Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Ain't Technology Wonderful

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Ain't Technology Wonderful

Postby WickedLester » May 6th, 2024, 2:39 pm

Why is it when I pay for something on eBay the money comes straight out of my account, but when I sell something it takes 5 days for the money to land in my account?

And when I buy something in Argos that never worked the money comes straight out of my account but the refund takes 5 days?

I'm sure one day the boffins will work it out. ;)

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Re: Ain't Technology Wonderful

Postby malkymoo » May 6th, 2024, 4:50 pm

Have you actually sold anything on eBay recently?

I have sold quite a few items in the last few months. The cash always arrives in my account the morning after the buyer has paid.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » May 6th, 2024, 4:52 pm

malkymoo wrote:Have you actually sold anything on eBay recently?

I have sold quite a few items in the last few months. The cash always arrives in my account the morning after the buyer has paid.

Maybe Lester needs to change the payout frequency in his eBay settings...

Watis

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 6th, 2024, 5:31 pm

If I buy online, I pay by creditcard. So it's at least a month before I actually have to pay, and closer to two months if the purchase is early in my statement period.

I've had so few refunds in my life I can't recollect how long they took. Last one was this occasion.

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » May 6th, 2024, 5:41 pm

I have stopped selling on ebay. Since I changed address they want a photo of my driving licence and passport before they will pay anything due to me. That's not going to happen.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 6th, 2024, 6:54 pm

WickedLester wrote:Why is it when I pay for something on eBay the money comes straight out of my account, but when I sell something it takes 5 days for the money to land in my account?

And when I buy something in Argos that never worked the money comes straight out of my account but the refund takes 5 days?

I'm sure you can work it out for yourself if you think about it briefly, and it's nothing to do with technology!

Actually I think you already have... ;)

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 7th, 2024, 6:48 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:If I buy online, I pay by creditcard. So it's at least a month before I actually have to pay, and closer to two months if the purchase is early in my statement period.

I've had so few refunds in my life I can't recollect how long they took. Last one was this occasion.

That's funny. When I buy online I also pay by credit card. But I pay the supplier immediately. They receive my funds when the card transaction is approved.

I then have entered into a credit transaction with my credit card company to whom I owe money from that moment. They do give me about up to six weeks to repay the loan without any interest charge but I'm not obliged to repay them in that time, I can take as long as I like in most circumstances as long as I keep up the interest payments.

The upshot is using my card I've paid for my goods or services immediately and have a debt hanging over me until that is also paid, so I'm actually payig two parties, not one (albeit the same total amount).

GS

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 7th, 2024, 7:08 am

Mike4 wrote:
WickedLester wrote:Why is it when I pay for something on eBay the money comes straight out of my account, but when I sell something it takes 5 days for the money to land in my account?

I'm sure you can work it out for yourself if you think about it briefly, and it's nothing to do with technology!

I used to do some work for Decca decades ago. Chasing them for money -and as a small company we were worried about cash flow from one of our biggest customers that quarter - the finance guy admitted they had two different departments and sets of rules for paying out cash and pulling cash in. One had the job of holding on to cash for as long as possible - the other, to get it in as quickly as possible.

Arb.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » May 7th, 2024, 7:31 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

I used to do some work for Decca decades ago. Chasing them for money -and as a small company we were worried about cash flow from one of our biggest customers that quarter - the finance guy admitted they had two different departments and sets of rules for paying out cash and pulling cash in. One had the job of holding on to cash for as long as possible - the other, to get it in as quickly as possible.

Arb.

You mean credit control and accounts payable. Every business has them.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 7th, 2024, 8:01 am

WickedLester wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Arb.

Indeed, but I was quite young and naive and held high notions of "fairness" - I voted Labour!

Arb.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » May 7th, 2024, 8:15 am

Arborbridge wrote:
WickedLester wrote:

Indeed, but I was quite young and naive and held high notions of "fairness" - I voted Labour!

Arb.

Isn't there an old saying about multi culturalism, taxes and death? I'm not sure I got the order right though.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 7th, 2024, 8:38 am

GoSeigen wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:If I buy online, I pay by creditcard. So it's at least a month before I actually have to pay, and closer to two months if the purchase is early in my statement period.

That's funny. When I buy online I also pay by credit card. But I pay the supplier immediately. They receive my funds when the card transaction is approved.

Usually not so immediately. E.g. for Worldpay it's "funds are remitted to your bank account the following business day after you take a card transaction" and for Barclaycard it's "the money is usually in your account within 3-5 working days."

https://www.worldpay.com/en-gb/worldpay-smb
https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/business/accepting-payments/learn-about-taking-payments/taking-card-payments-beginners-guide

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 7th, 2024, 10:35 am

mc2fool wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:That's funny. When I buy online I also pay by credit card. But I pay the supplier immediately. They receive my funds when the card transaction is approved.

Usually not so immediately. E.g. for Worldpay it's "funds are remitted to your bank account the following business day after you take a card transaction" and for Barclaycard it's "the money is usually in your account within 3-5 working days."

https://www.worldpay.com/en-gb/worldpay-smb
https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/business/accepting-payments/learn-about-taking-payments/taking-card-payments-beginners-guide

I think credit card companies hang onto the money for q few days before handing it over to the retailer so they have a small degree of protection against Section 76 (is it?) claims for faulty goods, in case the retailer goes bankrupt.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”