Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Too much choice

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
doolally
Lemon Slice

Too much choice

Postby doolally » August 19th, 2022, 12:27 pm

In our consumerist society, it's nice to have a choice. Or is it? Doing our weekly shop this morning, and I had an inkling for a tin of tuna for lunch. Went to the tuna section in Sainsburys and faced with a truly staggering choice, There were over 40 different varieties of tinned tuna on the shelves. That is just bonkers.
doolally

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Too much choice

Postby pje16 » August 19th, 2022, 12:49 pm

The adverts from yesteryear are so much better than today's twaddle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SAbJjktk7E

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 19th, 2022, 1:14 pm

Tuna? Well, mate, you can have bluefin, yellowfin, sharkfin, anyfin really. And you can have any of these in corn oil, rapeseed oil, olive oil, extra virgin oil, organic extra virgin oil, anything you like. Don't ask me what an organic extra virgin looks like, but I think I might have met one once at Glastonbury. :(

Then you've got the choice between rod caught, net caught, accidentally caught, sustainably dead or alive, with or without Japanese mercury, and vegan tuna substitute of course. North Pacific, or South Pacific, where the prices are bound to be Bali Hai. Curried, chillied, filleted, chunked, flaked, UN approved, or deep frozen from the hold of an illegal Russian trawler. Honestly, the fuss some people make about too much choice. :evil:

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 19th, 2022, 1:29 pm

Which reminds me of my days in cold war East Berlin. We'd nip through Checkpoint Charlie whenever we were skint, because the food was cheaper in the Democratic Republic. But on one day I was walking past the only department store in town, and there was a queue outside that stretched halfway round the block. And a large sign in the window read Kugelschreiber.

What was so special about ballpoint pens? They had to be pretty special, I thought. So I asked the doorman what was causing so much interest?

He glared at me. "They're pens," he said, "and we've received a consignment. Now, do you want to join the queue for one, or not?"

BJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 19th, 2022, 2:53 pm

doolally wrote: There were over 40 different varieties of tinned tuna on the shelves. That is just bonkers.
doolally

MrsF asked me to get some "whitening" toothpaste.

IIRC there were about 40 choices.

Turns out Colgate alone make 23 different types....

Max White Expert Anti-Stain Whitening Toothpaste
Max White Ultimate Renewal Whitening Toothpaste
Max White & Protect Whitening Toothpaste
Sensitive With Sensifoam Toothpaste
Maximum Cavity Protection Toothpaste
Total Whitening Toothpaste
Advanced White Charcoal Toothpaste
Max White Expert Shine Glossy Mint Whitening Toothpaste
Max White Expert Original Whitening Toothpaste
Advanced White Toothpaste
Max White Sparkle Diamonds Whitening Toothpaste
Max White Extra Care Sensitive Protect Whitening Toothpaste
Elixir White Restore Toothpaste
Max White Extra Care Enamel Protect Whitening Toothpaste
Max White One Whitening Toothpaste
Max White Luminous Whitening Toothpaste
Deep Clean With Baking Soda Toothpaste
Max White Crystals Whitening Toothpaste
Max White Expert Complete Whitening Toothpaste
Max White Ultimate Catalyst Whitening Toothpaste
Max White Charcoal Whitening Toothpaste
Max White Optic Whitening Toothpaste
Anti-Tartar + Whitening Toothpaste

Erm, yes I did paste[1] the list.

Paul

[1] see what I did there :)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 19th, 2022, 3:35 pm

doolally wrote:In our consumerist society, it's nice to have a choice. Or is it? Doing our weekly shop this morning, and I had an inkling for a tin of tuna for lunch. Went to the tuna section in Sainsburys and faced with a truly staggering choice, There were over 40 different varieties of tinned tuna on the shelves. That is just bonkers.
doolally

Was your wife in Sainsbury's in southside Glasgow a few weeks ago? I was looking for a tin of mackerel and this old biddy next to me was muttering under her breath about all the different tins of salmon.

--kiloran

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » August 19th, 2022, 3:54 pm

kiloran wrote:
doolally wrote:In our consumerist society, it's nice to have a choice. Or is it? Doing our weekly shop this morning, and I had an inkling for a tin of tuna for lunch. Went to the tuna section in Sainsburys and faced with a truly staggering choice, There were over 40 different varieties of tinned tuna on the shelves. That is just bonkers.
doolally

Was your wife in Sainsbury's in southside Glasgow a few weeks ago? I was looking for a tin of mackerel and this old biddy next to me was muttering under her breath about all the different tins of salmon.

--kiloran

Sounds like my wife, but I'll need to ask her what she was doing in south Glasgow. We're to the east of Glasgow and have a perfectly acceptable Sainsburys about 4 miles away in Hamilton.
doolally :lol:

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » August 20th, 2022, 11:33 pm

They didn't have any tinned fish in Lidl last week. They had some teabags in at last, only gone up in price by 25% since they last had them in four weeks ago.
I usually use one bag for two cups, looks like it'll be three cups now,
But what a disgrace Waitrose is! No McDougal's instant thickening granules. Don't stock them any more. What is the point of Waitrose? Oh and John Lewis are scrapping the credit card.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 21st, 2022, 3:31 am

doolally wrote:
kiloran wrote:
doolally

--kiloran

Sounds like my wife, but I'll need to ask her what she was doing in south Glasgow. We're to the east of Glasgow and have a perfectly acceptable Sainsburys about 4 miles away in Hamilton.

"Southside Glasgow"?
that sounds like a very fancy name for Nitshill ;)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 21st, 2022, 7:55 am

servodude wrote:
doolally wrote:
kiloran wrote:
doolally

--kiloran

"Southside Glasgow"?

Youir Glaswegian geography is getting a bit rusty, servo. It's Darnley. Much more upmarket ;)

--kiloran

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 21st, 2022, 8:21 am

kiloran wrote:
servodude wrote:
doolally wrote:
kiloran wrote:
doolally

--kiloran

"Southside Glasgow"?

Youir Glaswegian geography is getting a bit rusty, servo. It's Darnley. Much more upmarket ;)

--kiloran

Aye sure ;)

They're a stone's throw apart and I know that because growing up in Barrhead watching the denizens of Darnley throw stones at the folk in Nitshill was what we did for entertainment when getting the train.
Still... at least it shuts before the night bus goes past!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 21st, 2022, 9:15 am

Snorvey wrote:I have friends that live in Galasheils.

They take exception to being called 'practically English'

Aye well how would you like to be called a p00fter? ;)

Wait.. wisnae there a Dundee thread somewhere?
As a Buddy I've got some gloatin' to dae

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » August 21st, 2022, 8:33 pm

In the earlier days of commercial television, there were adverts for men's white greasy hair cream.
Life was easy: you had two choices - Brylcreem and Sivikrin.

In one advert, a chap (obviously one of the 'chaps') - well-fed and with slicked-back wavy hair - was holding a shotgun at the ready.
The angelic choir voice-over sang: "When the geese fly high in the morning sky, men use Silvikrin hair cream" followed by a satisfyingly resonant CRACK.
The woke brigade and animal rights activists would now be killing the manufacturers instead,.

(In passing, Brylcreem was first made in a the chemical factory better known for a pink very abrasive cleaning paste called Chemico that was (and still is) wonderful for removing scum line (and, if you overdo things, the enamel) from the sides of baths.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 21st, 2022, 8:54 pm

doolally

I agree. A choice of 39 would have been plenty.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 21st, 2022, 10:33 pm

doolally

Tomatoes: a mine field. So many to choose from - different types, different quality and then there's the other aspects - air miles? Kent; yes good, Morrocco, too far (but...they need our cash, don't they, they are poorer than us); Dutch?; yes we met some nice Dutch people and they all speak English; France? well, perhaps back to the Dutch. Where's Guernsey? spent lots of nice holidays there but don't see their tomatoes.

It can take ten minutes on one product alone. Luckily, I don't like tuna much. :D

Arb.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 22nd, 2022, 9:06 am

Arborbridge wrote:Tomatoes: a mine field. So many to choose from - different types, different quality and then there's the other aspects - air miles? Kent; yes good, Morrocco, too far (but...they need our cash, don't they, they are poorer than us); Dutch?; yes we met some nice Dutch people and they all speak English; France? well, perhaps back to the Dutch.

While camping in France one year, we met the owner of a vast Dutch tomato growing operation - maybe 60 hectares of polytunnels, all fuelled by cheap gas, courtesy of the Dutch government. I'm a pretty keen tomato grower myself, so I asked him which varieties he favoured?

"Absolutely no idea," he said. "I wouldn't be seen dead eating my tomatoes. They're for the supermarkets. They don't taste of anything." :D

BJ (currently growing costoluto fiorentina, since you ask. Brilliant taste. And tiny red alerts for my granddaughter. ;) )

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 22nd, 2022, 10:38 am

Arborbridge wrote:Tomatoes: a mine field. So many to choose from - different types, different quality and then there's the other aspects - air miles? Kent; yes good, Morrocco, too far (but...they need our cash, don't they, they are poorer than us); Dutch?; yes we met some nice Dutch people and they all speak English; France? well, perhaps back to the Dutch. Where's Guernsey? spent lots of nice holidays there but don't see their tomatoes.
Arb.

Tomatoes tend to be best from around the med. More local ones (Brit, Dutch) can be good, but you'll rarely see those in a supermarket. And airmiles from Morocco may be a lot less bad than heated greenhouses here.

And those airmiles aren't necessarily happening. Fresh produce travels overland from Europe: for example, about 15 years ago Tesco started running trains from Spain through the channel tunnel to supply their UK depots.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”