Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Ancient maps

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Ancient maps

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 23rd, 2023, 1:56 pm

https://www.ancient-code.com/rare-ancie ... the-earth/

"Countless maps suggest that before written history, ancient explorers had an extremely well-developed cartography system comparable in precision to the one we have today proving that ancient mankind knew the exact shape and size of the Earth, contrary to popular beliefs, and used spherical trigonometry, precise and elaborate mathematical calculations, as if thousands of years ago an unknown civilization undertook a global-scale project of mapping the entire planet like no one has ever done before."

I'm a bit hesitant to quote this link as I have huge skepticism about flying saucer type guff, but it's a bit interesting nonetheless. If anyone has links to debunking of this I'd love to know.

Just talking about one item from the list, it mentions that the Iehudi Ibn ben Zara map shows remnants of glaciers in Britain and detailed profiles of islands in the Mediterranean and Aegean Seas. Islands still there—but now under water. I asked Amazon's Alexa, who informs me that the last glaciers in Britain date back 11,500 years, for what that's worth.

15 million years ago, Antartica was mainly ice, so based on just those two items, we're looking at perhaps 15 million years+ that the information was recorded by some entity. If that's the case, how did the information get fed to medieval cartographers, and the original source material be forgotten? I'm not convinced :)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Ancient maps

Postby mc2fool » January 23rd, 2023, 2:24 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Just talking about one item from the list, it mentions that the Iehudi Ibn ben Zara map shows remnants of glaciers in Britain...

Looks like holes in the map to me: https://www.facsimilefinder.com/facsimiles/sea-map-of-iehuda-ben-zara-facsimile#&gid=1&pid=8 ;)

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 24th, 2023, 7:46 pm

Me too! Glad I was sceptical ...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 25th, 2023, 10:02 am

Unquestionably, the maps will have been drawn by the all-knowing lizard people from 7,000 years ago. Who looked just like the way that today's science fiction writers envision lizard aliens. Coincidence? I don't think so. :)

From the same learned source: https://www.ancient-code.com/7000-year- ... sopotamia/ Y'know, I've always wondered who buried that London bus at the South Pole, or who landed the World War II bomber on the moon. It's good to have a reasoned explanation after all these years.

BJ

Return to “Curiosity Corner”