Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Beverley East Yorkshire - Traffic Lights

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Beverley East Yorkshire - Traffic Lights

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 5th, 2021, 8:52 pm

Five Ways Roundabout was updated a few years ago.

The new junction appeared in newspapers as far away as Germany.

Source: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08 ... 215873.jpg

Legend has it that there are 42 traffic lights there. I wonder if it would win an award for the highest density of traffic lights in the UK or possibly the world, unless of course you know better.

There are many reasons I could give you to visit Beverley. Dependant upon your sense of humour you could possibly add this technical wonder to that list

AiY

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Beverley East Yorkshire - Traffic Lights

Postby Lootman » May 5th, 2021, 9:03 pm

The idea of combining traffic lights with roundabouts is a peculiarly British one. Most countries see them as alternatives.

Then again we Brits invented gyratory systems. If you want to confuse an American, put them behind the wheel of your car and get them to navigate Hangar Lane. Or the Magic Roundabout in Swindon although I confess I have not actually been there.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 6th, 2021, 12:17 am

Lootman wrote:....If you want to confuse an American, put them behind the wheel of your car and get them to navigate Hangar Lane. Or the Magic Roundabout in Swindon although I confess I have not actually been there.

Here's one American's appreciative appraisal of the Magic Roundabout.

WIRED wrote:Your first thought upon seeing Swindon's 'magic roundabout' might be: man, the Brits have really lost the plot lately. But this thing—which is actually seven roundabouts in one—has been working for 60 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGvj7GZSIo

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 8th, 2021, 6:07 pm

Not forgetting the seven giddying vortices at Treacle Bumstead, my old stamping ground, which have been doing the job since 1973.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVeAhmvNFIU

The ambulance at 45 seconds is a particularly nice touch. You can see everyone thinking "sheet, there are no rules to this place at the best of times, and now this guy needs priority for whatever it is he wants to do, although there's no way of guessing in advance what that is? Better stand on the brakes until he's finished. Then we'll be back to just normal chaos." :o

BJ

Return to “Curiosity Corner”