Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

It's ballet, but not as we know it Jim

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

It's ballet, but not as we know it Jim

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 15th, 2020, 2:41 am

Some of you may have discerned over the years, my affinity and love for the country of Georgia.
I first worked there many years ago, and one of the joys of my job, was working in an office, in a building which also housed the Georgian National Ballet,

My office was the other side of the short end wall in the following video, so all day the music lifted my spirits, as the dancers practiced their routines. Perhaps the beauty of the girls was a factor as well. Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy this window onto a dance practice room in Tbilisi.
As an aside, when the girls start dancing, they're obviously in their comfy casual clothes. For stage dances, they dress in long dresses reaching the floor, and they move around like Daleks, as if they have wheels underneath!

Sound is essential for the full experience!

This is the dance practice video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9176AdLFk

If I can find a short video, I'll add that as well, so you can see the finished product.
Yes, see here for a quick look at what the final dances look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h64VT8sbJVw

If anyone has had their appetite whetted, then there's over an hour's worth of a full concert here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr3adcXjv9M
The first five or six minutes amply demonstrate the Dalek Dance! As a further aside, at weddings many Georgian girls dance the same dances, and the young men try their dances out too. When you get a couple who just flow together, it's a wonderful sight, really beautiful to see.

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: It's ballet, but not as we know it Jim

Postby XFool » December 15th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Actual sparks! :o

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 15th, 2020, 6:41 pm

XFool wrote:Actual sparks! :o

I believe the swords get coated with a liquid chemical solution, which dries and then gives off sparks when struck.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 16th, 2020, 6:57 am

NomoneyNohoney wrote:... The first five or six minutes amply demonstrate the Dalek Dance!

Not all Daleks can dance as well as that!

PD

Return to “Curiosity Corner”