Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

EVRI

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: EVRI

Postby tjh290633 » October 14th, 2023, 10:05 pm

Mike4 wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:
Indeed. Call me nostalgic, but sometimes it's rather reassuring to know that the old familiar companies can still provide the legendary standards of service that you've long been accustomed to. ;) https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.myhermes.com

BJ

Something strange going on here. In your link the 5 star reviews amount to just 4% of all the reviews left. But the Evri page on TP says 78% of reviews are 5 star.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.evri.com

Doesn't ring true does it?

I just had a package delivered by Evri. At the first attempt the driver could not locate our house. I used their chat facility to explain that the idiot could not be bothered to look around to find out house next door to where he went and gave explicit directions. Thus instructed the package was delivered the next day.

I had an email asking me to rate their service, which I did. 2 stars. I also explained why. I might add that the package took 6 days to clear customs at Heathrow. Presumably the carrier has some influence on this process.

TJH

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 14th, 2023, 10:18 pm

I spent much of today on the train, and passed a big shed - presumably warehouse - bearing the logo Evri. Don't think I'd've noticed the name if I hadn't read it here!

Took delivery of a parcel last week. DPD was a refreshing change from some of their rivals. He took the trouble to ring the doorbell, and brought the parcel to the door.

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » October 15th, 2023, 12:37 am

I must be lucky with my local EVRI hub! Bob is my usual delivery man. I get an email early and he always arrives within the emailed time slot. He rings my door bell and hands me my package. Last week I had a return, again he was on time to pick up my parcel. A nice, friendly chap - the only courier I bother to rate!!

Just saying...... even EVRI get some things right :).

Tricia

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 15th, 2023, 10:29 am

6Tricia wrote:I must be lucky with my local EVRI hub! Bob is my usual delivery man.

It seems to depend almost completely on one's local courier. Ours used to be very good, then she retired and her replacement was a lazy twant. Now there is yet another chap who seems to be somewhere in between.
There appears to be little or no central control over the quality of service.

V8

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » October 15th, 2023, 12:55 pm

Of the 3 Evri couriers who deliver to us 2 routinely ring the doorbell and wait until we answer the door to hand us the package. The third lobs the package towards the doorstep from halfway up the path and cares not whether we are at home or not - several times parcels have lain out overnight in all weathers. Evri don’t seem to react to any negative reviewing.

rabbit
Lemon Pip

Postby rabbit » October 15th, 2023, 4:26 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I spent much of today on the train, and passed a big shed - presumably warehouse - bearing the logo Evri. Don't think I'd've noticed the name if I hadn't read it here!

Took delivery of a parcel last week. DPD was a refreshing change from some of their rivals. He took the trouble to ring the doorbell, and brought the parcel to the door.

It's all down to the local drivers. In general I've had good service from DPD, but I've had some of my worst (non-)delivery experiences with them too. I don't have many deliveries from Evri, but I did get one yesterday evening - it came slightly later than expected although they did email me to say it would be late. And it was delivered to the door (at my obscure rural cottage down a narrow, rough private track) by a very polite and friendly young lady who, when I asked, said she had no problem at all finding us. Indeed, she merited a 5 star review!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 24th, 2023, 8:31 am

stevensfo wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Yesterday afternoon I received a parcel delivered by Evri. (A fairly rare event for me, happens maybe twice a year.) At 4 am this morning I got a text message from somebody's mobile telling me: "Your delivery couldn't be completed. To reschedule, kindly visit evri-XXXXXXX.com. We regret the inconvenience".

There are masses of scam warnings about (fake) Evri failed delivery messages, which often involve an attempt to extract a £1.45 redelivery charge. (Which the official Evri says it doesn't do, or at least not in this way.) The scammers' aim, apparently, is to get your bank account details. You can guess the rest. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/evri ... 97658.html.

But what a coincidence that I should have received this text message within hours of a genuine delivery. :) Far be it from me to suggest that Evri's systems might be porous, but....

....... it wouldn't be the first time. About twenty years ago, one of the major UK banks (mine! :( ) had to close its call staff centre in India, after a disaffected minority of the lowly-paid locals took to making highly profitable scam calls to the UK, allegedly using the confidential contact data on their in-house screens. I should know, I received one myself.

Take care out there!

BJ

This is really weird. I have never heard of Evri.

A few days ago, I ordered a prescription ointment from Superdrug to be picked up from the store.

Then I received a series of conflicting emails. Some from Superdrug to say that I could pick up the items tomorrow.

Others from Evri to say that they were delivering, and then had delivered the product.

It was not delivered and tomorrow I will pick it up from Superdrug.

If it's a scam, then they really should try harder! 8-)

Steve

Just a quick update. I had never heard of Evri until I ordered something from Superdrug.
When I picked up the item from the store, I warned them that I'd been receiving these these false emails.

The emails stopped. But two weeks later:

no-reply@barnstormers.com
EVRI
No one was home
1VP8-EYTU8J-YCP6-721761-PfENi
We tried on: Saturday 21st October 2023
Delivery type: 3-5 Working Days
Our delivery driver, Frankie Prosser, was unable to deliver your parcel as you were not present at the designated location.
Due to no sight of a secure location for parcel delivery, we kindly request you to reschedule a new delivery date for your parcel through the portal provided below.
1VP8-EYTU8J-YCP6-721761-PfENiProceed to Portal
1VP8-EYTU8J-YCP6-721761-PfENi This is an auto-generated email, do not reply

I do hope that this Mr Prosser has an umbrella. Whatever the parcel is, he can keep it. ;)

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 24th, 2023, 8:41 am

stevensfo wrote:no-reply@barnstormers.com

I do hope that this Mr Prosser has an umbrella. Whatever the parcel is, he can keep it. ;)

I hope he has a parachute. Or maybe a drone. Barnstormers is a buying/selling website for light aircraft. :D

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 24th, 2023, 9:10 am

bungeejumper wrote:
stevensfo wrote:no-reply@barnstormers.com

I hope he has a parachute. Or maybe a drone. Barnstormers is a buying/selling website for light aircraft. :D

BJ

I think it was the new book: '101 fun ways to annoy passengers' by Michael O'Leary. ;)

All I know is that when I hovered the mouse over the address, the real address in the lower left corner was definitely nothing to do with Barnstormers.

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 24th, 2023, 9:19 am

stevensfo wrote: All I know is that when I hovered the mouse over the address, the real address in the lower left corner was definitely nothing to do with Barnstormers.

Nice work. I was already onto the fact that your delivery driver was called Frankie, which ain't exactly in the usual run of UK names. He might as well have been called Cy, or Wilbur, or Ethan or Bo. :D

BJ

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 24th, 2023, 9:21 am

monabri wrote:
They really are not very good at customer service....the name has changed but they're still crap!

I was amazed to find that M and S sent us something using EVRI. For goodness sake, there's enough bad experience floating round about this company that I'm confounded that M and S use them.

However, I had a delivery on Saturday. A picture showed it on our doorstep, but the large cardboard box was nowhere to be seen.

Next day, our neighbour delivered it to us. It turns out that the driver dumped it on our doorstep, did NOT ring the bell and drove off - despite the fact that it had been raining heavily and rain was still arriving imminently. Our neighbour saw it and took it in for fear of it being ruined.

And all note that my wife was sitting in the house at the time and would certainly have heard our very loud doorbell if the driver had bothered to use it.

What he did was massively unprofessional. Left a large parcel at a street door in full view of passing traffic in rising bad weather, didn't try to see if we were there and didn't think of leaving at a neighbours if he thought we were out.

Dreadful service.

Arb.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 24th, 2023, 11:12 am

Arborbridge wrote:
monabri wrote:They really are not very good at customer service....the name has changed but they're still crap!

Dreadful service.

So write to M&S and complain, given you've no way to complain to Evri.

I bought a screwdriver two weeks ago. Ebay. Sent via Evri, my bad, I forgot to check which courier the retailer used.
After more than a week I had a message from Evri saying the parcel had been irretrievably damaged in transit and I should ask the seller to send another.
Why it couldn't just be put in another container....

I tell the seller, suggest that they should not be using Evri, the UK's crappiest courier.
And today, just two days later, another one arrives, via DHL.

If you contact your sellers before ordering, you can usually head off Evri, the UK's crappiest courier.

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 24th, 2023, 12:28 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
stevensfo wrote: All I know is that when I hovered the mouse over the address, the real address in the lower left corner was definitely nothing to do with Barnstormers.

Nice work. I was already onto the fact that your delivery driver was called Frankie, which ain't exactly in the usual run of UK names. He might as well have been called Cy, or Wilbur, or Ethan or Bo. :D

BJ

Surely it's a pretty plausible "known-as" name for (say) a Frank, Francis, Frances or Francesca?

You wouldn't treat "Chris" or "Alex" as suspicious just because they're contractions of common names? Rather your suspicion would be aroused by the context!

[edit to add] I'm reminded of a book that was doing the rounds in my student days:

Anthony Wedgewood-Benn - quiche-eater
Tony Benn - real man.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 24th, 2023, 12:47 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:I was already onto the fact that your delivery driver was called Frankie, which ain't exactly in the usual run of UK names. He might as well have been called Cy, or Wilbur, or Ethan or Bo. :D

Surely it's a pretty plausible "known-as" name for (say) a Frank, Francis, Frances or Francesca?

Plausible, yes of course, but is it likely? In Britain, not really, unless your driver had been on first-name terms with the Krays.

And no, it's not suspicious - there are very few names that are! Doesn't mean that it didn't get my antennae twitching, though. Probably correctly, in this case, since "Frankie" was spoofing somebody's web identity.

BJ

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 26th, 2023, 1:22 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
What he did was massively unprofessional. Left a large parcel at a street door in full view of passing traffic in rising bad weather, didn't try to see if we were there and didn't think of leaving at a neighbours if he thought we were out.

Dreadful service.

Arb.

agree with allk of that. Tempered 9though not excusing etc) by the fact these couriers get about 50p a parcel delivered, and any non deliveries have to then be stored AT THE COURIERS OWN PREMISES/VEHICLE (and i doubt their domestic home nsurance covers them) and any returns to the central copmpany results in no payment.

That was certainly the case for a y son a few years ago when they were Hermes. He had been out of work for 18 months and bit this bullet., It was terrible. Some days he earned less than £5 which barely covered his fuel let alone the several hours he had spent trying to deliver parcels unsuccessfully. Those couriers were by contract "self employed" - a total con of course and even AIUI basically illegal at the time even then, but its
a casde of who is going to take Hermes to court and how with limited/no income.

Eventually his car died and he had to summarily quit. I was actually secretly pleased. He was in tears - now no income at all, couldn't claim benefits (that's another terrible story of how systems don't work), no transport and no money to fix said transport.

I would hope conditions have improved under Evri. But I wouldnt hold my breath that they have.

TL;DR - the unprofessional approach may be down to the appalling pay and conditions the poor bugg3r of a courier is under. We can all say "get a different job" - well, all id say to that is "if only it were that easy"

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 26th, 2023, 1:58 pm

Mike4 wrote:Evri have been around for years as "Hermes".

I imagined the dire reputation of Hermes was the reason for the name change. Unfortunately it is only the name that changed!

Perhaps they figured being referred to as "Nevri" was preferable to "Herpes".

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 26th, 2023, 2:59 pm

didds wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:What he did was massively unprofessional. Left a large parcel at a street door in full view of passing traffic in rising bad weather, didn't try to see if we were there and didn't think of leaving at a neighbours if he thought we were out.

Agree with all of that. Tempered though not excusing etc) by the fact these couriers get about 50p a parcel delivered...

Yes, and if they're new on the patch and if like us their addressee lives in a lane, part of a half mile postcode, with houses that have name but no number.... you can almost hear the couriers tearing their hair. Especially when it gets dark.

We do at least try to help by annotating our interweb delivery address, so it reads Hairtear Lane, 400 yds up on right.

V8

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » October 26th, 2023, 5:36 pm

88V8 wrote:
didds wrote:Agree with all of that. Tempered though not excusing etc) by the fact these couriers get about 50p a parcel delivered...

Yes, and if they're new on the patch and if like us their addressee lives in a lane, part of a half mile postcode, with houses that have name but no number.... you can almost hear the couriers tearing their hair. Especially when it gets dark.

We do at least try to help by annotating our interweb delivery address, so it reads Hairtear Lane, 400 yds up on right.

V8

Apparently you can add your what3words location to your Evri address so they have no excuse for not being able to find you (https://www.evri.com/press/hermes-can-n ... what3words) - since 2020 it seems! Yodel do that too I understand

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 27th, 2023, 4:52 pm

88V8 wrote:
didds wrote:Agree with all of that. Tempered though not excusing etc) by the fact these couriers get about 50p a parcel delivered...

V8

That's crazy! My grandparents always gave their houses a name, but they also had a number. Is it really so difficult to number a row of houses?

Spare thought for the poor s*ds who have to deliver in rain, hail, snow, meteorite showers, etc etc. ;)

People who do things like that probably have one of those awful front doors (which should be banned IMHO) with the letterbox right down at the bottom.

What next? Design a maze so that the postman has to find the front door, then return?

Steve

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 27th, 2023, 5:17 pm

stevensfo wrote:
88V8 wrote:Yes, and if they're new on the patch and if like us their addressee lives in a lane, part of a half mile postcode, with houses that have name but no number.... you can almost hear the couriers tearing their hair. Especially when it gets dark.

That's crazy! My grandparents always gave their houses a name, but they also had a number. Is it really so difficult to number a row of houses?

Out in the sticks, routinely name, no number.
And the name often not that prominent, and never lit up at night.

Mind you, couriers have it cushy now, no flapping creased maps to read, heated cabs, paved roads. And the mud not more than a few inches deep.

V8

Return to “Bitter Lemons”