Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hi everybody!

Strangeness abounds. No question too obscure
Maxitman

Hi everybody!

Postby Maxitman » November 21st, 2020, 3:21 pm

I am sort of new to investing and stuff, and I kind of started on it and got burned right away, although I did not fall for the "Sting," but it got me thinking and so I figured I better join some forums and listen to people smarter than me. This particular case involved a currency fluctuations concept, and I guess, in and by itself, a decent proposition. However, I was lured into it with a small initial investment, which then had to be backed up with a more massive chunk of money. Which, up until this point, was ok, except for one thing; the money had to be sent to them upfront! Immediately I am thinking, Nigerian Letters, so of course, I wouldn't spend a penny on these guys. And I asked for my initial capital to be sent back to me, and they said that since I did not send them the more considerable sum, my initial investment was forfeited. Naturally, this proved the point, I was dealing with crooks, and I am really glad that I did not send any additional funds to these swindlers. A London based company, too.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Hi everybody!

Postby bungeejumper » November 21st, 2020, 5:55 pm

Commiserations and congratulations. If everybody got gently burned once, and learned from the initial experience as you have, there'd be fewer suckers and a lot less scope for these hucksters.

They come in all shapes and sizes, and some of them do have a London address. Okay, it might be just a plastic letterbox in a third-party rented office that's got 500 of the buggers, and the real business might be going on in the Canary Islands where the law doesn't quite reach. If you get my meaning. Same goes for boiler-room operators, who'll give you what you think is a UK mobile number, except that they're in some overseas bolt-hole and they hope you'll never know until you get the bill for all the transatlantic calls. By which time they'll have vanished and they won't be answering your calls any more.

Best one I ever encountered was a London-based outfit which wouldn't give anything more than a UK mobile and a dubious-sounding name, but the owner swore that he was resident in the home counties. I googled his number, and indeed he was. To cut a very long story short, the owner of this phone was serving seven years in an open prison for fleecing pensioners. :|

Other people will have better suggestions than mine, but I'd stay stick around and study for six months before you lay any more money down. If anybody hurries you, walk away. If they want you to invest in a red hot micro stock, run twice as fast. If they phone you back after you've refused them once, swear loudly at them - it won't help at all, but it'll make you feel better. :lol:

And never accept their assurances that they're regulated by the FCA. They would say that, wouldn't they?

BJ

Return to “Land of Off Topic Posts”