Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Masquerade

XFool
The full Lemon

Masquerade

Postby XFool » April 6th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Fascinating. I remember this, but was surprised it had its origins in 1979. If asked now I would have said it was all in the 1980s. But I guess it spilled over into the early eighties.

Masquerade: How a real-life treasure hunt obsessed a nation

BBC News

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Masquerade

Postby didds » April 7th, 2019, 2:07 pm

I recall the low key fuss over it... I also seem to recall it was found by almost accident with the winner ending up somewhere for whatever reasons and then while there realising lots of stuff fell into place.

I also recall reading an explanation of the clues etc and thinking that they were frankly pretty vague and unspecific and how on earth anyone would actually solve it from clues alone .etc . I recall being pretty underewhelmed by the eventual "answers" after all the initial excitement etc.

didds

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » April 7th, 2019, 4:26 pm

In Bourton-on-the-Water, Glos. there is a small maze called the Dragonfly Maze (next to Birdland). It is owned and run by my other half's family. The maze and the clues you solve whilst wandering around were designed jointly by a family member (similarly creative) and Kit Williams and the final surprise at the end was designed by Kit.

As a family we've 'done' the maze a few times and it's a good way of spending an hour or so.

Normally there would be a 'no connection' disclaimer at this point. Clearly there is a connection here, but I don't get anything for saying the above and we don't even get a discount on the entry fee....

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » April 7th, 2019, 6:29 pm

The wishing fish clocking Cheltenham was also designed by Kit Williams, https://www.visitcheltenham.com/things- ... ck-p395923

Worth popping into Regent Arcade to see it if you are in Cheltenham

Return to “Curiosity Corner”