Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Mystery Items No. 6, Item 3 of 10.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mystery Items No. 6, Item 3 of 10.

Postby jfgw » April 10th, 2022, 6:36 pm

I am guessing that guessing has finished for this one. It has been answered (albeit spoilered) so I will post the explanatory photograph.

It is magnetic viewing film. Here you will see the film resting upon a magnet with a hole in it (identical to the magnet visible on the left) and the back of a fridge magnet.

(My photo).

Available via eBay and other suppliers.

Julian F. G. W.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 10th, 2022, 11:45 pm

jfgw wrote:I am guessing that guessing has finished for this one. It has been answered (albeit spoilered) so I will post the explanatory photograph.

It is magnetic viewing film. Here you will see the film resting upon a magnet with a hole in it (identical to the magnet visible on the left) and the back of a fridge magnet.

I don't think that quite explains the purpose of it. Does it respond in some visual way to magnetic field? We need a similar-looking non-magnetic object as control in the photo!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 11th, 2022, 12:31 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
jfgw wrote:I am guessing that guessing has finished for this one. It has been answered (albeit spoilered) so I will post the explanatory photograph.

I don't think that quite explains the purpose of it. Does it respond in some visual way to magnetic field? We need a similar-looking non-magnetic object as control in the photo!

https://youtu.be/sRlwQD7nlQo

Methinks iron filings on a card sheet are more fun ... if less convenient and potentially more messy. :D

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 11th, 2022, 12:45 am

mc2fool wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

Methinks iron filings on a card sheet are more fun ... if less convenient and potentially more messy. :D

if its messy fun you want... go for ferrofluid!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 11th, 2022, 12:51 am

servodude wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

if its messy fun you want... go for ferrofluid!

Oooooooooh! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEvVcaEmjjo :D

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 11th, 2022, 8:26 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I don't think that quite explains the purpose of it. Does it respond in some visual way to magnetic field? We need a similar-looking non-magnetic object as control in the photo!

It is a little bit see-through but the stripes caused by the fridge magnet are darker than the area over mystery item number 8.

Julian F. G. W.

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » April 12th, 2022, 4:53 pm

jfgw wrote:It is a little bit see-through but the stripes caused by the fridge magnet are darker than the area over mystery item number 8.

Mystery item number 8 looks like it is made of mild steel. It would not be surprising if it had a small magnetic field. Indeed it would be surprising if it had exactly zero magnetic field. Whether it would be detectable by this film I cannot say.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 12th, 2022, 10:18 pm

9873210 wrote:Mystery item number 8 looks like it is made of mild steel. It would not be surprising if it had a small magnetic field. Indeed it would be surprising if it had exactly zero magnetic field. Whether it would be detectable by this film I cannot say.

That is an excellent point. I have just checked it against a piece of black plastic, and the visibility of item no. 8 does appear to be almost entirely due to the slight transparency of the film. I could not see any difference in darkness between the two.

Julian F. G. W.

Return to “Games, Puzzles and Riddles”