Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to SalvorHardin,Loup321,pje16,AsleepInYorkshire,swill453, for Donating to support the site

John Lewis Plans Build to Rent Homes

Dod101
Lemon Half
Posts: 8843
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 2096 times
Been thanked: 3856 times

Re: John Lewis Plans Build to Rent Homes

#425576

Postby Dod101 » July 7th, 2021, 3:16 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:
Tends to be planning constraints re overall building heights, coupled with footplate size constraints on site leading to dormers for those extra sq ft.(Site percentage built on)

Still, they are doing something for roofers as in x years time it will be the repairs at the dormers and any valleys that keep the roofers happy. (My house is Victorian with two dormers, virtually all repairs over our 24 years of ownership have been re the dormers)


I think part of the thinking is that with dormers, a house can pass planning as a mere 1 1/2 storied building and the neighbours won't worry until it is built that is. But I agree that dormer windows provide neither one thing nor the other. We have them up and down our street and I hate them. I would I think actually prefer a proper two story house.

Dod


Ours is one of a pair of, two storey plus dormers in the roof, houses, the floor with the dormer windows would likely have been for the staff.

You can even work out the pecking order, the two rooms with dormers front/rear for the senior staff (cook etc), the smaller room with a velux window and fireplace (North side) for the next senior and the dogsbody got the 8ftx8ft south facing room with velux, cum ceiling and no fireplace, all the family would have then lived in the bottom two floors.

I believe the houses were built for Sea Captains in the late 1860s whereas the two storey ones with flat roofs that are built around the corner were for Ship's Mates.


That sounds interesting. I had a late Victorian house on two floors plus a mansard style roof giving the attic sufficient ceiling height to be full sized living areas. We had a permanent stair and ceiling height of at least 8 feet and velux windows, no dormers. Originally there was a maid's room on the first floor.

I have houses similar to the original one which AiY has highlighted, in the next street to where I now live. Not sure why people need houses of that size, especially when a number of them appear to be unoccupied for most of the time.

Dod

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1953
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:22 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 268 times

Re: John Lewis Plans Build to Rent Homes

#425658

Postby Charlottesquare » July 7th, 2021, 7:11 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
I think part of the thinking is that with dormers, a house can pass planning as a mere 1 1/2 storied building and the neighbours won't worry until it is built that is. But I agree that dormer windows provide neither one thing nor the other. We have them up and down our street and I hate them. I would I think actually prefer a proper two story house.

Dod


Ours is one of a pair of, two storey plus dormers in the roof, houses, the floor with the dormer windows would likely have been for the staff.

You can even work out the pecking order, the two rooms with dormers front/rear for the senior staff (cook etc), the smaller room with a velux window and fireplace (North side) for the next senior and the dogsbody got the 8ftx8ft south facing room with velux, cum ceiling and no fireplace, all the family would have then lived in the bottom two floors.

I believe the houses were built for Sea Captains in the late 1860s whereas the two storey ones with flat roofs that are built around the corner were for Ship's Mates.


That sounds interesting. I had a late Victorian house on two floors plus a mansard style roof giving the attic sufficient ceiling height to be full sized living areas. We had a permanent stair and ceiling height of at least 8 feet and velux windows, no dormers. Originally there was a maid's room on the first floor.

I have houses similar to the original one which AiY has highlighted, in the next street to where I now live. Not sure why people need houses of that size, especially when a number of them appear to be unoccupied for most of the time.

Dod


This sort of thing, though the one in the particulars here has been split into three, it being just the top floor with dormers that is for sale.

https://www.s1homes.com/Flats-for-sale/ ... 0056.shtml

Better photo here of another one that includes top 2 floors

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/10167828/

88V8
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2423
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:22 am
Has thanked: 654 times
Been thanked: 870 times

Re: John Lewis Plans Build to Rent Homes

#425821

Postby 88V8 » July 8th, 2021, 11:38 am

That house is seven times the area of ours.... Dormers can look good if well executed, and they offset the blandness created by roofscapes with no chimneys.

Dod101 wrote:We had a permanent stair ...

I never heard of a permanent stair... as distinct from an impermanent stair? It sounds a bit Harry Potterish.

V8

Dod101
Lemon Half
Posts: 8843
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 2096 times
Been thanked: 3856 times

Re: John Lewis Plans Build to Rent Homes

#425994

Postby Dod101 » July 8th, 2021, 10:32 pm

A good point! I meant permanent rather than a metal thing such as I have to my loft nowadays.

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2788
Joined: February 7th, 2017, 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 3484 times
Been thanked: 1637 times

Re: John Lewis Plans Build to Rent Homes

#425998

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 8th, 2021, 10:53 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:Still, they are doing something for roofers as in x years time it will be the repairs at the dormers and any valleys that keep the roofers happy. (My house is Victorian with two dormers, virtually all repairs over our 24 years of ownership have been re the dormers)

The roof tiles are natural slates. These have a life span of over a hundred years. The dormer cheeks are lead. Again the lifetime of lead is very long. Unless the workmanship is at fault this roof structure will see the owners pass away before it needs repairing.
Very rough figures, last time I looked, were

  1. Concrete tiles £20/m2
  2. Mock slate tiles (Marley Eternit) £26/m2
  3. Slate £50/m2
For those who really like detail it's worth looking at the ridges and hips on the roof which are lead.

AiY

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1953
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:22 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 268 times

Re: John Lewis Plans Build to Rent Homes

#426255

Postby Charlottesquare » July 9th, 2021, 7:42 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:Still, they are doing something for roofers as in x years time it will be the repairs at the dormers and any valleys that keep the roofers happy. (My house is Victorian with two dormers, virtually all repairs over our 24 years of ownership have been re the dormers)

The roof tiles are natural slates. These have a life span of over a hundred years. The dormer cheeks are lead. Again the lifetime of lead is very long. Unless the workmanship is at fault this roof structure will see the owners pass away before it needs repairing.
Very rough figures, last time I looked, were

  1. Concrete tiles £20/m2
  2. Mock slate tiles (Marley Eternit) £26/m2
  3. Slate £50/m2
For those who really like detail it's worth looking at the ridges and hips on the roof which are lead.

AiY


High wind tends to be the issue these days, either dislodging ridge caps or for our most recent repair wind coupled with rain pushing water up the side of the lead valley that falls below one of the sides of our front dormer ,requiring stripping back, new lead valley (wider), reprofile lead raised edge under the slates and reattaching slates- a quote from two contractors at circa £2.5k, luckily I found someone prepared to do a Saturday job for £800.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half
Posts: 7109
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:06 am
Has thanked: 745 times
Been thanked: 1710 times

Re: John Lewis Plans Build to Rent Homes

#427800

Postby redsturgeon » July 15th, 2021, 8:38 am

That is a big house and while I don't doubt the quality of workmanship, in my eyes it is an ugly McMansion.

Back on the OP i understand that John Lewis want to build their own rental portfolio to stabilise future income. The time to build might not be now but with the best will in the world they wont be building before 2024, who knows what the climate might be by then.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

John


Return to “Catastrophe Corner”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest