Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby BobbyD » August 30th, 2021, 7:21 pm

5am, flashing lights, difficult to miss...

Tesla Model 3 in autopilot mode smashes into police cruiser and almost hits Florida State Trooper, becoming 12 of the firm's vehicles to slam into first responder vehicle with lights flashing

A Tesla Model 3 on 'autopilot' mode hit a Florida Highway Patrol cruiser on August 28 on I-4 near downtown Orlando

The trooper had stopped shortly after 5 am to help a disabled vehicle

The 26-year-old Tesla driver and the driver of the disabled vehicle had minor injuries, but the trooper was unhurt
A spokesman for the agency said the crash remains under investigation

This is the 12th accident with a Tesla on autopilot hitting a first responder vehicle

The 11 prior accidents - one deadly - have resulted in the US government conducting a formal investigation into Tesla's Autopilot driving system

- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... hicle.html

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 30th, 2021, 9:51 pm

Cory at Munroe does a road test of the KIA Niro and likes it:

https://youtu.be/2NVZdNz2hhY

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 31st, 2021, 8:24 am

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 31st, 2021, 8:41 pm

Motional reveals its Hyundai Ioniq 5 electric robotaxi

Motional revealed Tuesday the first images of its planned robotaxi, a Hyundai all-electric Ioniq 5 SUV that will be the centerpiece of a driverless ride-hailing service the company wants customers to be able to access starting in 2023 through the Lyft app.

The purpose-built vehicle, which will be assembled by Hyundai, is integrated with Motional’s autonomous vehicle technology, including a suite of more than 30 sensors including lidar, radar and cameras that can be seen throughout the interior and exterior. That sensing system provides 360 degrees of vision, and the ability to see up to 300 meters away, according to Motional.

The company, which was born out of a $4 billion joint venture with Aptiv and Hyundai, intentionally showcases the numerous sensors, president and CEO Karl Iagnemma said in a recent interview.

- https://techcrunch.com/2021/08/31/motio ... -robotaxi/

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 1st, 2021, 4:34 am

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 1st, 2021, 10:47 am

Interesting graphs of fsd take up. Should fsd become legal for no driver use, there will be a large increase in earning from all the folk subscribing to fsd. Any announcements of legalising of the FSD for robotic driving will generate a nice load of subscription income, but the reaction of the equity will likely be mostly from the speculative income and future estimate of robotic driving put out by Cathy Wood's Ark analysts.

Regards,

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » September 1st, 2021, 11:05 am

odysseus2000 wrote:Interesting graphs of fsd take up. Should fsd become legal for no driver use, there will be a large increase in earning from all the folk subscribing to fsd.

Given the current state of 'F'SD, how many years away do you expect that to be?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 1st, 2021, 1:46 pm

murraypaul wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Interesting graphs of fsd take up. Should fsd become legal for no driver use, there will be a large increase in earning from all the folk subscribing to fsd.

If it is going to happen with the tech they now have I would say within a year. They have a very large team working on it and are very focused.

If we don't see it within a year, then it is unlikely imho that the current tech is good enough and some new tech and or new ideas will be needed as determined by the reasons that what they have didn't work.

Its a very difficult call and we have all been disappointed before, but I can not see any fundamental reason why this will not work, unless there is something that humans have which is beyond computation. There are some including the Nobel laureate Sir Roger Penrose who argue that we are more than just computation and that quantum mechanics governs our behaviour. If so or if their is something else we don't understand it may scupper the whole idea of robotic driving on roads with human drivers and potentially lead to calls for some (most?) roads to be robotic drivers only.

As of now I am thinking that robotic driving will happen either with the current set of hardware/software or later if this combination of tech isn't up to the job.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 1st, 2021, 3:33 pm

World wide BEV sales by model:

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/08/31/20 ... ly-charts/

Interesting that the BEV share is now 4.7% of the whole market with plug in hybrids at 2.4%.

Sales of the Wuling Hongguang Mini EV that began in 2020 are doing well, currently just under the combined sales of Tesla 3 and Y.

I have my doubts that the Wuling Hongguang Mini EV will sell well in Western markets, but it is certainly selling well in China and being good for GM who have a part ownership:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuling_Hongguang_Mini_EV

In 2020, the Hongguang Mini had a price starting at US$4,162, and tops out at US$5,607 for a fully loaded model, making it China's cheapest EV.[6]

See also for more details:

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/26/gm- ... Sykw9Ob_oy

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 1st, 2021, 4:55 pm

Munro looks under the Kia and finds it is a 90's car, consistent with my observation that this is an over priced car compared to more modern versions (12 mins 05 seconds):

https://youtu.be/yuMysPqr4O8

Regards,

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 1st, 2021, 6:45 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
murraypaul wrote:

If it is going to happen with the tech they now have I would say within a year. They have a very large team working on it and are very focused.

If we don't see it within a year, then it is unlikely imho that the current tech is good enough and some new tech and or new ideas will be needed as determined by the reasons that what they have didn't work.

Its a very difficult call and we have all been disappointed before, but I can not see any fundamental reason why this will not work, unless there is something that humans have which is beyond computation. There are some including the Nobel laureate Sir Roger Penrose who argue that we are more than just computation and that quantum mechanics governs our behaviour. If so or if their is something else we don't understand it may scupper the whole idea of robotic driving on roads with human drivers and potentially lead to calls for some (most?) roads to be robotic drivers only.

As of now I am thinking that robotic driving will happen either with the current set of hardware/software or later if this combination of tech isn't up to the job.

Regards,

Answering the question 'how many years away do you expect that to be?' seems to me to depend on how you define FSD, on whether FSD is capable in limited circumstances (roads and road conditions) or FSD everywhere and all the time. I find it difficult to guess how long it will take FSD to navigate successfully around the single track roads in Cornwall but easier to guess how long it will take before FSD would be capable on motorways. I wish I could be more optimistic and I am greatly impressed by Tesla's efforts but my guess would be > 10 years for FSD everywhere and all the time.

Penrose's ideas are interesting and I suspect he is correct although his theory about micro-tubules relating to consciousness may be a red-herring. Nonetheless, it seems to me that there are no reasons to suggest that FSD requires anything but measurement and computation without the need to evoke consciousness or quantum mechanics.

My guess is that the road to FSD could be made a lot shorter if vehicles could communicate with each other but that does not seem to be the trajectory of development at the moment and perhaps this will happen when the technology is more mature and the advantages of such a system become more apparent.

RC

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 1st, 2021, 7:38 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:My guess is that the road to FSD could be made a lot shorter if vehicles could communicate with each other but that does not seem to be the trajectory of development at the moment and perhaps this will happen when the technology is more mature and the advantages of such a system become more apparent.

RC

The technology is already on the road, it's fitted as standard on Mk 8 Golfs. You can see it in this ADAC (German language but the video is self explanatory) video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY_NL_Hmvxs

Technical milestone in road safety: experts praise Volkswagen’s car2x technology

The new Golf can help drivers to prevent accidents, thanks to its innovative Car2X technology, allowing it to wirelessly connect with other vehicles and the traffic infrastructure. The Euro NCAP consortium gave special recognition to the traffic hazard alert function with the Advanced Award for ground-breaking safety features. The German automotive association ADAC tested the new technology and declared it a “technical milestone”.

“This is an exciting area of safety,” explains Michiel van Ratingen, Secretary General at Euro NCAP. “Volkswagen are to be congratulated for making the technology standard in vehicles selling in high numbers like the Golf.”

The new Golf is the first car on the European market to come standard-equipped with Car2X technology, which is based on the Wi-Fi p wireless standard. This type of Wi-Fi is specifically tailored to local communication between vehicles and does not use the mobile phone network, which means it provides blanket coverage within the limits of the system. Within a radius of up to 800 metres, connected vehicles directly exchange positioning data and information with one another. This allows them to warn each other of danger or make contact with the traffic infrastructure within a matter of milliseconds.

The German automotive association ADAC tested Volkswagen’s Car2X technology, during which it sent the new Golf into eight typical hazardous situations in which a driver, without being warned, would not be able to react at all, or would only be able to react much later. In all eight situations, the vehicle warned the driver reliably and in time, often even 10 or 11 seconds before the impending accident. ADAC assessed Volkswagen’s new technology (certified by TÜV), declaring it a “technical milestone”, comparable to systems such as ABS or airbags.

- https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-re ... echnology/

Car2X in the new Golf: A “technological milestone”

German Automotive Association ADAC tested one of its functionalities, traffic hazard alert, and called it a “technological milestone”. Euro NCAP, as an independent organisation, has particularly honoured it – with the “Advanced Award”, the special award for ground-breaking safety features.

...The new Golf in the ADAC test: eight typical hazardous situations

Independent safety experts are full of praise for Volkswagen’s Car2X technology. German Automotive Association ADAC tested it at its premises in the Bavarian town of Penzing. For this purpose, it sent the new Golf into eight typical hazardous situations in which a driver, without support, would not be able to react at all, or would only be able to react at a dangerously late stage. One example was – apart from the emergency services vehicle scenario – a broken down car at the side of the road positioned behind a tight corner. Thanks to Wi-Fi p the new Golf identified it eleven seconds prior to the potential impact – at a speed of 100 km/h and from a distance of around 300 metres.

- https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/ ... stone-5919

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 1st, 2021, 7:45 pm

ReformedChracter
Penrose's ideas are interesting and I suspect he is correct although his theory about micro-tubules relating to consciousness may be a red-herring. Nonetheless, it seems to me that there are no reasons to suggest that FSD requires anything but measurement and computation without the need to evoke consciousness or quantum mechanics.

You may be right, but most of us can relate to things that seem beyond calculation, such as intuition, knowing that you are being watched with out seeing who is watching you, feelings about what is coming, feeling as though you walked on someones grave etc.

These may all be happenstance, but if one can't get FSD to work then it may point towards their being factors that are not just computation and measurement.

I have no idea, but I like to think about if this, then that and if not this, then why not.

If I understand what Penrose is saying, it is that humans have abilities that sit above computation and measurement and perhaps these are more important than we think.

So far the evidence for super human senses is not there. Folk once said that machines could not beat humans at Chess, then when processing power got larger, machines did win at Chess and then for GO where the number of options was thought beyond computation, the techniues of neural nets were enough to make up for the defiencies of computation.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 2nd, 2021, 12:41 am

Tesla can't even make delay announcements with a straight face anymore...

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Wednesday that supply chain shortages continue to stress the automaker, and the company is delaying deliveries of the new version of the Roadster until 2023 at the earliest.

Specifically, he tweeted: “2021 has been the year of super crazy supply chain shortages, so it wouldn’t matter if we had 17 new products, as none would ship. Assuming 2022 is not mega drama, new Roadster should ship in 2023.”

- https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/01/elon-mu ... -2023.html

Strange how the company which was so super nimble and vertically integrated it wasn't really affected by the chip shortage wouldn't have been able to launch any new models in 2021 when some other companies have released more new BEV models than Tesla makes in total...

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 2nd, 2021, 10:31 am

Some fascinating graphics on the intended use for Mechazilla:

https://youtu.be/0BlGfisldkE

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 2nd, 2021, 10:53 am

Another boring VW BEV...

Cupra Urban Rebel, based on MEB-Entry platform, sibling of the ID.2, expected 2025.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... 5-urban-ev

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 2nd, 2021, 11:25 am

BobbyD
Another boring VW BEV...

Cupra Urban Rebel, based on MEB-Entry platform, sibling of the ID.2, expected 2025.
n

Who in their right mind puts a racing body out line on an shopping trolly MEB chassis?

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 2nd, 2021, 11:28 am

FSD rolls out Friday next week:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/143 ... 34337?s=20

If all okay 10.1 with public request button rolls out about 2 weeks later:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/143 ... 88128?s=20

Regards,

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » September 2nd, 2021, 11:37 am

odysseus2000 wrote:FSD rolls out Friday next week:

I think the first reply sums it up quite well :)

Replying to @elonmusk

Good I paid $10k for it a year ago lol

And I'm assuming that 'full' self driving is still not actually being delivered.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 2nd, 2021, 12:01 pm

murraypaul wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:FSD rolls out Friday next week:

I think the first reply sums it up quite well :)

Replying to @elonmusk

Good I paid $10k for it a year ago lol

And I'm assuming that 'full' self driving is still not actually being delivered.

Still a beta not a release product and still isn't self driving. Probably explains the FSD uptake graph I posted above....

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”