Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Podcasts for financial education

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
Fairfur

Podcasts for financial education

Postby Fairfur » September 30th, 2021, 12:19 pm

Moderator Message:
Moved here from LoOTP. - Chris
Are there any good podcasts that can be listened to for some financial education?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Podcasts for financial education

Postby dealtn » September 30th, 2021, 12:31 pm

Fairfur wrote:Are there any good podcasts that can be listened to for some financial education?

Welcome to The Lemon Fool.

Unfortunately, you have chosen one of the more obscure Boards to pose your question, which might not help in your quest for knowledge. What kind of financial education are you after? A mod can easily relocate to either somewhere such as "How Do I Invest", or "Living Below Your Means" depending on your response.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » September 30th, 2021, 1:28 pm

I'm sure that a MOD will be along soon to move this to a more appropriate board.

However I thought that I'd list a few podcasts that I follow.

Money & Markets (by the A J Bell "Shares" team).
Investors Chronicle (by guess who).
Money Clinic (by the FT).
Money Makers (by Jonathan Davis, Investment trusts Handbook fame).

I also catch the FT news briefing. Investment is all about the future. You can't guess what will happen in the future if you don't know what's happening today.

The first three regularly do basics. The fourth is worth following to keep track of sentiment.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » September 30th, 2021, 5:29 pm

I have a feeling that this is going to end up being a very long list. I do subscribe to some of the above but can also recommend:

Investability - The Quality Share Podcast - recently set up by two ex Investors Chronicles writers
Money Week - has interesting interviews
PIWORLD - has really good interviews

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » September 30th, 2021, 6:13 pm

EconTalk is an excellent weekly economics podcast, hosted by Prof. Russ Roberts, an Austrian school economist. I've been listening to it for over a decade.

Very wide ranging discussions with a variety of guests, not restricted to economists and economics.

One podcast featured the dealer from whom Prof. Roberts bought his car, another looked into the business aspect of professional sports, Magna Carta, prohibition of alcohol, and how academics are incentivised to falsify their research, etc.

Prof. Roberts lets his guests talk and is very well prepared (if the guest is talking about their latest book, Prof. Roberts will almost certainly have read it)

https://www.econtalk.org

I learned more economics from EconTalk than in my MSc. A good place to start is any podcast with Mike Munger (who is an economist)

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Postby vagrantbrain » October 2nd, 2021, 4:06 pm

I like the Rational Reminder - couple of Canadian fund managers who are advocates for evidence based investing and often have some interesting guests on.

Joseph Carlton on YouTube might be of interest - aimed at a younger audience and I find he labours his points somewhat, but very knowledgable on dividend stocks and the tech industry.

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » October 2nd, 2021, 4:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/c/Pensioncraft/featured

PensionCraft on YouTube and Rational Reminder as mentioned above although Ben Felix's own videos are some of his best output.

https://www.youtube.com/c/InvestitorulInteligent so the guy is Romanian but a lot of the content is applicable internationally.

Also, not a podcast but https://earlyretirementnow.com/ is worth a read along with https://jlcollinsnh.com/

I have wanted to like the ChooseFI podcasts but really cannot see the appeal of them!

wanderer
2 Lemon pips

Postby wanderer » October 3rd, 2021, 1:41 pm

Meaningful money with Pete Matthews is a good, UK based podcast (and YouTube channel) which in my view provides some sound financial education!

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » January 7th, 2022, 10:01 am

It depends if you want podcast for general personal finance, or for investing specifically.

I tend to prefer investment-based podcasts rather than personal finance based podcasts.

The two I find myself listening regularly are

Meb Faber - the value here is to start listening from first podcast to build up your education on global asset classes and portfolio construction. He has some great interviews. If I could recommend one episode it would be his interview with Howard Marks.

MoneyWeek - more topical & UK based, but I find it really good for discussing the big trends and looking beyond what the current headlines are reporting on

Return to “How Do I Invest”