Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Guide dog poo

Strangeness abounds. No question too obscure
Arizona11
2 Lemon pips

Guide dog poo

Postby Arizona11 » June 17th, 2022, 9:19 am

Sorry to ask such a crazy question. If you are unfortunately blind and have a guide dog, when you go for a walk with it, how do you know if it has done a poo? How do you pick up the poo for disposal if you can’t see where it is?

Thanks and apologies again.

Moderator Message:
I think the initial question was posted in the right place (DAK) but inevitably, perhaps, people want to discuss this a bit further. I have therefore moved it over to LoOTP. (chas49)

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Guide dog poo

Postby servodude » June 17th, 2022, 9:26 am

Arizona11 wrote:Sorry to ask such a crazy question. If you are unfortunately blind and have a guide dog, when you go for a walk with it, how do you know if it has done a poo? How do you pick up the poo for disposal if you can’t see where it is?

I saw this asked on TV a while ago... the dogs are trained to "go" on command (well those ones were anyway)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 17th, 2022, 10:55 am

servodude wrote:
Arizona11 wrote:Sorry to ask such a crazy question. If you are unfortunately blind and have a guide dog, when you go for a walk with it, how do you know if it has done a poo? How do you pick up the poo for disposal if you can’t see where it is?

I saw this asked on TV a while ago... the dogs are trained to "go" on command (well those ones were anyway)

Maybe I can borrow one and then go and visit my obnoxious neighbour up the road?

Good Boy! :twisted:

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 17th, 2022, 11:33 am

A mate of mine first told me about this. A relative of theirs used to be a gamekeeper and always had working dogs. They lived outdoors in kennels and were told when they were allowed to defacate. Apparently the dogs sometimes made a worried expression and whimper when asking permission. That's training!

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » June 17th, 2022, 11:36 am

According to:

http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=50

"Registered blind people are not required to clean up after their guide dogs."

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 17th, 2022, 12:24 pm

servodude wrote:

Indeed, a friend of mine who trains guide dogs says the same. They can be trained to do their business to command, somewhere suitable.

Old family friend had dogs throughout her life. I walked them many a time, and never ever witnessed any of them doing their business. They were trained to find places in the "rough", well away from where humans would be bothered by it.

I've heard similar reported about human infants, though I don't recollect the context. They can be trained to do their business to order, long before they have verbal communication. Apparently Chinese parents have a particular "now" whistle.

Moderator Message:
I think the initial question was posted in the right place (DAK) but inevitably, perhaps, people want to discuss this a bit further. I have therefore moved it over to LoOTP. (chas49)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 17th, 2022, 1:57 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:

Indeed, a friend of mine who trains guide dogs says the same. They can be trained to do their business to command, somewhere suitable.

Old family friend had dogs throughout her life. I walked them many a time, and never ever witnessed any of them doing their business. They were trained to find places in the "rough", well away from where humans would be bothered by it.

I've heard similar reported about human infants, though I don't recollect the context. They can be trained to do their business to order, long before they have verbal communication. Apparently Chinese parents have a particular "now" whistle.

Moderator Message:

One of our lab technicians in France told me that when she was young, her dad insisted on her 'going' after breakfast and before going to Primary school. She had to stay till she'd done it.

I always remember the sad look when she told me and wonder how it must have affected her psychologically. :(

Steve

PS I had to see the doctor because I was pooing regularly every day at 7am. He couldn't see the problem. I had to explain that I didn't wake up till 7.30am! :lol:

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » June 17th, 2022, 2:17 pm

This was covered by QI in a recent-ish episode (series-S episode-9)

Jimmy Carr to the blind comedian Chris McCausland :- "Who picks up guide dog sh*t?"
Chris's response: "Just move your hand around until it gets warmer, mate."

Return to “Land of Off Topic Posts”