Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Nothing- just like the site

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Nothing- just like the site

Postby XFool » April 13th, 2022, 7:55 pm

Dod101 wrote:I have just taken the trouble to log in before I go to bed. The Quick links send me to anything but 'Shares, Investment and Personal Discussion Forums'.

I joined TMF because it was mainly about shares and peoples' views about shares and investments and so on, not about say wars in Europe or the price of soap. TLF claims to have taken over where TMF left off but it does not. On investment matters it is primarily HYP and on everything else ........well it depends on what is topical.

Dod

So why not just post on your own investment interests? I really don't see the problem. (Apart perhaps for a dearth of investment posts in general)

Non investment posts do not prevent investment posts - why should they?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 13th, 2022, 8:05 pm

I don't know why people navigate the site through the "New posts" quick link, then complain it takes them to subjects they're not interested in. Of course it will!

The board software provides a multitude of routes to navigate to posts you're more likely to be interested in. You can subscribe to forums and topics, and get notifications and coloured icons to take you straight to new posts of interest.

I pretty much exclusively use my Notifications as the only way in to the site these days, taking me directly to relevant new posts.

Scott.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 13th, 2022, 8:14 pm

richfool wrote:I think the investment side of the site is dying, because of all the non-finance postings.

I think this is ridiculous...

richfool wrote:There are now so few investment postings that I find it no longer worth the trouble in trying to participate. I might as well pursue my investment interests elsewhere, which is what I am now doing.

OTOH. Could this be relevant? People posting less about investment - less investment posts on the site.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 13th, 2022, 8:33 pm

csearle wrote:The trickiest is the Current Affairs & News board, which by its very nature is at best tangential to investing and likely to inflame passions a bit. Maybe it would be better, as before, behind an opt-in wall?

I must quickly jump on that!

I have no objection in principle to such an arrangement - doesn't mean I think it makes sense or is a good idea.

BUT - The last time this was done, posts that moderators didn't 'like' were sometimes moved, without the poster's agreement, behind the barrier. This was and would be unreasonable. If I don't want to post in XXX - behind a barrier - then I don't want my posts moved to XXX - behind a barrier.

This ought to be a matter of simple politeness, apart from anything else...
Last edited by XFool on April 13th, 2022, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 13th, 2022, 8:36 pm

Lootman wrote:PS: Post number 13,000 so I do my bit to keep up the total activity here, even if most of them are trivial, self-indulgent and possibly even contradictory. :D

No **** Sherlock?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 13th, 2022, 8:49 pm

richfool wrote:Well my 3 posts on the subject, politely agreeing with Dod's OP and sentiments (that there aren't enough investment posts and that there are too many other topics and posts on non-investment subjects), have all been removed, so that's the last straw that breaks the camel's back as far as I am concerned. So I have now left.

Goodbye everyone. Thanks for the investment input over the years.

Make sure you keep a copy of what you post, in case its indiscriminately removed, just because a moderator disagrees with you.

Ahem!

Now here, i.e. above, are some real problems IMO.

I hope richfool reconsiders.

Missing posts (also reported by Dodds?) can arise due to NON Posting. More than one thing can cause that.
But you just don't know... Which is a problem (one of them).

So yes, you do really need to keep a copy of your posts (for this and other reasons). Tedious.

Um...

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 13th, 2022, 8:50 pm

XFool wrote:I have no objection in principle to such an arrangement - doesn't mean I think it makes sense or is a good idea.

BUT - The last time this was done, posts that moderators didn't 'like' were sometimes moved, without the poster's agreement, behind the barrier. This was and would be unreasonable. If I don't want to post in XXX - behind a barrier - then I don't want my posts moved to XXX - behind a barrier.

This ought to be a matter of simple politeness, apart from anything else...
I see that. From our perspective the opt-in place was simply a great facility for moving posts that were just too controversial for the non-opt-in bit.

I see that that leaves posters that don't want to opt-in in the awkward situation where to continue their conversation they are required to do what they don't want to do.

I suppose the alternative is to delete those posts. Personally I am very, very reluctant to delete anyone's posts not least because they have made the effort to craft them and post them.

I am really not sure what is for the best.

C.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 13th, 2022, 8:51 pm

...If the circumstances were as above, I would opt for deletion.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 13th, 2022, 10:06 pm

XFool wrote:
I must quickly jump on that!

And I think it's at that point where I say 'I rest my case, m'lud'...

Itsallaguess

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 13th, 2022, 10:14 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
XFool wrote:I must quickly jump on that!

And I think it's at that point where I say 'I rest my case, m'lud'...

Itsallaguess

Why?

dave559
Lemon Pip

Postby dave559 » April 13th, 2022, 11:58 pm

Dod101 wrote:If you follow this site, you will see that I contribute from time to time. I just find it at times (apart from IDP) that at times, there is not a lot of investment discussions. Everything seems to be dominated by Covid or some political theme. Very boring.

Dod

Sorry, Dod, I certainly didn't mean to imply that you don't contribute usefully to the site, apologies if my (late night) reply came across that way. I just meant that if there happens to be a lull in what any of us feels to be on-topic financial discussion, then the onus is on each of us to choose to take the initiative to start a new discussion.

But perhaps it is like a night out in the pub: sometimes there is a natural pause in the conversation from time to time, everyone takes a sup of their drink, and then (eventually) someone thinks of something else to say…

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » April 14th, 2022, 12:47 am

mc2fool wrote:
Here's a not too difficult to get stat: of the current 6589 members only 2732 (41%) have ever posted and only 1099 (17%) have posted 10 or more times.

And here's another one I gleaned out of curiosity a few months ago - I doubt it has changed significantly (the sad loss of two prominent members notwithstanding):

The most prolific 38 members (0.58%) have posted more (i.e. > 50% of all posts ever made) than the rest of us put together. Not sure what that tells us, but I thought it was quite interesting!

CP - responsible for 1 in every 625 posts (0.16%)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 14th, 2022, 12:56 am

CryptoPlankton wrote:The most prolific 38 members (0.58%) have posted more (i.e. > 50% of all posts ever made) than the rest of us put together. Not sure what that tells us, but I thought it was quite interesting!

Using a market analogy, perhaps those 38 souls should be seen as the market makers of the site, providing liquidity, and always standing ready and able to provide a two-way market by taking the other side of any argument?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 14th, 2022, 7:22 am

dave559 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:If you follow this site, you will see that I contribute from time to time. I just find it at times (apart from IDP) that at times, there is not a lot of investment discussions. Everything seems to be dominated by Covid or some political theme. Very boring.

Dod

Sorry, Dod, I certainly didn't mean to imply that you don't contribute usefully to the site, apologies if my (late night) reply came across that way. I just meant that if there happens to be a lull in what any of us feels to be on-topic financial discussion, then the onus is on each of us to choose to take the initiative to start a new discussion.

But perhaps it is like a night out in the pub: sometimes there is a natural pause in the conversation from time to time, everyone takes a sup of their drink, and then (eventually) someone thinks of something else to say…

No need to apologise but thanks anyway!

Dod

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » April 14th, 2022, 1:20 pm

Lootman wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote:The most prolific 38 members (0.58%) have posted more (i.e. > 50% of all posts ever made) than the rest of us put together. Not sure what that tells us, but I thought it was quite interesting!

Using a market analogy, perhaps those 38 souls should be seen as the market makers of the site, providing liquidity, and always standing ready and able to provide a two-way market by taking the other side of any argument?

A nice analogy, unsurprisingly written by one of the 38, and recced by another two! Alternatively, using a pub analogy, those 38 souls could be seen as the regulars, hugely influencing how welcoming the place feels, possibly imbibing a little more than is good for their health but, in doing so, undoubtedly contributing massively to the pub's continued survival. :)

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 14th, 2022, 1:57 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:A nice analogy, unsurprisingly written by one of the 38, and recced by another two!

How do you know? I thought recs were anonymous.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 14th, 2022, 2:02 pm

dealtn wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote:A nice analogy, unsurprisingly written by one of the 38, and recced by another two!

Open your profile. At the bottom of the screen you can see a button which will enable you to view who you have thanked and who has thanked you.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 14th, 2022, 2:06 pm

Lootman wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Open your profile. At the bottom of the screen you can see a button which will enable you to view who you have thanked and who has thanked you.

Yes. So how does CryptoPlankton know the identity of the 2 people that recced you?

You will know. He will know he was one of them, if he did. But how would he know the other one (or two), to know they were also in the "top 38"?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 14th, 2022, 2:13 pm

dealtn wrote:
Lootman wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Yes. So how does CryptoPlankton know the identity of the 2 people that recced you?

You will know. He will know he was one of them, if he did. But how would he know the other one (or two), to know they were also in the "top 38"?

You can view the lists for any Lemon. Just open their profile.

The most recent thanks are at the top of the list. Click on "for post" and it sends you to the post the thanks were for.

There might be other ways of course.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 14th, 2022, 3:17 pm

Lootman wrote:You can view the lists for any Lemon. Just open their profile.

The most recent thanks are at the top of the list. Click on "for post" and it sends you to the post the thanks were for.

There might be other ways of course.

This was, of course, why the late great Gengulphus never thanked anyone. He had a big issue with the privacy aspects.

Scott.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”