Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Bunkum or brilliance?

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Bunkum or brilliance?

Postby NomoneyNohoney » September 10th, 2020, 11:33 pm

This video seems fascinating, but I have an underlying feeling there's something important that's being overlooked.
Get your tea or coffee, settle down, and prepare for 13 minutes of head scratching.
See what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHiad18ZwcY

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Bunkum or brilliance?

Postby Dod101 » September 11th, 2020, 7:09 am

The narrator has a most unfortunate voice I must say. There may or may not be anything in it but I have a friend who has written a book (one of many!) proving that Shakespeare did not write the plays attributed to him, all based on various codes on obscure stones etc.

I do not know and really do not care!

Dod

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » September 11th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Well I found it fun.

IMHO it's pure bunkum.
It's possible that the knowledge existed to create such a page back then, but to what end?

Then again the voice over doesn't do himself any favours. There is strong evidence that Eulor's constant was known before he was born. There is certainly documentary evidence that Pythagorus's one was known long before he was born.

Then again, possibly Shakespeare was just a front for a little green man (rather than a member of the nobility).

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 11th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Or even Euler's constant, pedant that I am.

Dod

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » September 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm

There is a case to believe that the Theorem of Pythagoras and trigonometry was known to the designers and builders of Stonehenge ,as weird as it may seem .

Consider a circle with a radius AB of 48.72 ft then from B , a tangent to point Z at 36.54 ft . Calculate the ratio of BZ:AB:AZ .

At point B , a vertical to point L so that BL = 16.24 ft , making a triangle BZL giving Tan Z = 0.4444... , the value of the Angle of Obliquity twice in the Third Millennium B.C.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 11th, 2020, 6:03 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:This video seems fascinating, but I have an underlying feeling there's something important that's being overlooked.

Sadly, I feel what is being overlooked is that far too few things are being overlooked!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 11th, 2020, 6:12 pm

marronier wrote:There is a case to believe that the Theorem of Pythagoras and trigonometry was known to the designers and builders of Stonehenge ,as weird as it may seem .

Consider a circle with a radius AB of 48.72 ft then from B , a tangent to point Z at 36.54 ft . Calculate the ratio of BZ:AB:AZ .

At point B , a vertical to point L so that BL = 16.24 ft , making a triangle BZL giving Tan Z = 0.4444... , the value of the Angle of Obliquity twice in the Third Millennium B.C.

Umm... IMO, what is wrong with this kind of thing is... this kind of thing.

It reminds me how, years ago now, an Israeli academic (genuine mathematician or statistician) 'found' all kinds of 'hidden messages' encoded in the text of the bible. If you try hard enough you can likely find anything at all in measurements of Stonehenge. Perhaps Hubble's constant - rate of expansion of the universe, or Plank's constant - fundamental constant of quantum mechanics? It would be just a matter of trying hard enough.

Isn't this simply the ever popular pastime of Numerology?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerology

That's not to say that "the Theorem of Pythagoras" was not, in some sense, known at the time of Stonehenge. e.g. If you walk in a straight line 3n steps, do a quarter turn and walk 4n steps in a straight line, then, on a level surface, it will always take 5n steps to join the ends of the straight lines. Pythagoras - in a sense.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » September 11th, 2020, 6:42 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:This video seems fascinating, but I have an underlying feeling there's something important that's being overlooked.
Get your tea or coffee, settle down, and prepare for 13 minutes of head scratching.
See what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHiad18ZwcY

Scratch your head no more. Scroll down to James's comment below the video for a lucid explanation. Nice application to investing though: a great example of cherry-picking. Or TA.

GS

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » September 11th, 2020, 7:08 pm

XFool wrote:[ If you try hard enough you can likely find anything at all in measurements of Stonehenge.

That's why I was careful in my statements. You CAN find Eulor's "constant" in the pyramids. But did they design it there, knowing what it was? However there are ancient tablets showing trig stuff dating back to the Babilonians. You know, those people responsible for 360 degree's in a circle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylonian_mathematics

It's also why I regard the video as bunkum! As you say, look hard enough and you can find that the Stockmarket follows Womens fashions.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/sk ... theory.asp

Or that Margarine is dangerous for marriage.
https://blogs.ams.org/blogonmathblogs/2 ... margarine/

Here is what I think is a great youtube wind-up about Army rations. First time I watched it I was quite taken in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ry4QBQejFU&t=2s

Again, pure bunkum.

Is anyone certain that the original statement that is an early publication of the sonnets is correct?
OH, just read GoSeigan's post! Yes I should have read the youtube comments.

PS, returning to Shakespeare, anyone know why Romeo and Juliet wound up dead? Well the letter didn't arrive. Why? Well the person carrying it was in quarantine. In that time it was 40 day's (hence the word) and to prevent the spread of the plague. I understand that Shakespeare had relatives who died of it.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 11th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:PS, returning to Shakespeare, anyone know why Romeo and Juliet wound up dead? Well the letter didn't arrive. Why? Well the person carrying it was in quarantine. In that time it was 40 day's (hence the word) and to prevent the spread of the plague. I understand that Shakespeare had relatives who died of it.

Test-and-trace is older than we're being told!

Return to “Curiosity Corner”