Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

No intelligent life at The Telegraph

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Lemon Quarter

No intelligent life at The Telegraph

Postby 9873210 » January 28th, 2023, 6:54 am

The Telegraph wrote:‘Goldilocks’ revelation shortens the odds of finding alien life
It means that the number of worlds that could contain alien life has been vastly overestimated, scientists say.

Shortening the odds means that something is more likely, not less.

Not posted in Pedants' Place because complaining about using words to mean exactly the opposite of what they mean is not pedantry.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: No intelligent life at The Telegraph

Postby Dod101 » January 28th, 2023, 8:18 am

9873210 wrote:
The Telegraph wrote:‘Goldilocks’ revelation shortens the odds of finding alien life
It means that the number of worlds that could contain alien life has been vastly overestimated, scientists say.

Shortening the odds means that something is more likely, not less.

Not posted in Pedants' Place because complaining about using words to mean exactly the opposite of what they mean is not pedantry.

Quite right, it is ignorance or worse, like the use of the phrase, 'cannot be underestimated', when the writer means 'cannot be over estimated'

Dod

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 28th, 2023, 8:43 am

I have been silently appalled by the substandard journalism at The Telegraph for a long time. Some of the articles might have been written by work experience interns, they read so poorly.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 28th, 2023, 9:15 am

Top headline today

"Exclusive The photo that ‘clears Prince Andrew’ over bath sex".

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 28th, 2023, 9:35 am

monabri wrote:Top headline today

The mind boggles.

Or maybe not. It's just word soup (alphabetti spaghetti was prophetic). Though that's probably an improvement on outright lies.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » January 28th, 2023, 10:15 am

I can only agree with the replies so far. I have had a subscription to The Telegraph for quite a few years; first in print, then online, but I can't see me sticking with it much longer. The standard of journalism, and even worse, the editing and checking has nosedived in the past few months. Glaring typographical errors and factual inaccuracies are evident every day, and many of the articles, and worse, headlines, are there purely as clickbait.

RIP Telegraph.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 28th, 2023, 10:23 am

monabri wrote:
Top headline today

And if you think the headline's a sad reflection of how far the Telegraph has slumped in recent years, just wait until you see the accompanying photograph in the actual article itself...

https://i.imgur.com/n8hvk0I.png

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » January 28th, 2023, 4:20 pm

My grandfather used to read the Telegraph when it was a sensible centre-right paper, read by the establishment.

Now it’s a comic for fringe Conservatives and right wing headbangers.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » January 28th, 2023, 6:08 pm

I just assumed they had joined the Chatbot revolution.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » January 28th, 2023, 6:18 pm

Bminusrob wrote:I can only agree with the replies so far. I have had a subscription to The Telegraph for quite a few years; first in print, then online, but I can't see me sticking with it much longer. The standard of journalism, and even worse, the editing and checking has nosedived in the past few months. Glaring typographical errors and factual inaccuracies are evident every day, and many of the articles, and worse, headlines, are there purely as clickbait.

RIP Telegraph.

Me too. I got so fed up I cancelled my subscription and ignored the offers that followed. After a couple of months they finally offered me 70%!! So I took the offer.

With all these subscriptions it is probably worth cancelling periodically to see what you get offered.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 28th, 2023, 6:31 pm

Bminusrob wrote:I can only agree with the replies so far. I have had a subscription to The Telegraph for quite a few years; first in print, then online, but I can't see me sticking with it much longer. The standard of journalism, and even worse, the editing and checking has nosedived in the past few months. Glaring typographical errors and factual inaccuracies are evident every day, and many of the articles, and worse, headlines, are there purely as clickbait.

RIP Telegraph.

In February my £29 annual subscription comes to an end. Unless they offer to continue at the same subscription rate then it is goodbye! I agree with all you have said. I would add that the articles often wind me up... maybe I won't bother even at £29.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 28th, 2023, 6:33 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
monabri wrote:Top headline today

And if you think the headline's a sad reflection of how far the Telegraph has slumped in recent years, just wait until you see the accompanying photograph in the actual article itself...

https://i.imgur.com/n8hvk0I.png

So I actually read the article, well at least the front page bit that's appeared on Twitter. It's a photograph taken in 2021, arranged by Ghislaine Maxwell's brother, and given to her legal team in an attempt to discredit the evidence of Virginia Giuffre.

It's supposed to "prove" that her claim that she and Prince Andrew got into the bath together and "he started licking my toes, between my toes, the arches of my feet" couldn't have happened.

So it's entirely false, since it proves nothing of the sort*, and it's nearly 2 years old so not even a current story. Desperation.

* - if someone want's to lick someone else's toes in the bath then they will. It might not be comfortable, but it's far from impossible, whatever the size of the bath.

Scott.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » January 28th, 2023, 9:52 pm

It actually looked quite possible to me.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » January 28th, 2023, 10:42 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:

RIP Telegraph.

Me too. I got so fed up I cancelled my subscription and ignored the offers that followed. After a couple of months they finally offered me 70%!! So I took the offer.

With all these subscriptions it is probably worth cancelling periodically to see what you get offered.

I stopped my daily subscription, and after a while I was offered a "quite good" weekend only subscription, which I had for a couple of years. Then they wanted to up the price of this so it wasn;t worthwhile. I cancelled the subscription, and after a while was offered an online subscription. I was not too impressed with the price, and negotiated it down to £2.99 a month. When this runs out, that will probably be the end.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”