Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

I am out at the moment...

Strangeness abounds. No question too obscure
XFool
The full Lemon

I am out at the moment...

Postby XFool » October 26th, 2021, 1:04 pm

Hiker lost on US mountain ignored calls from rescuers because he didn’t recognise the number

BBC News

Repeated attempts to contact the man missing on Mount Elbert for more than 24 hours went unanswered

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: I am out at the moment...

Postby Breelander » October 26th, 2021, 1:40 pm

XFool wrote:Hiker lost on US mountain ignored calls from rescuers because he didn’t recognise the number

:lol: sounds like he failed in his first attempt to win a Darwin award....

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 26th, 2021, 1:41 pm

XFool wrote:Hiker lost on US mountain ignored calls from rescuers because he didn’t recognise the number

BBC News

Repeated attempts to contact the man missing on Mount Elbert for more than 24 hours went unanswered

Based on the information in the article, which won't be complete, could it be the case that, as he hasn't raised the alarm himself - he was 'reported missing' - he had no expectation that a search party had been organised?

And, therefore, no reason to believe that the calls he ignored might be from the searchers?

Just trying to make sense of the story rather than defend the guy.

Watis

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 26th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Perhaps the altitude has addled his brain :roll:

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 26th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Watis wrote:

BBC News

Based on the information in the article, which won't be complete, could it be the case that, as he hasn't raised the alarm himself - he was 'reported missing' - he had no expectation that a search party had been organised?

You mean the incomplete information in the article that says:

"Lake county search and rescue said the man reported having “no idea” anyone was out looking for him."

:D

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 26th, 2021, 3:16 pm

BBC News

Odd how your "BBC News" link shows the story in The Guardian :?

--kiloran

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 26th, 2021, 3:22 pm

kiloran wrote:

BBC News

--kiloran

Might be a problem with his DNS server?

Watis

:lol:

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 26th, 2021, 7:32 pm

kiloran wrote:

BBC News

Oops!

It wasn't me up that mountain, honest. :oops:

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » January 4th, 2022, 5:37 pm

Well. I will defend him.

If I'm out, although I don't go up mountains, I don't, won't, answer unknown calls on my mobile. I go to great lengths to ensure that people, other than very close relatives, ie wife & children, do not get to know my number. Therefore any call I don't recognise is treated as spam.

ten0rman

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 9th, 2022, 10:53 am

BBC News

Can't a chap get some peace and quiet without some busybody interfering? That's an important point of going hiking any mountain region!

You mean the incomplete information in the article that says:

"Lake county search and rescue said the man reported having “no idea” anyone was out looking for him."

Reminds me of the time I went for an evening swim (across a very large lake) and someone reported me as a suspected suicide. :o Though I didn't have a phone with me.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 9th, 2022, 11:13 am

ten0rman wrote:Well. I will defend him.

If I'm out, although I don't go up mountains, I don't, won't, answer unknown calls on my mobile. I go to great lengths to ensure that people, other than very close relatives, ie wife & children, do not get to know my number. Therefore any call I don't recognise is treated as spam.

ten0rman

Same here. I go to great lengths to ensure that known callers are in the phone's directory so future calls will show who it is. Besides, if it's really urgent, they are quite capable of sending an SMS text, explaining why they need to contact me.

Steve

Return to “Land of Off Topic Posts”