Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby odysseus2000 » January 20th, 2021, 5:04 pm

Howard wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Episode 2 (approx 11 minutes) of the Munroe tear down of a model 3. For anyone who has not tried to manufacture stuff this may be interesting in terms of the way small components elimination reduce cost:

https://youtu.be/61s1XNVSfiI

Regards,

I'm probably covering ground which BobbyD summed up more quickly with his comment.

And you know I'm not an engineer. But wouldn't a professional engineer cry when he saw the sloppiness of the build that Sandy Munroe exposes at 4mins 50secs onwards?

The areas of the undertray are loose and flappy as he pulls them down to explain that Tesla now leave off a couple of plastic fasteners to save 20 cents. He seems to completely miss the wastage of designing the car with the two holes for the stud fasteners in the metal frame (casting?) which they are fixed to and then not using them.

So we have a couple of bits of the undertray which are so loose he can pull them down easily and this is seen as a virtue. :( It wouldn't surprise me if wind resistance at 70 mph gets them flapping on a motorway causing vibrations, noise and possibly water ingress.

Perhaps this is the type of thinking which lets cars go out with rear lights which let in water in a UK winter?

Would a German car manufacturer be happy with this kind of sloppy design? I doubt it.

regards

Howard

Probably using up old inventory.

I guess you have never looked under a car before.

Some are completely sealed and you have to get the seal off to do any maintenance. There are often bits that are a bit loose as he shows but unless there is vibration or water ingress it doesn't matter.

Mostly cars are made to drain, as water will get everywhere on wet roads at motorway speeds. In winters this rain is more like brine which used to rot cars out quickly, but the anti-rust preparation is now much better.

Regards,

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 20th, 2021, 6:25 pm

Howard wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Episode 2 (approx 11 minutes) of the Munroe tear down of a model 3. For anyone who has not tried to manufacture stuff this may be interesting in terms of the way small components elimination reduce cost:

Regards,

I'm probably covering ground which BobbyD summed up more quickly with his comment.

And you know I'm not an engineer. But wouldn't a professional engineer cry when he saw the sloppiness of the build that Sandy Munroe exposes at 4mins 50secs onwards?

The areas of the undertray are loose and flappy as he pulls them down to explain that Tesla now leave off a couple of plastic fasteners to save 20 cents. He seems to completely miss the wastage of designing the car with the two holes for the stud fasteners in the metal frame (casting?) which they are fixed to and then not using them.

So we have a couple of bits of the undertray which are so loose he can pull them down easily and this is seen as a virtue. :( It wouldn't surprise me if wind resistance at 70 mph gets them flapping on a motorway causing vibrations, noise and possibly water ingress.

Perhaps this is the type of thinking which lets cars go out with rear lights which let in water in a UK winter?

Would a German car manufacturer be happy with this kind of sloppy design? I doubt it.

regards

Howard

You haven't understood what Sandy is saying. He is praising the reduction in fastener count, and noting that those fasteners were unnecessary, and that their removal is a good thing. He is also well aware that one does the quick thing first (stop using those fasteners, eliminate the part), and the slow thing later (if at all) i.e. adjust the undertray moulding to eliminate the corresponding holes.

I don't always agree with Sandy on everything he says, and I'm not 100% sure I agree with him on the observations he is making in this film. However I do at least understand him, which is a start.

regards, dspp

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 20th, 2021, 6:34 pm

dspp wrote:You haven't understood what Sandy is saying. He is praising the reduction in fastener count, and noting that those fasteners were unnecessary, and that their removal is a good thing.

The other point is that making a car for two years with completely redundant fasteners, and the holes for redundant fasteners to go in, is a pre-requisite for removing them. Removing them isn't so much a good thing as the belated mitigation of a bad thing.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 20th, 2021, 7:40 pm

dspp wrote:
Howard wrote:

Regards,

regards

Howard

You haven't understood what Sandy is saying. He is praising the reduction in fastener count, and noting that those fasteners were unnecessary, and that their removal is a good thing. He is also well aware that one does the quick thing first (stop using those fasteners, eliminate the part), and the slow thing later (if at all) i.e. adjust the undertray moulding to eliminate the corresponding holes.

I don't always agree with Sandy on everything he says, and I'm not 100% sure I agree with him on the observations he is making in this film. However I do at least understand him, which is a start.

regards, dspp

I think I do understand what Sandy is saying, but I think he is wrong.

I was lucky enough to work with a large team for a number of years and in those days we practiced “kaizen”. We saw how Japanese manufacturers revolutionised the making of products like dependable cars. And how they would save costs by making sure for example that the pipe in a car engine was just the right length and not over- long like British Leyland cars of the past.

Their attention to quality and costs paid off. They made profits selling reliable cars. Later on, even Top Gear couldn’t kill a Toyota Hilux!

Continuous improvement worked brilliantly for me and the team. And it’s one of the reasons that I’ve been lucky enough to drive nice cars. Yes I’ve looked underneath them on occasion. And have visited Mercedes in Sindelfingen a couple of times as well as Porsche and the Jaguar XK plant. I’m aware of the combination of many small features in a car that make for a pleasant three-year driving experience.

Amusingly, when I owned Mercedes vehicles they were so pleased with the quality of the underside of their cars that the Main Dealer used to send me videos of the inspection of the underneath of the car every service!

I’d be amazed if Japanese manufacturers of much cheaper cars, made down to a price, weren’t horrified if they looked at Sandy’s video and the sloppiness of the undertray of that Model 3. Premium car makers must be amused by it. Am I being unreasonable to suggest that, if I were a competitor, I’d use it as a training video for my sales teams to show how Tesla skimp on quality. :roll:

Dspp, would you as an engineer be proud of the quality of the workmanship shown in the video? Did your company manufacture to that sort of standard? ;)

And would you support the removal of a couple of fasteners with the possibility of vibrations etc to save 20 cents?

regards

Howard

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » January 20th, 2021, 8:24 pm

Hi Howard,

You are believing too much of the marketing hype around Japanese cars. Yes, they have a deserved reputation for reliability but they are not infallible and they make plenty of mistakes. Just look at this recall list for 2020:

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle ... ll-checker

In any kind of production environment the maker does their best to create a product that is perfect, but there are always things that are missed and these are either ignored or corrected in future models or are subject to mandatory recall.

Tesla are doing what all makers since Ford have done, finding things that are not needed and removing them in as many inventive ways as possible. Ford in one of his effciency drives commanded that some parts be provided in wooden boxes of a particular dimension. The boxes were then taken apart and used as parts on Ford cars.

Regards,

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 20th, 2021, 9:41 pm

Howard wrote:Am I being unreasonable to suggest that, if I were a competitor, I’d use it as a training video for my sales teams to show how Tesla skimp on quality. :roll:

Dspp, would you as an engineer be proud of the quality of the workmanship shown in the video? Did your company manufacture to that sort of standard? ;)

And would you support the removal of a couple of fasteners with the possibility of vibrations etc to save 20 cents?

regards

Howard

One engineers to deliver the product at the specification required in the market. My business does work to client specifications, to this day, and we meet them and we know we meet them because we check everything that is relevant. The way you are thinking about it is far too simplistic.

There are things I agree with Sandy on, and things I disagree with him on, however we would have a rational engineering discussion about it. One of the aspects we would discuss is what the often irrational clients would say, especially a particular sub-group of them.

In this particular instance I think that Tesla have made an unwise choice for understandable reasons. The Sandy's of this world currently disagree with me. As we watch the Tesla designs evolve, remarkably rapidly, I expect we we will observe whether Sandy is more or less right than me.

But I don't let superficiality get in the way of my investment analysis. The deeper observation, which Sandy is making, is that Tesla is evolving its designs rapidly in a feedback loop and that is a good thing. I agree with him on that.

regards, dspp

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » January 20th, 2021, 10:47 pm

Munroe & companion are doing a cross country trip in their model 3:

https://youtu.be/2lj_Olw4OS8

Could be an interesting and entertaining series.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 21st, 2021, 5:49 am

Tesla drops Model 3 prices in Europe

Tesla price adjustments in Europe
Tesla updated its online configurator overnight to adjust down the price of the Model 3 in many European markets.

Here are the changes in Germany for example (via u/_airmax on Reddit):

Model 3 Standard Range Plus: from €42.990 to €39.990
Model 3 Lang Range AWD: from €52.490 to €49.990
Model 3 Performance: from €58.490 to €54.990

- https://electrek.co/2021/01/20/tesla-dr ... in-europe/

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 21st, 2021, 10:02 am

BobbyD wrote:
dspp wrote:The view from the WSJ on VAG,
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-volksw ... _lead_pos5 ($$$$)

"How Volkswagen’s $50 Billion Plan to Beat Tesla Short-Circuited
Faulty software set back a bid by the world’s largest car maker for electric-vehicle dominance

How Volkswagen’s $50 Billion Plan to Beat Tesla Short-Circuited
"..the fancy technology features VW had promised [for the ID.3] were either absent or broken. The company’s programmers hadn’t yet figured out how to update the car’s software remotely. Its futuristic head-up display that was supposed to flash speed, directions and other data onto the windshield didn’t function. Early owners began reporting hundreds of other software bugs."
"Ever since Tesla launched its first car in 2008 “there was this feeling that the really serious players are going to come,” said Peter Rawlinson, CEO of electric car startup Lucid Technologies and the former chief engineer of Tesla’s Model S. Now, he says, “the Germans have finally come, and they’re not as good as Tesla.”
"In the early years of the ID.3 effort, the task to code software for the car was scattered across the organization...The first major project was VW.os, an operating system for ICAS1, the car’s central computer that could be updated remotely."
"In April, he [Mr. Diess] brought back Prof. Malik for a three-day workshop with about 40 of his top executives. Prof. Malik said Mr. Diess posed a simple question for the group: What do we have to do to catch up with Tesla by 2024?"
"At the end of the workshop, the management team had the outlines of a reboot. It would produce a new fully electric and largely self-driving car by 2025, shift more resources from the company’s old business to EVs and digitization, expand battery manufacturing, and explore new revenue streams and payment systems."
"VW.os 2.0—is targeted for 2024 and will include advanced self-driving car features. VW’s goal is to eventually build at least 60% of automotive software in-house."
"Another component of the reboot was the Artemis project, a new in-house design team that would take the software developed by Mr. Hilgenberg’s group and integrate it in a new electric, self-driving, and internet-connected vehicle within three years.""

etc,

- dspp

I had thought that that was riddled with factual errors, but comparing your quotes to the stub above the paywall it might be the result of a series of partial quotes not separated with ellipses to indicate missing text?

Either way it's either bobbins or reduced to bobbins, with the compression of any timeline which might have existed within the article being the most obvious but not only problem.

See non $$ link https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/st ... -32229239/

- dspp

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 21st, 2021, 2:37 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
Howard wrote:

Regards,

regards

Howard

Probably using up old inventory.

I guess you have never looked under a car before.

Some are completely sealed and you have to get the seal off to do any maintenance. There are often bits that are a bit loose as he shows but unless there is vibration or water ingress it doesn't matter.

Mostly cars are made to drain, as water will get everywhere on wet roads at motorway speeds. In winters this rain is more like brine which used to rot cars out quickly, but the anti-rust preparation is now much better.

Regards,

"I guess you have never looked under a car before."

Ody, that's a fair question. And it deserves an answer:

I’ve looked closely at the manufacture of a number of cars which are in a similar price range to Teslas. Visiting Mercedes, Porsche and Jaguar car plants. This included looking at the components which made up the floorpans of new cars.

And I’ve driven many new cars in the £40k+ bracket from a couple of Ferraris downwards.

Can I ask you a couple of questions to test your expertise?

What is your experience of driving new cars in this price range and how carefully have you looked at their floorpans?

And how many car plants have you visited recently?

regards

Howard ;)

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » January 21st, 2021, 4:32 pm

What is your experience of driving new cars in this price range and how carefully have you looked at their floorpans?

regards

Howard ;)

New? Me? None!

I have always had old cars, taken them to bits many times, done most operations possible on ICE engines and associated mechanics, welded up many car bodies. Most of this I enjoy and it has taught me all manner of things about cars that only mechanics see.

I study cars for investment opportunities, not because I am interested in buying or leasing any of them. Sometimes I hire cars and chose what ever is cheapest and big enough for what I need.

Generally I am super thankful to the boys and girls who like to buy/lease new cars so that in the by and by I am get something that has depreciated to the point when there is little depreciation to occur.

Maybe one day I will get bored with this or find I have lost my interest for working on them and buy a Y or something similar, possibly a bigger car as I often haul big things connected with small scale farming.

I have never visited a car plant.

However, I am also very keen and interested to see what friends and associates buy and more importantly what motivates their buying. In many cases it is about the fear of being stuck with something that needs a lot of money spending on it and in other cases a hate and revulsion for doing any mechanical work or an inability to do so due to having none of the required skills. For people in these groups it is often brand loyalty and or good deals that motivates them with only a few having any interest in what the car can do and why it is worth their money. I have known folk buy 4 wheel drive and never go off tarmac. There are also some who love to have the latest plate on their drive as though it is some indication of their status, often boring people in my experience, but it is what they consider to be fitting for them.

Regards,

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 21st, 2021, 5:22 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:

regards

Howard ;)

New? Me? None!

I have always had old cars, taken them to bits many times, done most operations possible on ICE engines and associated mechanics, welded up many car bodies. Most of this I enjoy and it has taught me all manner of things about cars that only mechanics see.

I study cars for investment opportunities, not because I am interested in buying or leasing any of them. Sometimes I hire cars and chose what ever is cheapest and big enough for what I need.

Generally I am super thankful to the boys and girls who like to buy/lease new cars so that in the by and by I am get something that has depreciated to the point when there is little depreciation to occur.

Maybe one day I will get bored with this or find I have lost my interest for working on them and buy a Y or something similar, possibly a bigger car as I often haul big things connected with small scale farming.

I have never visited a car plant.

However, I am also very keen and interested to see what friends and associates buy and more importantly what motivates their buying. In many cases it is about the fear of being stuck with something that needs a lot of money spending on it and in other cases a hate and revulsion for doing any mechanical work or an inability to do so due to having none of the required skills. For people in these groups it is often brand loyalty and or good deals that motivates them with only a few having any interest in what the car can do and why it is worth their money. I have known folk buy 4 wheel drive and never go off tarmac. There are also some who love to have the latest plate on their drive as though it is some indication of their status, often boring people in my experience, but it is what they consider to be fitting for them.

Regards,

Ok, this is fun, Can I take the liberty of asking a couple more questions about your manufacturing expertise?

I think we both have experience of "see(ing) what friends and associates buy and more importantly what motivates their buying". To be realistic there aren't many people in the UK who don't have this experience.

Have you ever been a senior manager or director of a medium or large manufacturing company and been part of a team tackling the type of manufacturing issues we discuss in your thread? Maybe Production Control Manager of a major US owned plant or Director of a UK manufacturer?

Have you been inside a number of high tech manufacturing companies in California and the Boston area and had the chance to look at their processes?

Hint: please do ask me if these roles are on my CV and, yes, I have looked underneath a few cars in my time ;)

regards

Howard

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 21st, 2021, 5:37 pm

Tersla's hot streak continues!

Based on driver statement and our data analysis, preliminary conclusion is that the accident was the result of an impact on underbody, Tesla on Model 3 fire and explosion in Shanghai.
No casualties/injuries in the accident.

https://twitter.com/DKurac/status/13518 ... s-china%2F

According to Moneyball media are carrying CATL claims that the Model 3 didn't contain their LFP battery.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 21st, 2021, 5:51 pm

Howard wrote:And I’ve driven many new cars in the £40k+ bracket from a couple of Ferraris downwards.

Can you give me a guide on where I can buy 2 Ferraris for £40k please? At a push I would accept just one.

Ever hopeful.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 21st, 2021, 6:09 pm

dealtn wrote:
Howard wrote:And I’ve driven many new cars in the £40k+ bracket from a couple of Ferraris downwards.

Can you give me a guide on where I can buy 2 Ferraris for £40k please? At a push I would accept just one.

Ever hopeful.

The + after the £40k was important. :)

And I didn't own either of them I'm afraid. One, unbelievably, was owned by someone who reported to me and let me have a go up the Motorway. (Yes, I know, we paid him too much!).

regards

Howard

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 21st, 2021, 6:15 pm

BobbyD wrote:Tersla's hot streak continues!

Based on driver statement and our data analysis, preliminary conclusion is that the accident was the result of an impact on underbody, Tesla on Model 3 fire and explosion in Shanghai.

According to Moneyball media are carrying CATL claims that the Model 3 didn't contain their LFP battery.

I told anyone who would listen that the underbody of the Model 3 was flaky! Even I didn't expect to be proved right so quickly. :)

Howard

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 21st, 2021, 6:25 pm

Howard wrote:

I told anyone who would listen that the underbody of the Model 3 was flaky! Even I didn't expect to be proved right so quickly. :)

Howard

I hope you have a good alibi Howard, because the one party I'm sure won't be found at fault here is Tesla...

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 21st, 2021, 6:27 pm

dspp wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
dspp wrote:The view from the WSJ on VAG,
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-volksw ... _lead_pos5 ($$$$)

"How Volkswagen’s $50 Billion Plan to Beat Tesla Short-Circuited
Faulty software set back a bid by the world’s largest car maker for electric-vehicle dominance

How Volkswagen’s $50 Billion Plan to Beat Tesla Short-Circuited
"..the fancy technology features VW had promised [for the ID.3] were either absent or broken. The company’s programmers hadn’t yet figured out how to update the car’s software remotely. Its futuristic head-up display that was supposed to flash speed, directions and other data onto the windshield didn’t function. Early owners began reporting hundreds of other software bugs."
"Ever since Tesla launched its first car in 2008 “there was this feeling that the really serious players are going to come,” said Peter Rawlinson, CEO of electric car startup Lucid Technologies and the former chief engineer of Tesla’s Model S. Now, he says, “the Germans have finally come, and they’re not as good as Tesla.”
"In the early years of the ID.3 effort, the task to code software for the car was scattered across the organization...The first major project was VW.os, an operating system for ICAS1, the car’s central computer that could be updated remotely."
"In April, he [Mr. Diess] brought back Prof. Malik for a three-day workshop with about 40 of his top executives. Prof. Malik said Mr. Diess posed a simple question for the group: What do we have to do to catch up with Tesla by 2024?"
"At the end of the workshop, the management team had the outlines of a reboot. It would produce a new fully electric and largely self-driving car by 2025, shift more resources from the company’s old business to EVs and digitization, expand battery manufacturing, and explore new revenue streams and payment systems."
"VW.os 2.0—is targeted for 2024 and will include advanced self-driving car features. VW’s goal is to eventually build at least 60% of automotive software in-house."
"Another component of the reboot was the Artemis project, a new in-house design team that would take the software developed by Mr. Hilgenberg’s group and integrate it in a new electric, self-driving, and internet-connected vehicle within three years.""

etc,

- dspp

I had thought that that was riddled with factual errors, but comparing your quotes to the stub above the paywall it might be the result of a series of partial quotes not separated with ellipses to indicate missing text?

Either way it's either bobbins or reduced to bobbins, with the compression of any timeline which might have existed within the article being the most obvious but not only problem.

See non $$ link https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/st ... -32229239/

- dspp

Belgian newspaper with translation courtesy NikoV on TMC at https://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20210121_94883811

"Kortsluiting teistert elektrische start van Volkswagen
Vandaag om 14:32 door Karsten Lemmens

Kortsluiting teistert elektrische start van Volkswagen
Auto’s als de ID.3 zijn steeds meer computers op vier wielen, en dat speelt VW parten. Foto: Dieter Telemans
Het grote elektrische offensief van Volkswagen start in mineur, nu de nagelnieuwe ID.3 kampt met ernstige softwareproblemen.

Plots gaan de deuren niet meer open. De ramen gaan niet meer omlaag. De boordcomputer geeft talloze foutmeldingen, en de 12 volt-startbatterij raakt niet meer opgeladen. Het is maar een greep uit de vele ..."

The VW ID3 troubles made headlines in our local newspaper: Kortsluiting teistert elektrische start van Volkswagen "‘Short circuit plagues the electric start of VW’"

Some juicy quotes:
“Plots gaan de deuren niet meer open. De ramen gaan niet meer omlaag. De boordcomputer geeft talloze foutmeldingen, en de 12 volt-startbatterij raakt niet meer opgeladen.” Suddenly the doors don’t open anymore. The window can’t be opened anymore. The main computer gives numerous error messages. The 12V battery can’t be charged anymore.

About the newspapers own ID3 test: “Er verschenen foutmeldingen, de rijhulpsystemen vielen uit, het vermogen van de elektromotor zakte in elkaar. Gekende kost voor veel ID.3-chauffeurs, van wie velen intussen hun gal spuwen op het internet. ‘Een waardeloze auto en miskleun van VW’, zegt een ID.3-eigenaar op een internetforum voor Volkswagen-fans. ‘Ik heb veel spijt dat ik deze flutauto heb gekocht.’ Een ID.3-bestuurder op Facebook bracht zijn wagen bij de garagist binnen omdat zijn richtingaanwijzer niet meer uit wilde gaan.”Erro r messages appeared, drive assistance features broke down, engine power collapsed. Many ID3 drivers experienced this and complain on the internet. A driver feels he made a mistake buying the car. One ID3 user on FB had to return his car ti the dealer because the direction indicators didn’t switch off anymore.

The new Golf also has numerous software problems.
There is a big software update for the ID3 this quarter, for which the car needs to be serviced in a service center for a day, because the update takes hours and the remote update doesn’t work yet.
“Want hoe schadelijk is dit voor VW’s imago? Een toonbeeld van deutsche Gründlichkeit is de affaire alleszins niet. Bij een rondvraag naar problemen met de ID.3 meldden zich verschillende eigenaars van een Tesla, die plagend opschepten dat zij met hun elektrische wagen nog geen moeilijkheden hebben ervaren.” How damaging is this for VW’s image? It’s not reflecting the ‘Deutsche Grundlichkeit’. Soliciting ID3 user experiences with the ID3, several Tesla owners teasingly bragged that they didn’t have any problems.
(End of quotes)
So the software problems with the ID3 have reached the general public. The title of the article is ‘Short circuit plagues the electric start of VW’.

- dspp

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 21st, 2021, 6:31 pm

BobbyD wrote:
Howard wrote:

Howard

I hope you have a good alibi Howard, because the one party I'm sure won't be found at fault here is Tesla...

Possibility of impacting a manhole cover https://twitter.com/DKurac/status/13522 ... 48034?s=19

regards, dspp

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 21st, 2021, 6:37 pm

dspp wrote:There is a big software update for the ID3 this quarter, for which the car needs to be serviced in a service center for a day, because the update takes hours and the remote update doesn’t work yet.

The remote does work, but not on cars which were delivered in the first batch whose owners were given the choice of waiting a couple of months until Android Auto, Car Play, the AR section of the HUD and OTT were working or taking delivery now, delaying their first payment for 3 months, and having to take the car to a garage to get it's initial update.

We've covered this now in a myriad of ways...

When's the Tesla update which includes Android Auto, Car play, and an AR HUD due out?

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”