Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Dr Michael Moseley

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Dr Michael Moseley

Postby Clitheroekid » July 9th, 2023, 1:28 pm

I’m beginning to find him extremely irritating. He seems to pop up everywhere. At the moment in between programmes on Radio 4 his silly, perky voice keeps appearing, nagging us either to do something healthy or not to do something unhealthy.

I’ve just opened The Times Weekend section and there’s a two page article by him Instructing us, amongst other fatuous nonsense, to “Stand on one leg while cleaning your teeth to improve balance” and “Turn the tap to cold for 10 seconds at the end of your shower to boost your immune system”.

Whilst I assume all this advice is well-intentioned (and no doubt very lucrative as well) I often think that the stress of worrying about such things probably outweighs any marginal health benefits that they may give.

Interestingly, one measure he hasn’t recommended for good mental health is to have a good, cathartic moan about irritating health experts on Bitter Lemons! ;)

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dr Michael Moseley

Postby Clitheroekid » July 9th, 2023, 1:37 pm

In one section of the aforesaid article, and advocating eating apples, he says “A study at Edith Cowan University in Western Australia followed a group of women over the age of 70 for 15 years, and found that those who ate at least one apple a day were 35% less likely to die over that time than those who didn’t.”

I’ve always thought such statistics are utterly meaningless, and I can’t understand how an educated and intelligent doctor can trot them out as though they actually mean something.

By definition, the type of women who make a point of eating an apple every day are going to be very conscious about their health anyway, and will therefore almost certainly live a more healthy lifestyle than people who don’t eat an apple every day.

But it’s that healthy lifestyle that increases their life expectancy, not eating the damn apple!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 9th, 2023, 1:47 pm

Hah, just as I read your post CK, my wife is reading a MM article. I won't go into what she's saying but it's not very complementary!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 9th, 2023, 1:49 pm

Big fat rec for that!

I too have found him intensely irritating since day one. Not just his bouncy, fake, patronising vocal delivery style but all the unsupported assertions he makes, typically in the format "A study has shown that wearing a hat in bed improves your quality of sleep" (a made up example) so now we must all wear a hat in bed. Or stand on one leg in the bathroom as in your example. Not only does his programme usually fail to cite the actual study, but it also usually fails to quantify the promised "improvement". I find myself shouting at the radio but oddly, I still sometimes listen to his unsubstantiated ol' tripe just in case he ever says anything useful.

Or, maybe I actually LIKE shouting at the radio...

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 9th, 2023, 1:52 pm

Mike4 wrote:Big fat rec for that!

I too have found him intensely irritating since day one. Not just his bouncy, fake, patronising vocal delivery style but all the unsupported assertions he makes, typically in the format "A study has shown that wearing a hat in bed improves your quality of sleep" (a made up example) so now we must all wear a hat in bed. Or stand on one leg in the bathroom as in your example. Not only does his programme usually fail to cite the actual study, but it also usually fails to quantify the promised "improvement". I find myself shouting at the radio but oddly, I still sometimes listen to his unsubstantiated ol' tripe just in case he ever says anything useful.

Or, maybe I actually LIKE shouting at the radio...

Studies have shown that people who shout at radios... :)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 9th, 2023, 2:14 pm

Not very comfortable in bed if you ask me but I'm not Welsh

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Funny-Party-Ha ... B01CIOTNI0

maybe i'd sleep better with this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HEADPIECE-FOOT ... C71&sr=1-3

What do you think Dr M?

edit: silly me, one for our Northern Lemons

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SCOTTISH-SUPPO ... C72&sr=1-5

This one is for 'idpickering', our (soon to be) Norwegian Lemon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LOOYAR-Medieva ... C74&sr=8-5

Pendrainllwyn
Lemon Slice

Postby Pendrainllwyn » July 9th, 2023, 3:18 pm

Never heard of him. But oh dear, from time to time I stand on one leg (with knee bent - it's harder that way) when waiting (for a train, a lift etc) to improve my balance and often finish my shower with a cold spell (highly recommended in hot and humid climates). :oops: Please don't ask about my mental health ;).

Pendrainllwyn

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 9th, 2023, 3:36 pm

I can confirm that turning the shower to cold certainly gets me moving more quickly.

VRD

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 9th, 2023, 4:33 pm

The only Moseley I heard of was a fascist.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 9th, 2023, 5:15 pm

Funnily enough, just after reading this I heard a trailer for another of radio's ubiquitous and annoying voices, Matthew Syed.

Which prompted me to think of some more voices we hear far too much. A few candidates that spring to mind are Adam Rutherford, Carys Matthews, Lauren Laverne. Go back a few years and one might very well add more.

Appearing in trailers adds hugely to the annoyance when the voices themselves are distinctive, like Syed, Matthews, or indeed Moseley.

These are names I hear but have never seen written, so I've almost certainly misheard and/or misspelled at least some of them.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 9th, 2023, 9:03 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Funnily enough, just after reading this I heard a trailer for another of radio's ubiquitous and annoying voices, Matthew Syed.

Which prompted me to think of some more voices we hear far too much. A few candidates that spring to mind are Adam Rutherford, Carys Matthews, Lauren Laverne. Go back a few years and one might very well add more.

Appearing in trailers adds hugely to the annoyance when the voices themselves are distinctive, like Syed, Matthews, or indeed Moseley.

These are names I hear but have never seen written, so I've almost certainly misheard and/or misspelled at least some of them.
\

Just to comment on Cerys Matthews I think you are being a little unfair.

For those of us interested in why and how music works 'under the bonnet', her R4 programme "Add to Playlist" picks an aspect of music, pulls it to bits and explains in detail what on earth is going on. A fascinating and original programme I love to bits.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00106 ... des/player

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 10th, 2023, 2:24 am

Mike4 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Funnily enough, just after reading this I heard a trailer for another of radio's ubiquitous and annoying voices, Matthew Syed.

\

For those of us interested in why and how music works 'under the bonnet', her R4 programme "Add to Playlist" picks an aspect of music, pulls it to bits and explains in detail what on earth is going on. A fascinating and original programme I love to bits.

Hadn't heard of this before - on Episode 2 now
I think it's really good

-sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 10th, 2023, 2:27 am

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:\

Hadn't heard of this before - on Episode 2 now
I think it's really good

-sd

If you like this try https://songexploder.net/ (podcast and netflix show)

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 10th, 2023, 1:12 pm

I think he's good. He tries out new ideas on himself and reports back. Most doctors aren't prepared to think outside the box and are basically glorified pill pushers (to the delight of the pharmaceutical industry).

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » July 10th, 2023, 1:34 pm

MrFoolish wrote:I think he's good. He tries out new ideas on himself and reports back. Most doctors aren't prepared to think outside the box and are basically glorified pill pushers (to the delight of the pharmaceutical industry).

It was him that put me on to the 5:2 diet (2010?) - and I still fast ocassionally to this day. So he's alright imho

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 11th, 2023, 7:02 am

On a similar note I find it really annoying when the BBC takes an already well known and overused presenter and uses them for completely unrelated stuff. Clare Balding seems to pop up everywhere, Fiona Bruce too and I see Clive Myrie is inviting us to travel around Italy with him!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 11th, 2023, 7:32 am

I do not listen to much radio but the Matthew Syed column in The Times actually usually makes a lot of sense.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 11th, 2023, 10:03 am

Dod101 wrote:

I do not listen to much radio but the Matthew Syed column in The Times actually usually makes a lot of sense.

Dod

Oh, sure, he talks a fair amount of sense. Sometimes I enjoy his programmes, and in moderation he'd be OK. But he's very full of himself, and I find him annoying. The incessant trails certainly feed that annoyance!

And to be honest, I quite like listening to Moseley's programme too - in moderation. Though not the trails!

Return to “Bitter Lemons”