Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

[expletive deleted] happens

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

[expletive deleted] happens

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 24th, 2022, 11:43 pm

Scale of raw sewage released into Gloucestershire's rivers 'staggering'

Severn Trent, as the largest operator in the county, made up nearly three quarters of all release hours, at 37,602.

Unbelievable amounts of raw sewage entering our waterways. We pay for this kind of failure. Appalling ... absolutely appalling.

If raw sewage was allowed to enter our back gardens or back yard we would object. Yet we allow it to enter our water courses. It needs to stop.

AiY(D)

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Manure happens

Postby monabri » April 25th, 2022, 9:07 am

I reported a problem to Severn Trent five times before they fixed it. A new housing estate had been built and the sewerage discharge was into a local stream ( pipes not connected correctly). It really was a disgusting smell and a lurid green colour in the water. 100 metres downstream was a crossing point ( a bridge) but it was shallow and dogs ( and kids) splashed across there. Eventually Severn Trent put up a very small notice (A5 size) advising people not to go into the stream. The note was affixed to an upright on the bridge at knee level ( maybe to warn the dogs? :roll: )

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » April 25th, 2022, 10:39 am

This country's decline is ever more irrefutable

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » April 25th, 2022, 5:35 pm

CliffEdge wrote:This country's decline is ever more irrefutable

Really, I thought that was solved by Brexit?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 25th, 2022, 8:05 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Unbelievable amounts of raw sewage entering our waterways.

I'm not sure I believe that... :lol:

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 26th, 2022, 2:05 pm

monabri wrote:I reported a problem to Severn Trent five times before they fixed it. A new housing estate had been built and the sewerage discharge was into a local stream ( pipes not connected correctly). It really was a disgusting smell and a lurid green colour in the water. 100 metres downstream was a crossing point ( a bridge) but it was shallow and dogs ( and kids) splashed across there. Eventually Severn Trent put up a very small notice (A5 size) advising people not to go into the stream. The note was affixed to an upright on the bridge at knee level ( maybe to warn the dogs? :roll: )

As someone who used to play in our village streams and ponds as a child, I'm confused as to how a company can possibly have the right to do this without incurring hefty fines.

If I ran pipes from our toilets down into the gutter of our road or our neighbour's fish pond, would that be okay?

Even if I affix a note?

Seriously, I assume they must have some kind of permission to do this, but from whom?

Steve

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 26th, 2022, 2:28 pm

The problem I reported! ( no camera tricks applied.it really was that horrible colour and the smell was :( )

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 26th, 2022, 2:38 pm

stevensfo wrote:
monabri wrote:I reported a problem to Severn Trent five times before they fixed it. A new housing estate had been built and the sewerage discharge was into a local stream ( pipes not connected correctly). It really was a disgusting smell and a lurid green colour in the water. 100 metres downstream was a crossing point ( a bridge) but it was shallow and dogs ( and kids) splashed across there. Eventually Severn Trent put up a very small notice (A5 size) advising people not to go into the stream. The note was affixed to an upright on the bridge at knee level ( maybe to warn the dogs? :roll: )

As someone who used to play in our village streams and ponds as a child, I'm confused as to how a company can possibly have the right to do this without incurring hefty fines.

Steve

They can't, it is illegal. However the water company probably don't get into trouble, the builder/developer does, from the EA or Defra or whichever dept deals with it this month (did you know a dead sheep dumped into a stream is now dealt with by Trading Standards).

So ST won't really care if they aren't doing the polluting, it isn't their stream. They will care about all the surface water going into their treatment plant, but they'll just pass it on until someone gets around to digging up the drains and reconnecting them properly.

We have a 22mm pipe here supplying several properties. Permission has just been given to build glamping nearby, adding on to the same supply. Apparently as we have 1 bar and 6l/min it is fine. In fact we only have that if we take it in turns to use the tap, but ST don't care as each supply meets the minimum requirements.

Paul

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 26th, 2022, 2:48 pm

monabri wrote:The problem I reported! ( no camera tricks applied.it really was that horrible colour and the smell was :( )

Why on earth is it green?

Steve

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 26th, 2022, 2:55 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Steve

They can't, it is illegal. However the water company probably don't get into trouble, the builder/developer does, from the EA or Defra or whichever dept deals with it this month (did you know a dead sheep dumped into a stream is now dealt with by Trading Standards).

So ST won't really care if they aren't doing the polluting, it isn't their stream. They will care about all the surface water going into their treatment plant, but they'll just pass it on until someone gets around to digging up the drains and reconnecting them properly.

We have a 22mm pipe here supplying several properties. Permission has just been given to build glamping nearby, adding on to the same supply. Apparently as we have 1 bar and 6l/min it is fine. In fact we only have that if we take it in turns to use the tap, but ST don't care as each supply meets the minimum requirements.

Paul

But as Monabri wrote: A new housing estate had been built and the sewerage discharge was into a local stream

So somebody took the decision to do that. Who? Why?

I'm going crazy. I read just recently about a guy who was given a ticket cos the shadow of his car fell within a disabled space. You can now be fined for opening your car door with the wrong hand or crossing white line to avoid cyclists even when the road ahead is completely clear etc etc.

But you pollute a public place with faeces and chemicals and potentially kill loads of wildlife, nobody bats an eyelid?

Steve

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 26th, 2022, 6:26 pm

stevensfo wrote:
But as Monabri wrote: A new housing estate had been built and the sewerage discharge was into a local stream

Steve

I don't think anyone decided to do that. I think it was a cock up with the connection between surface and foul drains. If we can see the planning application, we can look at the SUDS report and see what was intended. If it is on a private system (massively unusual except for single dwellings) discharge into a water course must go through a treatment plant before outflow, and the Binding Regs are pretty strict on capacity and operation. Building Regs should not have signed the development off if they'd known it was wrong.

About a decade or so ago whole areas of Plymouth were being dug up to reroute where combined foul/surface sewers had been installed in the 1920s onwards and now needed to be seperated. I doubt it was the only area.

Paul

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 26th, 2022, 6:49 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

I don't think anyone decided to do that. I think it was a cock up with the connection between surface and foul drains.

Monabri even said "the sewerage discharge was into a local stream ( pipes not connected correctly)." So no need to assume someone took the decision.

Scott.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 27th, 2022, 4:34 pm

swill453 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

I don't think anyone decided to do that. I think it was a cock up with the connection between surface and foul drains.

Monabri even said "the sewerage discharge was into a local stream ( pipes not connected correctly)." So no need to assume someone took the decision.

Scott.

Unbelievable! So when you have raw sewage pumped into your bedroom at 4am, you just shrug your shoulders and say that it was 'a cock up'. Nobody's fault! The decision happened out of thin air. Nobody actually ordered the connection. Somebody, somewhere just worked very hard and laid all those pipes and were told how to connect them, but that person doesn't really exist.

But that 'someone' laid the pipes to a public stream, rather than the local Primary school. No decision. Really?

Steve

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 27th, 2022, 5:30 pm

stevensfo wrote:Unbelievable! So when you have raw sewage pumped into your bedroom at 4am, you just shrug your shoulders and say that it was 'a cock up'. Nobody's fault!

I've not shrugged my shoulders, it's nothing to do with me. Yes it seems to have been a cock up, and most definitely the fault of the person or persons who made the cock up.

Don't know why you're getting so vexed though, sh*t happens...

And hopefully gets fixed when it's pointed out. If not, that's another fault.

EDIT: Water companies being legally allowed to dump raw sewage into water courses is an entirely different, deplorable matter.

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 27th, 2022, 8:12 pm

So how much discharge into surface drains is due to DIYers at home? Things like the washing machine you install into the porch and drain directly into the gutter?

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » April 28th, 2022, 5:47 pm

DrFfybes wrote:About a decade or so ago whole areas of Plymouth were being dug up to reroute where combined foul/surface sewers had been installed in the 1920s onwards and now needed to be seperated. I doubt it was the only area.

Paul

Far from uncommon in fact very standard practice. The area I live in has combined drainage/sewage and no plans that I’m aware of to change it as every single building in several square miles would need to be individually replumbed to separate drainage from roofs and groundwater from sewage. No wonder the water company tears its hair out when it rains.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”