5:39 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I'm not talking about music added to increase drama in films or documentaries but the incessant background music that seems to be added to all news broadcasts or segments where people are just talking or relaying information.
What is the point?

Ah yes, the tinkly music.
Actually, it's quite useful because it's an indicator that the programme is not worth listening to.

Mind you, I seem to recall Pathe news was generally accompanied by a band playing jolly tunes.

V8

Return to “Bitter Lemons”