Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Three lights

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Three lights

Postby jfgw » April 17th, 2017, 10:13 am

My loft is lit by three light bulbs suspended from the ridge beam. These are controlled by three switches downstairs but I do not know which switch controls which light. I make one journey from downstairs into the loft and determine which switch is which. How do I do it?

Julian F. G. W.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Three lights

Postby chas49 » April 17th, 2017, 10:24 am

Start with all switches off for a long time.

Switch on switch 1 and 2 for 10 minutes, then switch off number 2.

Go upstairs

Switch 1 controls the lit bulb
Switch 2 controls the unlit warm bulb
Switch 3 controls the unlit cold bulb.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 17th, 2017, 10:44 am

Quickly and correctly answered chas49.

Julian F. G. W.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 17th, 2017, 1:22 pm

chas49 wrote:Switch 1 controls the lit bulb

Presumably they are not LED lights then. LEDs do generate heat but not nearly as much as incandescent bulbs and typically have a heat sink built into them which dissipates the heat.

Compact Fluorescent bulbs don't get very hot either.

But then if the puzzle described the lights as incandescent it would be a little too easy.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 17th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Lootman wrote:
chas49 wrote:Switch 1 controls the lit bulb

Presumably they are not LED lights then. LEDs do generate heat but not nearly as much as incandescent bulbs and typically have a heat sink built into them which dissipates the heat.

Compact Fluorescent bulbs don't get very hot either.

But then if the puzzle described the lights as incandescent it would be a little too easy.

CFLs definitely do get warm although not as much as filament lamps. Even LEDs give off some heat. I reckon the difference in temperature would be easily detectable by touch. Maybe there is room for experimentation.

Julian F. G. W.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 26th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Lootman wrote:Presumably they are not LED lights then. LEDs do generate heat but not nearly as much as incandescent bulbs and typically have a heat sink built into them which dissipates the heat.

An experiment using a 13W Philips LED lamp (marked "100W equivalent"), Screwfix catalogue number 1616P (http://www.screwfix.com/p/philips-led-g ... tid=292403 ), fitted into an unshaded pendant lampholder suspended approximately 15 inches from the ceiling demonstrates that the method can work with LEDs. The lamp is similar in style to a GLS lamp (an old-fashioned filament "bulb") with a translucent plastic bulb and a white opaque body. Measurements were taken from both the bulb and the body using an infra-red thermometer. Unfortunately, the lamp had to be switched off to take valid measurements but the experiment clearly shows a temperature increase that persists long enough for the solution to the puzzle to work.

Warm-up phase:

The lamp was switched off and the following readings were taken:

The body still felt warm after the lamp had been switched off for 10 minutes, and the difference in temperature between the bulb and the body could easily be felt. I, therefore, conclude that chas49's answer is valid for at least the type of LED lamp tested but note that it is best to feel the temperature of the white body, not the translucent bulb of the lamp.

Julian F. G. W.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 26th, 2017, 6:51 pm

jfgw wrote:
Lootman wrote:Presumably they are not LED lights then. LEDs do generate heat but not nearly as much as incandescent bulbs and typically have a heat sink built into them which dissipates the heat.

An experiment using a 13W Philips LED l.........

I, therefore, conclude that chas49's answer is valid for at least the type of LED lamp tested but note that it is best to feel the temperature of the white body, not the translucent bulb of the lamp.

Julian F. G. W.

:)

I'm glad to learn I was even more right than I thought!!

Return to “Games, Puzzles and Riddles”