Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

20mph

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: 20mph

Postby Arborbridge » August 4th, 2022, 7:39 am

MrFoolish wrote:If children are taught (like I was) not to step out into the road when there's a car coming, then it makes no difference if the car is doing 30 mph or 20 mph.

If the children (or adults for that matter) can't walk somewhere without their heads buried in their phones then good luck to them.

Responsibility cuts two ways.

That's a bit harsh. There will always be individuals who make mistakes, and a mistake in 30mph traffic has a far higher penalty than 20mph. Particularly with the young or the old. I am not prepared to think of this as some Darwinian experiment in the survival of the fittest.

My POV comes from believing that the motorist is the one with the dynamics at their disposal - they are providing the force given by a lethal weapon, and need extra limits put on the damage they can do in various circumstances.

As an aside: There's a debate going on in our village at present about having a 20mph limit throughout - a good thing I would say. However, the irony is that one cannot go at more than this speed during most of the day because it is clogged up with cars!

Arb.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”