Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Anagram

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Anagram

Postby cinelli » March 10th, 2020, 12:30 pm

This puzzle is to make a meaningful anagram of

ELEVEN PLUS TWO

Cinelli

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Anagram

Postby ReformedCharacter » March 10th, 2020, 2:40 pm

Spoiler:

TWELVE PLUS ONE

RC

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 10th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Heh. That spoiler is too readable: now I'll never know whether that answer (or obvious variants - four of them involving alternative notation) would've come to me in a reasonable time. Very likely not: I'm not a scrabble player.

There's an element of psychology in there. If it had been a longer answer - a big block of text - it would have been an effort to read and much easier to ignore. But as posted it jumped right out at me.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » March 10th, 2020, 3:45 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Heh. That spoiler is too readable: now I'll never know whether that answer (or obvious variants - four of them involving alternative notation) would've come to me in a reasonable time. Very likely not: I'm not a scrabble player.

There's an element of psychology in there. If it had been a longer answer - a big block of text - it would have been an effort to read and much easier to ignore. But as posted it jumped right out at me.

Sorry, I'll try to do better next time.

RC

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 10th, 2020, 6:04 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Heh. That spoiler is too readable: now I'll never know whether that answer (or obvious variants - four of them involving alternative notation) would've come to me in a reasonable time. Very likely not: I'm not a scrabble player.

Sorry, I'll try to do better next time.

RC

Erm, sorry, didn't mean to have a go at you: more a case of musing out loud. In retrospect it probably came across wrong. :(

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » March 11th, 2020, 10:09 am

... anyway well solved, ReformedCharacter. I have problems with making posts invisible and which colour to choose. Doesn't the background alternate in colour between light blue and light grey? So you need to choose your text colour appropriately. I think we need guidance from Gengulphus who, I think, invented invisible text.

Cinelli

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 11th, 2020, 4:33 pm

cinelli wrote:... anyway well solved, ReformedCharacter. I have problems with making posts invisible and which colour to choose. Doesn't the background alternate in colour between light blue and light grey? So you need to choose your text colour appropriately. I think we need guidance from Gengulphus who, I think, invented invisible text.

Cinelli

First appeared on this board on August 17th, 2017.

Including the observation that it's suitable for unimportant things like spoilers here, as opposed to anything that really matters.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 25th, 2020, 9:13 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
cinelli wrote:... anyway well solved, ReformedCharacter. I have problems with making posts invisible and which colour to choose. Doesn't the background alternate in colour between light blue and light grey? So you need to choose your text colour appropriately. I think we need guidance from Gengulphus who, I think, invented invisible text.

First appeared on this board on August 17th, 2017.

Yes, UncleEbenezer is responsible for introducing invisible text on this board, not me. I say "introducing" because when I saw it, I had a vague recollection of having seen such a technique before somewhere else, but I've never tracked down where! So I am certain that I didn't invent it, but very uncertain who did invent it...

I did say something substantial at some point about good choices of colour to make the text as hard as possible to discern. I don't remember what I said or where I said it, but it probably doesn't really matter... I do know that I eventually settled for using colour #DFEFFF, because it's not too hard to remember ("DEF" interspersed with "F"s) and is acceptably hard to read against both of the two slightly different colours used for post backgrounds:

SAMPLE SPOILER AGAINST ONE BACKGROUND

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 25th, 2020, 9:14 pm

SAMPLE SPOILER AGAINST THE OTHER BACKGROUND

Gengulphus

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 25th, 2020, 9:47 pm

Gengulphus wrote: So I am certain that I didn't invent it, but very uncertain who did invent it...

Quite right.

I did invent it, long before the era of the Web, and probably in the context of pranking. But I'm one among many, and extremely unlikely to have been the first.

Come to think of it, "invisible ink" featured in some of the literature I read as a child. The idea has surely been around longer than any of us.

Your colour choice is indeed better than mine. I just use the best match from the board's palette of pre-defined colours.

Return to “Games, Puzzles and Riddles”