Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

A university's Paternoster lift has become a surprise hit online

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: A university's Paternoster lift has become a surprise hit online

Postby stewamax » March 31st, 2023, 9:55 am

Urbandreamer wrote:Sadly the reason for the nickname "Paternoster" may not be recognized by many/most people today.
"PATER noster, qui es in cœlis;"
Or the Latin first words of a prayer.
I.E pray before you use this thing as it may be your last chance to do so.

Half-right. The slow action of a paternoster resembles the use of rosary beads - one bead slowly follows another as one prayer succeeds another or the penances imposed by the father confessor are undertaken: "Five Paternosters and ten Ave Marias, my child"

The one phrase from the Confiteor (the confession during Mass) that has passed into common use and would be recognised by people today is mea culpa (my fault) - accompanied by mild breast-beating.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 31st, 2023, 3:26 pm

There was one at Birmingham University library when I was there 1974-77. I went over and under many times just for the hell of it. Apparently five people died in them in the Uk between 1970 and the 80s

John

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 31st, 2023, 3:33 pm

redsturgeon wrote:There was one at Birmingham University library when I was there 1974-77.

So what was I doing in Birmingham University Library (with my dad)? I will never know... :?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 31st, 2023, 5:12 pm

XFool wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:There was one at Birmingham University library when I was there 1974-77.

So what was I doing in Birmingham University Library (with my dad)? I will never know... :?

Actually there were two on the campus. One in the old library (now demolished), and the other in the arts/commerce tower, which was renamed he Muirhead Tower at some point. A fine piece of brutalist dystopian architecture, whose finest attribute was that once you were inside it you didn't have to look at it any more. :)
I read somewhere that the university spent £40 million on updating it. I hope that included the cost of a couple of proper lift shafts?

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 31st, 2023, 5:16 pm

bungeejumper wrote:. One in the old library (now demolished), and the other in the arts/commerce tower, which was renamed he Muirhead Tower at some point. A fine piece of brutalist dystopian architecture, whose finest attribute was that once you were inside it you didn't have to look at it any more. :)

BJ

I'd clearly tried to wipe any memories of the Muirhead tower out of my mind! :D

The whole building was cantilevered on just eight concrete pillars if I remember correctly. But the two halves were slowly moving apart!

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 31st, 2023, 5:23 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I'd clearly tried to wipe any memories of the Muirhead tower out of my mind! :D

The whole building was cantilevered on just eight concrete pillars if I remember correctly. But the two halves were slowly moving apart!

Some wag has been putting it about that the building is soon to be renamed the Tommy Shelby Tower, in homage to its lethally aggressive look. :D

BJ

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 31st, 2023, 5:30 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
XFool wrote:So what was I doing in Birmingham University Library (with my dad)? I will never know... :?

Actually there were two on the campus. One in the old library (now demolished), and the other in the arts/commerce tower, which was renamed he Muirhead Tower at some point. A fine piece of brutalist dystopian architecture, whose finest attribute was that once you were inside it you didn't have to look at it any more. :)

From what I remember (very little apart from the Paternoster) was that I was in what I would characterise as a typical 1920s/1930s style building with stone floors and dark wooden banisters etc.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 31st, 2023, 5:55 pm

XFool wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Actually there were two on the campus. One in the old library (now demolished), and the other in the arts/commerce tower, which was renamed he Muirhead Tower at some point. A fine piece of brutalist dystopian architecture, whose finest attribute was that once you were inside it you didn't have to look at it any more. :)

From what I remember (very little apart from the Paternoster) was that I was in what I would characterise as a typical 1920s/1930s style building with stone floors and dark wooden banisters etc.

That would have been the library.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » March 31st, 2023, 7:42 pm

Marks & Spencer in Leeds had a wooden built one for staff use in the 70s/80s. As a kid when I visited mum, who worked there, I used to thrill in the feeling of jeopardy jumping in and out, but I'm sure they probably used to trundle along really quite slowly.
Very simple and efficient rapid transport system and I guess much cheaper to install and maintain than a conventional elevator but since we live in a world where for safety reasons household gadgets and cleaning products have to come with advice "not for consumption" their obsolescence was pretty much guaranteed :)

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 1st, 2023, 9:38 am

Perhaps the cause of the demise of paternosters sixty years ago was Vatican II's change from Latin to vernacular language: "Er.. paterwhat?"

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 1st, 2023, 9:51 am

stewamax wrote:Perhaps the cause of the demise of paternosters sixty years ago was Vatican II's change from Latin to vernacular language: "Er.. paterwhat?"

Pater what? "no stairs" should explain it

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » April 1st, 2023, 10:04 am

Happened to be watching the film Funeral In Berlin recently and spotted a paternoster in one Berlin scene.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 1st, 2023, 11:35 am

redsturgeon wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:. One in the old library (now demolished), and the other in the arts/commerce tower, which was renamed he Muirhead Tower at some point. A fine piece of brutalist dystopian architecture, whose finest attribute was that once you were inside it you didn't have to look at it any more. :)

BJ

I'd clearly tried to wipe any memories of the Muirhead tower out of my mind! :D

John

My wife went to Birmingham Uni. I asked her if she ever rode the lift "over the top" but she said she never did! ( she's a bit of a stickler for following rules). She told me that there was a suicide from Muirhead Tower...looking at the building, I can see why!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 1st, 2023, 12:46 pm

monabri wrote:She told me that there was a suicide from Muirhead Tower...looking at the building, I can see why!

Alas, it's a sad reality that many university buildings see suicides. :| There used to be many more from the 100 metre height of Old Joe, the rather classy redbrick tower which had itself been modelled on the great 14th century Torre del Mangia at Siena.

Back in the sixties/seventies, students would walk around the outside of Old Joe, rather than taking the more direct route through its arches, because of a lingering thing about the possibility of being hit by a falling suicide. :roll: Even though the outside route meant that they actually spent more time in the potential landing zone! Illogical, captain, but then, over-anxious students do tend toward superstition.

Old Joe would have made a heck of a paternoster ride, though. Especially going over the top. :lol:

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/university ... d-joe.aspx

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 1st, 2023, 1:17 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Old Joe would have made a heck of a paternoster ride, though. Especially going over the top. :lol:

Whoops, bad taste alert. That's over the top of the paternoster, not the top of the building. :oops:

BJ

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 1st, 2023, 2:06 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Alas, it's a sad reality that many university buildings see suicides. :| There used to be many more from the 100 metre height of Old Joe, the rather classy redbrick tower which had itself been modelled on the great 14th century Torre del Mangia at Siena.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/university/campus/museums-and-attractions/old-joe.aspx

And a well known landmark in Birmingham. Didn't know about it being called "Old Joe".

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » April 1st, 2023, 2:25 pm

monabri wrote:She told me that there was a suicide from Muirhead Tower...looking at the building, I can see why!

The Architect maybe? Did he jump or was he pushed...

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » April 1st, 2023, 3:01 pm

Amen to that.

Return to “Curiosity Corner”